Looking to buying a Diesel.... Pros and Cons ? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Looking to buying a Diesel.... Pros and Cons ?

Ok fellas i know you guys are the ones to talk to about duramax dilemas. Im buying a duramax and i wanna know some things about the drivetrain that i should look for. Some examples are like . Do you guys prefer the push button 4x4 or the floor shifter? Also like the steering wheel Radio controls or not? What do you guys think the best year duramax is? Auto or stick shift? Is there different rears in any of the d-max's? If so what ones should i look for? What about did they change any of the turbos or anything? Sorry if im getting real picky i just wanna make sure i get the best one that is out. I already screwed up by buying an avalanche when i really didnt want one. So this time around i wanna get the best of the best. Now for what ill be doing with the d-max. I race pro amature 4 wheelers and i travel alot for racing up and down the east coast. Ill be either towing a 21 foot toy hauler with a decent amount of weight in the back with the bikes and tools and gear. But dont get me wrong im gonna wanna make some power out of this thing and play around at the drag strip also. So if you guys can point me in the right direction for what would best fit my situation that would be great. Also im deffinatly gonna wanna be putting about a 6inch lift with possibly 35's or 37's. Thanks ahead of time guys. I appreciate everything this forum has ever taught me.
NewcGadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Trim levels will determine a lot of the options.

I would get an 06 to 07.5 LBZ. ( Early 06 had the LLY motor)

The 07.5 and on LMM have the same drive train, but with the EPA emissions equipment on it.

Browse around some threads in the respective forums dedicated to each model of duramax, and you will get a better idea of what has what.

All duramax trucks have the AA 11.5 inch rear end, various ratios but 3.73 is most common.
bluefx4flare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcGadget View Post
Ok fellas i know you guys are the ones to talk to about duramax dilemas. Im buying a duramax and i wanna know some things about the drivetrain that i should look for. Some examples are like .

Do you guys prefer the push button 4x4 or the floor shifter? I personally like the floor shifter, less electricla to go wrong when you need it most.

Also like the steering wheel Radio controls or not? I like them!

What do you guys think the best year duramax is? they are all good.
Which is the Best depends on which SMALL list of model specific problems you want to deal with. But once the individual bugs are worked out of each they are all good riding, hard working, dependable vehicles.

Auto or stick shift? I prefer Stick, but the Allison is a nice setup....

Is there different rears in any of the d-max's? Rears? Diffs? I believe they are all the same....???

If so what ones should i look for? Refer to above question.

What about did they change any of the turbos or anything?
Early D-max's have a Waste Gate Turbo Set up while all later models are Variable Vain Turbos.

There are a LOT of these trucks out there on the market right now, and many of them are going for a song. Personally I would try to find a dually quad cab that someone has maintained properly and that is priced well below Kelly Blue Book Retail and already has some mods done to it. Like from a distressed Seller that REALLY needs to sell for lack of income

I hope this helps....
bigdaddydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Deffiantly both posts helpped me. Looking for a couple more opinions. Thanks again guys.
NewcGadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I bought my first D-max 1 week ago. I was a die hard manual transmission fan until I drove the D-max with the Allison. That thing is Awesome. I have a 16' cargo trailer full of generators, wacker, tons of framing and trim tools. I can't even feel the trailer behind me. I bought a dually. I thought the thing was going to handle and ride like a dump truck, it's smoother than my 1/2 ton GMC. I've owned 3 Ford diesels and will never drive anything other than the D-max again. There are some killer deals out there right now, you just have to be patient, mines an 02 4x4 X-tra cab with 59K, got it for $17,000. The only thing wrong with it, it's 2 body styles ago, out dated I guess. If you don't have to keep up with your neighbors you can get a new truck for 1/2 price.
pete the hack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Oh yeah, mine has the push button 4 wheel. Love it. I have a great console in place of a floor shifter.
pete the hack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I am new to diesel but I just bought my new truck and love it.I use to have an 04 chevy 2500hd gas and didn't have enough power but this diesel is great so I would recomend an '08 good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Timeless Perfection!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Pros And Cons?

Pro everybody loves them! Con's pulling everyone else out.

I'd go with a older model, the new ones have all the EPA stuff that sucks!
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 SLT Crew Cab, L O N G BED! Leather, Integrated DVD Player,"you know, for the kids!" Banks CAI, PPE ECON stage 2 Installed by BigRedChevy; MBRP 4" SS. Dead CAT Kept the MUFF, Modded turbo mouthpiece
RESONATOR PLUG,EGR Blocker Plate Putco Boss Barz Fat Mud Flaps
" Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Ben Franklin... Wake up AMERICA!"

:blowup
mojo0107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

dollar for dollar I would recommend a LBZ (06 to early 07.5's) due to power, lack of emissions crap and how much power you can make out of em.

If your wallet calls for a LB7 / LLY trucks (01-05) thats ok too, all great motors, great fuel mileage and awesome dependability.

I sell cars, the market sucks. Find a LBZ Duramax you can STEAL and you'll never look back.

*SOLD*2004 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE. Regular Cab. Black / Gray, LLY Duramax, EFI LIVE, Kennedy 4 into 5" exhaust, 6k HID's. 20+ MPG tire smoking monster!

*SOLD* 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT - Crew Cab Long Bed SRW. 8" Fabtec Lift, 24" wheels, 37x13.5x24" Toyo open countries, Dynoflow exhaust, Air raid CAI, Bullydog PMT.

*SOLD* 2006 GMC Sierra SLT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LBZ DMAX. Burgundy / Tan Leather

*SOLD* 2004 Chevy Silverado LT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LLY DMAZ. Charcole / Gray Leather
Jay Carnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

These are all really good points but I found my truck brand new for $29,500 out the door.For that price I had to buy it.Thats what used ones go for.good luck
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.