Radiater Flush - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Radiater Flush

This is my first day on this forum.. and I'm glad that found it!

My question is "How do I flush the coolant out of the engine and radiator?" I have a 2003 3500HD diesel 6.0 Duramax.

Also, what is the best anti-freeze to use?
bbmuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 12:37 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

radiator flush

Well best way would be to take it to a qualified place for a complete flush, it is just a lot easier using those machines that collect all used coolant ( you shouldn't just dump it somewhere ) and replace it with new, as for what kind to use , follow your owner's manual specs. chevy requires dex-cool antifreeze.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:37 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Smoked Ya!

Welcome to the site. I love doing my own maintenance but usually the radiator flush is a messy job. The dealer will usually charge under $100 bucks for this service which they will use the flushing machine.

If not, just like any other radiator flush, warm it to operating temp, use distelled water let it run and then flush the system. I like GM Dexcool.
Rollin Smoke Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Self Mainted

I like to my own maintenance also. I helps me feel more confidence in the truck if I know how to work on it.

Is there a good website that you can get Service/Maintenance information?
bbmuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Well, first of all, it's not a "6.0". You aren't driving a FORD son!!!! Anyhoo, yeah, do take it to a place that can do it for you so they can get rid of the old coolant for you. How many miles are on your truck? The Dex-Cool is good for 100,000 miles. Good luck and to the forum!

2005 liLLY 4x4..... ZF 6 Speed , no muffler, lost kitty, Autometer C2 Pyro and Boost Gauges, EGR Blocker Plate, PCV Re-route, Resonator delete, By-Pass Dual Filtration, Amsoiled front to rear, Fumoto Valve, Texas Ranger CB.
:usa proud to be an American!! :usa
112,000 MILES and counting

1999 Park Avenue 36' 5ver
2002 Hart 6-Horse GN
2 Welsh Corgis and 1 Aussie Shepherd
byronbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Like the others are saying, it is a touch messy doing it yourself. There are a few options to choose from with brands of flush so make sure you read the instructions before you use any of it. Some require a drain of the whole system before using which is time consuming while others will work with the coolant you have now. Most shops can do this for a $50.00 bill. You may consider a bottle of water pump lube once the flush is done just for good measure. It has always scared me flushing a coolant system.

GM does recommend Dex Cool, but several companies out there make a universal antifreeze that works just as well if not better that are a little cheaper. Also, there is some debate on the quality of the Dex Cool coolant in some aspects ( GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool ) and I believe there are lawsuits pending. The price is not that big an issue, I just like the convienence of having an antifreeze I can use in my truck, Tahoe, tractors and race car without worrying about pouring Orange in with the green, etc. I prefer to use Amsoils coolant. It is biodegradable and goes for 7 years or 250K miles.
Littlered47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There is no such thing as a generic coolant, compatable with all others. Anyone marketing such, is a fraud.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
There is no such thing as a generic coolant, compatable with all others. Anyone marketing such, is a fraud.

There in fact IS such a thing. Here is a little info. for you to chew on........(derived from Prestone's web site) "Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum. "

P.S.
Prestone is not the only company to manufacture such coolant.
Littlered47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Don't be afraid to use the Dex Cool- just remember one thing is for sure- do not let it get lower than what you can see in your reservoir- any part of your radiator above the water line is prone to corrosion while Dex Cool is in the system. Not trying to be smarter than anyone else here, but I attend the Texaco Xpress Lube owners and operators conventions every year. We have oppotunities to talk to Texaco engineers about this kind of stuff. If you need more info, PM me and I will gladly supply you more- Jason
lubeman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

engine coolant issues

i've got a 2005 lly duramax, i've had a repair shop flush my coolant (at least I [I]paid[I] them to do so), and i have problems.... first, my engine acts as if it's too hot when i pull ANYTHING, (and I am aware that perhaps the best fix is to get rid of the lly engine...), and second, no matter how many times i top off the coolant, within hours, I am at low coolant. - NO, I don't have a leak, it just spews out the overflow. Any suggestions?
2005 lly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.