Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

right upper ball joint is gone and have a torn boot

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fmoore 
#1 ·
I did my brakes today and I see my right axel boot is torn. Can I replace the boot or do I need to do the whole axel? It makes no noise.

And my right upper ball joint is loose. For the age of the truck, I know the bushings are probably junk. Should I just by the whole control arm with bushings and ball joint?

Should I do both upper and lower control arms on both sides? Truck has about 190,000km's.

#3 ·
The best way to do the upper ball joint is by replacing that upper arm. Do them both. I don't know if the CV boot can be replaced by itself, I'd just replace the entire axle. It's an easy job with a 36mm socket and an impact gun. Call the DMax store and see if they'll give you a good deal on a package.

#4 ·
I would check all bushing and ball joints and replace what is needed, unfortunately I think it's cheaper and easier to replace the axle as opposed to boot. Should be easy to change the axle.

#5 ·
I've changed axles before, but I did the axel because I knew it was worn which is why I wanted to know if I can just do the boot if the axel is fine.

So both upper arms?

If the lower ones look ok should I leave them?

#6 ·
Replace the cv axle as a unit - 70 bucks or so.
You can buy the grease and a boot - many guys have, but nobody's done it a second time.
Get the Moog uppers - $92.88 with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CK620053-Control-Ball-Joint/dp/B00FJW4PDC/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1448343384&vehicle=2007-47-494------------2-0&sr=1-14&ymm=2007%3Achevrolet%3Asilverado+2500+hd

When I changed my lower control arm bushings and ball joints, the bushings looked new.
But . . . . you can't tell unless you take them out!

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.