When to plug-in - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

When to plug-in

I was just wondering when everyone starts plugging in there diesels in.I live in the Boston area and usaly only plugged in when very cold,only if I thought it would have trouble starting.But a guy I know starts just after Thanksgiving every day unless theres a warm spell to avoid cold start wear in the motor.Do you guys think it is worth the wear on heating element and expence of electricity to run every night to avoid cold start wear from happening.Mabey we should do a poll to see what everyone likes,if I only knew how.
jmac5058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

My rule of thumb is when it gets down between 32-23f(0--5c in canada) I start plugging in. It helps the cab air warm up faster and it is easier to start. Just use a timer and have it come on about 2-3 hours before you normally leave and you'll be fine. Some guys have reported a cel after having it plugged in all night due to coolant temp differing from engine temp iirc, so just use a timer and you'll be fine.
05 cc/sb slt, leveled w/285's, Ultra peacemaker rims, delta toolbox, PPE standard, 4" mbrp w/cat delete :rockin egr block, pvc rerouted, skull foglamp covers:rockin http://www.huskerdiesel.com http://performancetruckproducts.com
loners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks I like the timer idea that sounds much economical and less wear and tear.An doing it from freezing and below is good to go?
jmac5058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

you can plug it in anytime its below freezing but by no means is it "mandatory"

Mine starts fine in -20* (f) without being plugged in...takes forever to get any heat though.

ben

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

just as an example here is my truck at -7* (f) starting up. The whining is the power steering pump.

sitting outside all night, not plugged in, ONE battery (everyone thinks they need two batteries to start/run), lower than stock compression etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iA72Mzv9ek

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

That just looks way to cold for me. But I do live in the south, if it gets 25* here people thinke their going to die.LOL
2005 LLY CC SB 4X4 Ranch Hand Bumpers, 265/75/16 BFG'S A/T'S, EGR Blocked and FingerSticked, MB Gunner 8 Wheels, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with MBRP Cat Delete Front Pipe, AFE Bladerunner MP, PCV Reroute, All Lights ON Mood, Nicktane CAT fuel filter, AirDog 100, Amsoil Fluids and more go fast goodies soon!.
BIGON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

The bible says below 0 F / -18C and for a minimum of 4 hours, minimum of 8 hours if below that. If above that sometimes you can throw a P0181 which is a warning that the conditions are ripe for fuel to gel. To avoid the P0181, they say best thing if not too cold is warm it up running for a few. There is a few variables to set a P0181
Crap Iron Cross Automotive Nerf Bars - NOT RECOMMENDED!!
Helpful Helm GM Service Manuals - like... 9000 pages!!
Rescue VHF Radio, Jotto Desk Laptop command center, Rescue Gear, Lotsa Flashy LED's, Shinny Decals
Haulin B&W Turn Over Ball & Companion, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Lift Bags, '14 Heartland Warrior Toy Hauler, (12000lb dry), Kayaks, Harley
DuraMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Banned

plug mine in pretty much everyday now since it's getting cold here. Was 39* this morning at my house and I park outside. Also rigged up a windter front cover.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
plug mine in pretty much everyday now since it's getting cold here. Was 39* this morning at my house and I park outside. Also rigged up a windter front cover.
Seriously! how cold does it get out there?

I haven't dug for my plug yet this year..she has been sleeping inside the garage though and hasn't been out for about 3 weeks. Last year there was a couple nights here that I had it in the heated garage to thaw out and plugged in to keep it warm....it was bad for Indiana. -degrees for a few days in row.

-68mm Cheetah w/ 4" dp
-DSP5 and G-Max5/1058 by Fleece Performance (473/871)stock turbo
-Leveling kit, 33" ATZ's 18" Ultra Predators
-shim kit, egr and resonator blocked
-Cognito Braces, PPE tie rod sleeves,60" traction bars
-4" banks turbo back and 5" MBRP miter cut stack
-AFE mouthpiece, K&N Stainless intake, AirDog 150
-Cowl hood, spray in bed liner
maxthis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

I plug mine in when its below 20. It starts fine without it, but I like having heat within a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.