Proper way to drive a diesel? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
4-stroke diesel engines like to be kept at high RPMs.
Good cuz I always try to keep mine above 3,000 rpm
ARP Studs
Built Front End
Need more Air and Fuel
12.830@105.86mph
The S.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S.O.M. View Post
Good cuz I always try to keep mine above 3,000 rpm
I was about to say my trans would kill me but you took care of that!

OP really the biggest thing is let it warm up and cool down!
- 20in monster XDs- 33in Toyo MTs-
Recon tail lights & 3rd brake light.
EFI Live by kory! (DSP5)
Thanks to Jared King
@ King's Diesel Performance!
Josh828LLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

People get the idea that because they own a diesel truck, that they can abuse the hell out of it and it will last forever, and that usually mean's abusing routine maintenance like oil changes, fuel filter changes, air filter changes and so forth. Just make sure that you have a strict maintenance schedule with a good oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, transmission filter and so on. Some people also rev it sky high in the morning to warm it up, and treat it like a gas engine by driving it 5 minutes then shutting it off. That can lead to premature wear on the engine and turbo. I'd invest in an autostart and in the morning start it up and let it idle for awhile then when you get to x let it idle for 5 minutes before shutting it down. Get in it and under it once and awhile and check for problem's like leaks, lose drive shafts, abnormal tire wear, worn suspension part's like tie rod's and pitman arms. Some also get the idea since it's a diesel engine that they can throw a programmer or tuning at it and never worry about it breaking, then 100 mile's later they have a limped transmission. If you're looking for some tuning software look into EFI live; hundred's of page's of info on this site about it. I know a guy with a 6.0 PSD who does all of bad thing's i've mentioned combined, and I am just waiting for it to mess up and have him say "you were right." With that being said don't be afraid to drive you're truck hard, it deserve's it once in and a while.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

It takes a little more attention & a little more maintenance - but, it's a lot more fun.

Welcome.

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

The best investment you can make is to get an EGT gauge to monitor exhaust gas temperature. I keep EGTs below 1150 when towing heavy up steep grades by downshifting and idle down to <350 before shutoff. A short 1 minute warmup should be enough, just don't push it until it warms up. Also, I don't drive mine unless I'm going to be putting at least 15 miles on it, worst thing you can do to any vehicle is start it up, drive a short distance and shut it off.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 03:23 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWIracer772 View Post
Ive also heard of rolling onto the gas? Not sure what that means, and heard of letting off the gas when the trans shifts. Any info is appreciated!
You don't need to let off for shifts, the truck will defuel on it's own.

As for rolling on the gas, That has more to do with using the trucks powerband. In a gas truck, if you want to pass a car you mash the gas pedal, let it kick down a gear and let the RPMs pulling you around the car. With a diesel you roll on the throttle, build boost, and let the turbo pull you around the car.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
KAWIracer772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

Buy your fuel from busy stations that sell alot of Diesel. And keep your fuel filter changed every 10,000 miles.

Other tips...
-if you ever get a no-start... the odds are it's from air in the fuel system. There is a bleeder and primer button on top of the fuel filter. Prime it up till the bulb is hard to restart the truck.

I mention this becase (many people dont know) these Duramax's don't have a fuel pump that pushes fuel from he tank. It has a fuel pump in the motor that sucks fuel from the tank. Any air leak can cause a no-start.

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.