How to tell if fuel is gelled? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

How to tell if fuel is gelled?

Well I have been busy and havent driven my truck since christmas. Since then its been cold here and I dont even remember last time I got fuel so Im not sure if I got winter blend.

So I sorta got 2 questions. Is there and way to tell if the fuel is gelled without starting it? Also, does fuel ungell? Like its suppose to be 30 next week. Should I start it then and add additive?

I feel like a idiot
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Legennn... wait for it...

Try priming it at the fuel filter. If nothing comes out and the button is solid, then you've got a good chance that it's Jell-O. Last time mine actually froze up, I let it thaw on its own... problem with doing that is that ice crystals can form in there, and that could cause you to have to change the fuel filter out.
4" Diamond Eye w/ MBRP Straight-thru muffler

1984 GMC S-15 RCLB
Isuzu C223, Borg Warner T-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDoc
I just came rays of sunshine due to the joy I feel right now
Got questions? Help us all out by filling out your signature with your ride's year, make model, and any modifications you've made.
KKami361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

Just try starting it up Jason. If it starts, and the engine will rev faster than idle, you're probably fine.

Also, the antigel additives mix best with warmer fuel, so it's best to add it when you fill up since the fuel is ~50-55*F from being underground.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
Lifetime Supporting Member

thats why you put in addative before you let it sit
SoCal Cam
Mahle Forged Pistons .040 ovr
Hamilton Rods
Floor it pump
Dipper sticks
ATS Trans/CoPilot/TC
Other Stuff...
seth999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Thanks guys! Well its suppose to be 40 here tomorrow. Im gonna trry to start it around lunch time

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth999 View Post
thats why you put in addative before you let it sit
What the hell? :kick1
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

what is it with U.S. fuel any canucks had gellin problems? mine was good right thru our cold (-40*C) snap
lostscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostscout View Post
what is it with U.S. fuel any canucks had gellin problems? mine was good right thru our cold (-40*C) snap
Canadian standards are far superior to the U.S
Never heard of a canuck gellin unless of course they got some U.S fuel........Ive been down to -55*C with pump fuel no problems... except cold feet

LMM RIP 10/9/10

maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKami361 View Post
Try priming it at the fuel filter. If nothing comes out and the button is solid, then you've got a good chance that it's Jell-O. Last time mine actually froze up, I let it thaw on its own... problem with doing that is that ice crystals can form in there, and that could cause you to have to change the fuel filter out.
How would you know if there are crystals in the filter? My truck started to gel and limp 2 weeks ago. I poured some addative in and Walla - no problem since? Some say once they form they never go away? How would I know other than watch mileage for awhile?
Performance EFI LIVE DSP5 Idaho Rob's Magic, ADII 165 lift pump, 5in flo-pro exhaust, ADP DP, Transgo Jr. shift kit & Transynd swap, Autometer Boost and Pyro Guages, EGR BLOCK, PCV reroute, resonator cap, PPE Airbox MOD
Suspension Tuff Country 6" with Moog TieRods, Billsteins, 20in Helo, MT FCII 35's, Cognito full travel air bags w/Firestone Air Rite controls
Towing Drawtite Activator III, Anderson Drop Rapid Hitch, B&W companion slide 5er hitch
Appearance.....just because Linex Bedliner, billet grill, Wheel-to-wheel nerf bars, AstroStart, HIDs "all on", Denali Door Handles, Colormatch visors and bugsheild
On the Shop Floor New Trans cooler lines, Redline PS fluid flush
viking00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

ive let my truck sit for three months this winter cuz i lost my license and started her up in minus 30 weather snd she started like normal. damn right canadians have hhigher standards just look at our women ahahh. alberta beef= nice alberta ass aahah
Nitto terra s, 2'' leveling kit,
Fab four front bumper
QS2 70 hp tune
LB7 403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shot View Post
Just try starting it up Jason. If it starts, and the engine will rev faster than idle, you're probably fine.

Also, the antigel additives mix best with warmer fuel, so it's best to add it when you fill up since the fuel is ~50-55*F from being underground.
unless you here where some places have above ground tanks...

2013 LML CC
additions to come soon....
djmercer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.