Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

miles per gallon

6K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  mott555 
#1 ·
What should the duramax be getting loaded and unloaded?

#2 ·
Depends on how you drive and how heavy the load is loaded.

Empty I can get 20 really have to be trying and where is the fun in that. 17-18 is a good average for me. I live off a highway rarely any city driving.

13-15 towing average

#3 ·
That's a broad question. DPF days I'd overall average 12-13 mixed driving. Few mostly highway trips were like 15 average and the one time towing 5K single axle concrete pump was 15 average. Post DPF days an even mix has been 16 average and pretty much all highway is 18-19. I loose a ton of fuel on surface streets because that skinny peddle is so fun haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Haha smiles per gallon that's funny I'm gunna start telling people that, but I just figured mine up I get 13 on the highway which really blows weiner but I still have the dpf n all that junk on right now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
#13 ·
Before the tires I was getting 19-21 out on the road and around 15-16 in town. Now it's about 18+\-mpg on the road and around 12 to 14 in town depending on my driving mood swings :gearjamin

#16 ·
Highway cruising 75-80 w/cruise I get 18.5-19
In town, probably 13-14
When I am towing my 5th wheel (14,000) cruising 70-75 I have been averaging 10.2-11.4 depending on the number of continental divides I have to cross!

#17 ·
Avg hwy 18, city avg 14, & towing avg 9.

#18 ·
HIGHWAY
DIC Shows 19
Hand Calculated 18.5

CITY
DIC Shows 14
Hand Calculated 15

MIXED
DIC Shows 16.5
Hand Calculated 16.7

These are all averages. All stock with about 200-300lbs of tools at all times and running 285/70/17.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
I never trust the DIC! I have always hand calculated my mileage. My 04 LB7 would routinely get between 11-13 city/western pa backroad driving, and between 19-21 highway driving empty. Between 10-12 city/backroad and 17-19 highway loaded.

Now, my 13 LML blows that out of the water so far! Keep in mind that as of typing this I have only 3200 miles on it, but so far my hand calculations are as follows. Between 13-15 city/backroad and up to 27 on the highway!!!

Just yesterday I had to drive up to Painesville Ohio. Topped off the tank before I left. I have the 36 gallon tank. Took I-79 to I-80 to Ohio 11 to US-6 to Ohio 608 as my route. Round trip of 267 miles, and burned just two butthairs over 1/4 of a tank for the whole trip. I calculated this trip out to 26mpg. This was also factoring in the added 1100lbs of cabinetry I had crammed in the bed.

So, to answer the OP's question... It depends on the persons driving habits, the roads, and speeds. Brand new, I am actually not surprised my LML is getting as good of mileage as it is... I am pretty sure what I am getting now, is about as good as it is going to get. ANYONE tells you they are getting better than 30 highway, or say... 20 city... Call bull$hit!!! LOL

#20 ·
Absolute best I have ever got is 20.6 MPG. That was empty highway miles at 60 miles an hour. I let the wife drive home that trip and now I have to listen to her tell me I need to slow down so we can get better mileage! Best I (myself, not the wife:rolleyes:)have gotten is 19.8 empty, that was driving about 68 with a slight tail wind. I usually get about 16 -17 around home, that is mixed freeway and in town.

Towing a 7500 lb travel trailer, I get 11-12 MPG usually, depend on the hills I have to go over. Have got as low as 9 once with mostly in the hills but I don't slow down much going up hill.:D

#21 ·
I get 17mpg average and 12-14 towing depending on weight.

Im on 33's though so that doesnt help me. lol

#22 ·
18 to 21 empty, 10 to 13.5 loaded.

#23 ·
Not sure on loaded because I rarely tow, but normally I get 23 highway and 16 city. On the rare occasion that I'm on a flat highway I can get 25 mpg, and I've even seen a steady 30 when I had a strong tailwind the whole way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.