Gas vs diesel muffler - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Gas vs diesel muffler

I've read about exhausts or muffler being a diesel specific or "not a gasser muffler." What is the difference? I kinda figured a chambered muffler is no good but what about a straight threw design. I have a Pypes muffler which is 3'' staight threw, fiberglass packed, would that be okay to run. Stock is to quiet but straight piped is just obnoxious and crappy sounding. I will upgrade to 4 or 5 inch eventually, just what alittle sound out of it for now.
92 TY 1173 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Most diesel mufflers are sort of like a "cherry bomb" and go straight through. I think most gasser mufflers have baffles and will start to clog with soot.

Now most people want to make there exhaust bigger but the stock duramax exhaust is a 3.5 not a 3. Also Im not sure if you ever heard a diesel without a muffler but they are NOTHING like a gasser without a muffler. They sound awesome! I have my dmax straight piped and love it!

If your trying to save money and mod the stock exhaust to try to get extra sound Id remove the cat if your truck has one. The cat is the most restrictive and removing that will increase power and sound
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I have mine straight piped now and hate it. I hate the raspy sound in the higher rpm's, just like a cherry bomb. Nice low tone at idle, after that not so much. I had a 12v cummins that was straight piped and that sounded awsome. Low throaty tone but at higher rpm's no rasp. I have no cat so that's no worry. Oh well guess I'll deal with it for now.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:24 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TY 1173 View Post
I have mine straight piped now and hate it. I hate the raspy sound in the higher rpm's, just like a cherry bomb. Nice low tone at idle, after that not so much. I had a 12v cummins that was straight piped and that sounded awsome. Low throaty tone but at higher rpm's no rasp. I have no cat so that's no worry. Oh well guess I'll deal with it for now.
I have a Flowmaster 50 series 4" single muffler on my truck and I think its a sick sound all around. listen to my chip at youtube.com/mromoney and tell me what you think.
PPE Standend set on 40hp/160trq and Boost valve Single Flowmaster 4" with a SS 5" tip, two Interstate battery 800 CCA
mromoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Hmm ya alot of duramax's have a raspy sound at high RPM's. I know mine does. My buddy had a straight piped LLY and it sound way different then mine. I really liked it. I think some sound different due to the turbo
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I finally put a muffler back on it. I ended up getting a Pypes 3.5" straight through muffler. All stainless, nice low rumble at idle and great gas V-8 sound up high. Only cost me $75. I know its stock size but I will go bigger eventually.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:11 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Where did you get if from?
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI
MBRP 4" turbo back w/5" tip
Moto Metal 16 x 9 (hopefully 285's soon!)

04 GMC Yukon Denali
07 Honda Rancher 400 w/ITP Mudlites!
WorkTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.