Power steering hose noise - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Power steering hose noise

Hello all,

First post but I'm sure to be here a long time.

I have a 2006 2500 Duramax and the steering wheel is making a horrible whining noise at certain intervals. What I mean is you can turn it to say, 2:00 I checked everything out and from what I can tell, the power steering hose is the culprit. When you turn the wheel the hose vibrates so fast it goes blurry. If you grab the hose it feels like you are holding a suped up sonic tooth brush! Have any of you heard of such a thing? The steering wheel noise is super annoying and needs to go away now!

Thanks!
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Bump.... Similar lssue

SOLD
04 Chevy LB7 D-Max BLACK SMOKE MAFIA
EFI Live, Dual cat stacks, sleeves, PPE boost valve, Autometer boost/pyro, PPE high idle, And some look good parts
paytonlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I suggest you replace the fluid -- sometimes that corrects a lot of the problems.

The hose is not the problem!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Firefighter/EMT-B
Supporting Member

does it sound like it is in the steering wheel???
reason i ask is because if it sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel area it could poosibly be sir coil making noise. they make a whining type noise sometimes when they get a lot of wear on them, only fix is to replace the sir coil.
Goodyear Dura Tracs
3" GM SS Steps
Cool-Vue Mirrors
Recon Xenon Headlight Bulbs
4" Flo-Pro Turbo Back Dual Exhaust

WWW.CENTRALFLORIDADURAMAX.COM

Last edited by Firefighter02; 11-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Firefighter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter02 View Post
does it sound like it is in the steering wheel???
reason i ask is because if it sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel area it could poosibly be sir coil making noise. they make a whining type noise sometimes when they get a lot of wear on them, only fix is to replace the sir coil.
Thank You. When you are driving it sounds like it is coming right from the steering wheel but you can hear it outside the vehicle as well so...I dont know. I didnt even think about the clockspring since you can hear it outside of the vehicle but it's an easy thing to check out so I will check that next. If it's not that then I will follow JC 1843s advice and replace the power steering fluid. Thanks to all that responded!

I own a collision repair shop and it's amazing how many names there are for parts (sir coil/clockspring). I have a hard time keeping up on all of them!
06 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab LLY, MBRP CP Cool Duals, Injen Intake, T-Rex Billet Grille, Raptor 5" Magnum side bars, Pro Comp 20x10 wheels, 285 55/20Nitto Terra Graplers, Diablo Trinity , Bak Flip bed cover and other stuff...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Word Up
Lifetime Supporting Member

have you checked the fluid level

LMM Twinz N sum shyt ATP Tuned

02 LB7 to be EFI'd this week.

cainer70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I did the DIY fluid flush about 5 months ago. It helped the problem but didn't get rid of it.
Whodaman could you explain how to check the clock spring? I know nothing about the steering on these. Thanks!

SOLD
04 Chevy LB7 D-Max BLACK SMOKE MAFIA
EFI Live, Dual cat stacks, sleeves, PPE boost valve, Autometer boost/pyro, PPE high idle, And some look good parts
paytonlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

This info is good. I have almost the same problem with a slight vibration at two o'clock n the steering wheel
Banks Dpf back exhaust
Westen bull bar and nerf bars
RCD 6" lift with MT ATZ's 325/60 at's and 18-9.5" pro comp rims
6000k Hid 55 watt lows
Transgo Jr
PPE shim kit
Auto Meter Cobalt pyro and boost
In pro car wear led/carbon tail lights and led 3rd brake
darkcherry08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonlb7 View Post
I did the DIY fluid flush about 5 months ago. It helped the problem but didn't get rid of it.
Whodaman could you explain how to check the clock spring? I know nothing about the steering on these. Thanks!
I'll take it apart on Monday and take some photos so you can see how it is done. Basically there are a few screws on the back side of the steering wheel that need to come off to remove the air bag from the steering wheel. Oh yah, disconnect the battery first! Once the air bag is removed the clock spring is visible. It is round and has a yellow electrical plug on it. Now with some vehicles if you unplug an airbag and then start the car it will set off a code which does not reset itself but has to be reset with a code reader. I don't remember if the Chevy trucks are this way or not but I will check that for you as well since trying to turn the wheel with the power off is a big pain. I'll check it all out Monday and get back to you.

My power steering fluid reservoir is full and the ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft) has been replaced for those who asked that question.
06 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab LLY, MBRP CP Cool Duals, Injen Intake, T-Rex Billet Grille, Raptor 5" Magnum side bars, Pro Comp 20x10 wheels, 285 55/20Nitto Terra Graplers, Diablo Trinity , Bak Flip bed cover and other stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.