Spare tire secondary catch (or latch or whatever) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Angry Spare tire secondary catch (or latch or whatever)

Has anybody had problems with GM's piece of crap secondary latch system for the spare tire? I damn near had to pull out a cutting torch tonight to get my spare off. Did you ever try and release it using the manual's instructions and that piece of s__t jack they give you! The spare's going in the box!
07SierraDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member

the only problem i have with mine is the black plastic tube that goes to the piece you spin with jack pieces moves and then you have to fight to get it back over the square piece

2011 GMC 2500hd LML deleted and tuned by Kory, 5' exhaust with XD rims, Level Kit and HID HIGH/LOW beams

Sold - 2008 Chevy K3500HD CC/LB LTZ with LMM Dmax

Sold - 2004 Chevy K2500HD Ext. Cab/LB w/ LLY Dmax
KSL667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Cool Flipping the spare

Apparently the secondary latch is only activated when you have the valve stem pointing down. When I bought the truck the valve stem was up. I turned the spare around so it would be easier to check the pressure. That was a mistake. I would put it back with the stem up if I knew it wouldn't stick again, but I don't want to try it so I don't have to go through that BS again. Maybe I got a dud. Good thing it's still on warranty, guess they're buying me a new one!
07SierraDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
RON PAUL 2012
Lifetime Supporting Member

Ahh thats OK, I used the one on my dodge once and the whole kitten-kabodle was totally shoot, couldnt get the spare up there again
4094avnt, 60% over nozzles, PPE race valve & fuel pickup, AirDog 150, Fitch fuel catalyst
Inglewood SCIV w/1056 C3 oiler, EFI live, Duramaxtuner DSP 5, Edge Insight
ProFab manifold/up pipes & 3" short bridge/boost pipe
HumboldtDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I had the pleasure of fighting with the secondary latch today!!!

I followed the directions in the owners manual on how to release a stuck secondary latch several times but of coarse that didn't work.

Here's how I got it to release...

I used the jack placed to the side to push and hold the wheel up against frame allowing the retaining mechanism to dangle (so you can work on it).

There was enough room to get a screwdriver (or whatever you have that will fit up there to pry with) between the collar and latch to work the latch free. See picture for correct side to pry on...when you're crawling under the vehicle you will be able to only see the very bottom of latch...one side has a notch and the other side doesn't...pry on the side that doesn't have the notch as this is the side that has the catch. By prying on latch arm and pushing alternately on the release button (button at bottom where cable comes through) I was able to free the corroded/dirty latch. BTW...when I got home I checked to see if my son's pickup spare could be lowered and his was stuck too so we did the same procedure to release his.

Pictures are of latch after I got it released...ONLY use for reference for which side to pry on. We decided to cut the catch hook off with an angle grinder so we don't ever have this problem again. DON'T do this as this defeats the safety feature...either clean and lube or replace with a new ratchet/safety lock system.

Last edited by rws53; 04-19-2009 at 04:58 AM.
rws53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Arrow

It is called the spare tire winch assembly..I had to buy one for another Chevrolet I had!!
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

i uh, dont run a spare. but if i did and that happened i wouldnt be happy either

1016 hp

7.1 1/8 @ 100

11.27 @ 105
delong_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Lightbulb have 2 spares on mounted,one extra full size tire,ready to mount

Spare stays in my bed against headache rack,hell with fighting with that retarded tubing not lining up at the winch side of things..
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I was at work one day and I hear my boss calling me over the radio to come out to the parking lot as soon as I'm available. He knows I'm never available and normally only talks to me when he needs automotive help. I go out and he has a flat tire. "The flat wont come off and the spare wont come down, c'mon Chevy guy " I kicked the flat soo hard twice the truck almost fell off the POS jack then just turned the spare about a 1/4 turn and it came loose and lowered right down. I walked away while he stood there and said nothing. If you turn the flange that goes thru the hole in the wheel it will work the catch loose...thats my theory anyway.

Good luck with that, Tom
Old 05-25-2009, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

are there any more pieces of advice for this problem? gt a flat thursday, couldnt get the spare off and tried for an hour this afternoon without success. i sprayed some prolong lube with hopes of getting it to free before reading this thread....

thanks.

dave

2013 LML CC
additions to come soon....
djmercer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.