Hand calc vs. DIC mpg question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
CNE

Hand calc vs. DIC mpg question

So it seems that everyone accepts the DIC fuel mileage calculator to be inaccurate and trusts the hand calculation method. My question is why?

There are known deficiencies with the flow rate measurements on your local gas pump. Temperature plays a role in fluid density which determines how much of that 'gallon' you actually get (you should try to fill up during the coolest part of the day). Also, the faster you pump, the more vapor is created within the fuel. The vapor gives false readings on the flow meter (you should fuel slowly to maximize your 'gallon'). Excessive fuel vapor and foam can also cause the pump to shut off early.

So basically, the system isn't perfect.

Now this is where my real question comes in: What is the precision of the fuel metering device on our trucks. These engines have precision fuel delivery systems, which would make me think that they can monitor fuel usage to extreme accuracy. This would theoretically be able to give a more accurate average and instantaneous fuel mileage report. Is this not the case? Or does GM purposely inflate the numbers (in the ecm) to make people think they are getting better mileage than they are?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Edge Insight CTS
CNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I have compared the last 18 fillups on my truck and the DIC averages 2 MPG better than actual hand calculate. I have considered changing the tire size in the ppe to compensate but am pretty sure if I do that the speedo will be off. I do not know of a way to calibrate the fuel mileage calculator.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
CNE

I have similar results, just wondering if anyone has experience with the fuel flow meter on the duramax, that could explain why we generally trust the hand calc over the potentially more accurate DIC.
Edge Insight CTS
CNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Sometimes my DIC mpg avg is the same as my hand calc. & when my DIC avg mpg is off, its by 1-1.5 mpg.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
King of Battle
Lifetime Supporting Member

snopes.com: Tips on Pumping Gas

I hand calc and monitor DIC every fill up, sometimes they are on some times they aint but they are usually pretty close. Either way i still do both.
RCD 6", 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, MBRP 4"/6" Stack, Reso Delete, Sleeves, HID 6k, PPE Airbox Mod, EFI Live from KW, SDP EGR Delete, Nicktane Fuel Adapter w/ CAT 2 micron, Magnaflow DP, ADII 165 w/ CAT 2 micron, LFS Traction Bars, 3 POD Pillar, EGT Guage, Boost Guage, Digital DSP5, PPE PISK, Cognito UCAs
Waiting to be installed:
Transgo JR.

WhiteLBZPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

My DIC is off, but it is consistantly off by the same amount. So I do go by it, I just add 2.5 mpg and it is accurate.
07' Chevy Silverado LT3 ccsb LBZ. 8" Bulletproof lift kit(junk), Fox shocks, EFI Live by Kory, Edge CTS Insight, 4" Silverline downpipe back exhaust, PPE FPR shims, PPE fuel rail fitting, pcv reroute, resonator plug, Transgo jr, S&B Intake, Amp steps, 20" XD Racing wheels, 36" Goodyear Duratrac tires, Air Lift rear air bags with wireless compressor, billet grill, debadged, Caddy gauges.

77' Ford F-250 factory highboy. 460, hooker headers, 3" flowmaster exhaust, MSD ignition, Comp Cam, Edelbrock high rise intake, Holley 750 cfm double pumper carb, Holley fuel lift pump, Autometer gauges, 3" lift kit, 38" Toyo tires, 18" Weld wheels.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.