6.5 turbo diesel 1998 motors - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: are 6.5 turbo diesel 1998 motors good
does anyone know what problems they have with these motors 0 0%
how long or many miles are they good for 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

6.5 turbo diesel 1998 motors

does any one know if these are good motors for how long do they last what problems do they have with them thanks
puller75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Hello and welcome to the forum!!

I own 2 6.5 motors and they are great motors. The 6.5 didnt change from when they started making them and when they stopped making them. The only difference that Ive seen are some are turbo and some arent. The main problems I know of is the fuel pump injector driver goes bad and makes the motor shut off (happened to mine) The old driver is hard to get to but you can get a after market one that that relocates it and is alot easiar to replace and takes about 20minutes.

Second problem is the injection pump itself. These usually start to go bad after 120,000 miles +? No real time. There kind of hard to replace and you need a scan tool to adjust once the new ones on.

Other problem. The heads will crack under extreame heat. Not real common but possible.

Last known problem is the crankshaft can break in halph. This also happened to mine... Thats also extreamly extreamly rare.

What are you looking into? Good luck!!
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 12:26 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I sell cars / trucks for a living & own a dealership. I mostly do Diesel trucks & I would say the 6.5 is a "ok" motor - as Towmaster said the Injection pumps are very common & very expensive, I've also seen a fair share of them with blown head gaskets. They didn't have alot of power but people seem to like them for how easy they are to convert to run on biodiesel / vegi-oil. I have had some of these motors with well over 200k miles and they are still tickin'. As with any late 90's Diesel motor they have characteristics - 7.3 Powerstrokes loose high pressure oil pumps & turbo pedestals & oil pans, cummins loose lift pumps as well & blow trannies into pieces.

As with anything they have ups & downs! The duramax is just leaps & bounds better than the 6.5 in every way. Duramax is king!

*SOLD*2004 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE. Regular Cab. Black / Gray, LLY Duramax, EFI LIVE, Kennedy 4 into 5" exhaust, 6k HID's. 20+ MPG tire smoking monster!

*SOLD* 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT - Crew Cab Long Bed SRW. 8" Fabtec Lift, 24" wheels, 37x13.5x24" Toyo open countries, Dynoflow exhaust, Air raid CAI, Bullydog PMT.

*SOLD* 2006 GMC Sierra SLT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LBZ DMAX. Burgundy / Tan Leather

*SOLD* 2004 Chevy Silverado LT. 4x4 Crew Shorty LLY DMAZ. Charcole / Gray Leather
Jay Carnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I had A 94 and a 98 6.5, They were good motors (at least in my case) Not real powerhouses like Jay said but they always started and I didnt have a single problem with mine...I think the 94 had a injection pump before i bought it but i drove it from 105,000 to 150,000 with no problems, and the 98 i drove till about 150,000 with no pump replaced on it...
I loved the truck untill i test drove my Duramax!!
KB Modded mouthpiece---->melted
Hook'em modded air box--->melted

That's what I had...untill the block heater caught fire and burned her down!
ajs2379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.