Spring Slapping - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Spring Slapping

My wife has a 2010 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. The top helper spring on the rear slaps against the snubbers bolted to the frame. When empty you have to hit a big bump for it to happen. However when 500 to 1000 lb load on it the noise will drive you nuts just going down the interstate. Just had it to the dealer and they are trying to be helpful However tech told them that was just the way it was with that weight range. That just happens to be the tongue weight of her horse trailer which is all the truck does. They have ordered some aftermarket rubber caps to go on the spring ends to try that.
The truck also has a growling noise in the left front and is already scalping the (General grrrrrr) tires at 3500 miles. They did a minor alignment but it sure sounds like a brake rotor or bearing which they say they have checked.
Anyone with experience with either problem. This is my first post but when Mama is not happy nobody is happy.
Ford Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 10:13 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

check you wheel bearings. i know chevys dont have the best record with wheel bearings
Trans built and tuned by Bob at Twisted Diesel
Need new parts? www.trollperformance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdweezel05 View Post
Some day I will do twins. Twins have been a dream of mine for years. I would also like to put them on my truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
Yup, you definitely wouldn't have passed the dipshit screening.
clevy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Spring Slapping

Guys I need some help! Is the spring slapping issue on our 2010 Sierra 3500 dually an issue with all of them or is there something bad wrong with ours? It has 3600 miles and I drove it home a couple of days ago with 600 lb. feed in the bed and it makes so much noise in the read that it is almost unbearable. I have to figure out which way to go with this thing. If it cant be fixed I have major decisions to make. thanks somebody help!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Banned

Go to a diffrent dealer, i have single rear wheel and pull a 11,000 boat with a 500 lb tounge weight regularly from nc to fl with over a thousand lbs in bed and never had a problem, something is wrong.
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

As for the tire, got a bad bfg one time and it had lots of road noise, vibration and was cupping real bad, bfg replaced it at no cost.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Spring Slapping

Smokin- does your truck have the single top helper spring above the main leaf- that is unattached on each end- with the snubber for lack of a better term bolted to the frame at each end? Our 2500HD does not have that and no problems. However on the 3500 empty you have to hit a big bump to get any slap and if you load it heavy enough to make the snubbers sit down on the top helper spring- no noise. However anything in between it sounds like the whole rear end is coming out from under it and that is no exaggeration. Thanks FB
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I am sorry to hear you are having problems like this with your new truck. I agree with smokinlmm Ė find a different dealership. Obvious but, did you check for a broken or blown rear shock - broken shackle?

My 08 dually is the best truck I have ever owned and has had none of the issues you have, towing, loaded, or empty. My top helper springs do not move with only 500lbs. I have recently downsized to a "bumper pull" horse trailer that weighs in at around 8000 when it is loaded up and I barely know it is back there. I donít have a tongue weight but it is heavy - it levels the truck.

You may have a bad OEM tire but did you check your tire pressures? You really need to back off on your tire pressures with a dually when your empty or they will cup, as well as loosen your fillings.

It would help if you filled out your signature. Perhaps someone here that is in your area can recommend a dealership with a competent service department.
Reese "Tow Beast" Class V Receiver
Rhino Bed Liner (Not recommended)
AMSOIL Remote Bypass with Precharger and FilterMag
PCV Reroute
Mag-Hytec Differential Cover and Deep Transmission Pan
15.1 Calculated Average MPG (empty)
SS Brake Lines
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Heated Washer Fluid by Alpha Therm
GMC4Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Baldwin View Post
Smokin- does your truck have the single top helper spring above the main leaf- that is unattached on each end- with the snubber for lack of a better term bolted to the frame at each end? Our 2500HD does not have that and no problems. However on the 3500 empty you have to hit a big bump to get any slap and if you load it heavy enough to make the snubbers sit down on the top helper spring- no noise. However anything in between it sounds like the whole rear end is coming out from under it and that is no exaggeration. Thanks FB
Your description of your rear spring setup is the same as mine.
Reese "Tow Beast" Class V Receiver
Rhino Bed Liner (Not recommended)
AMSOIL Remote Bypass with Precharger and FilterMag
PCV Reroute
Mag-Hytec Differential Cover and Deep Transmission Pan
15.1 Calculated Average MPG (empty)
SS Brake Lines
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Heated Washer Fluid by Alpha Therm
GMC4Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

No overload springs on my rig, my buddy has a 09 dualie and his does, and it rides great no excessive noise from rear. Think your truck has an issue (used to work at local chevy dealer and have seen inexpirenced car haulers damage the suspension on more than one vehicle by improperly strapping it). Take it to a diffrent dealer if yours won't look for the problem, or don't know how to diagnos it.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Spring Slapping

Since I am new I am ignorant on the signature page. I just upgraded my membership but how do I do the signature page. I live in Austin, Arkansas (30 miles NE of Little Rock)which is somewhat smaller than Austin TX! We had a 2008 2500HD which too was an excellent vehicle except for the small fuel tank. Dealer offered wife within spittin distance of what she paid new and she ordered a 2011 Denalli. Hope we didnt mess up. My dealer is excellent and they are trying to be helpful but I got to have some relief. We are taking it and horse trailer to CO elk hunting for 3 weeks and I am dreading the drive just because of the noise. Thanks FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.