Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LBZ or 6.2?

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  s2kstephen 
#1 ·
Attempting to stay in my budget of 20k I've been looking for a truck to replace my 2 door ranger. The new truck will be mostly used for daily driving to and from work, occasional road trips, and some towing. Towing will mainly consist of towing another vehicle on a hauler anywhere from an hour or two up to and including cross country trips.

Initially I had been looking at 6.2L in the 2007+ trying to find one in my price range (Denali specifically from 07 to 08 since that's all the 6.2 is in) but started to consider the previous generation 6.6 Duramax.

Requirements are 4 full doors, 4x4 and that's about it. I've found several options with average to slightly higher miles for under 20k in the 6.2L from 2007 to 2009, but I would have to go back to 2005-6 for the Duramax, looking to get the LBZ but looks like most will have around 200k to be in my price range. I'd imagine the 6.6 would keep its value better and similar mpg, would it be the better choice? Or opt for the updated cabin/drive train/exterior and stick with a gasser?

The towing of a vehicle cross country isn't a MUST, but it would make PCS season much more bearable instead of having to ship my Wrangler.

#2 ·
Get the LBZ, now what is the question--??

Reactions: BigRoller
#3 ·
Question was whether or not the LBZ would be the better choice based on my needs. I understand diesels have higher maintenance costs, but I also understand they will likely have a longer life. The newer 6.2 is a nice looking truck, but the longevity and capabilities of the 6.6 really appeal to me.

#5 ·
Something I would consider if I were you would be an LLY Duramax (04.5-05). They are sort of the red-headed step-child of the Duramax world, but in reality they aren't that horrible as long as you know what you are getting into. They are also significantly cheaper than the LBZ. The typical problems they have are hit-or-miss headgasket problems and the occasional injector (like most any other Duramax, but nowhere nearly as bad as the LB7 before it). Also, the 5 speed transmissions don't like much over stock power if you want it to last. 60hp over stock to be safe, 90 if you want to push things. Other than that, they are pretty decent. One thing I heard somewhere was that if you don't have $5000 in an emergency reserve fund, don't even consider a diesel. When stuff breaks, it isn't cheap, and if you don't have some in reserve, you could be stuck without a vehicle. I think for the $20K range you could probably get a decent 120-160K mile LLY.

#8 ·
Not turning this into a debate, but the comment that the LLY is not nearly as bad as the LB7 is purely personal opinion and not at all factual. The fact is that each generation of Duramax have their invidual strengths, their individual weakness, and then there are common issues between them.

IMHO, no matter which way you go gas or diesel, especially when you are buying used with 100-200K miles on them, you should have a small cash cushion to cover any unforeseen issues.

#7 ·
I'm here to say gasser I think...obviously it's you're money. But it sounds like you really don't need it. Though diesels are pretty cool and when you need the power you've got it. The maintenance costs are definitely higher. Though you will get a few more MPGs per gallon which is nice on highway driving because it does add up.

Personally I would look at an LBZ for diesel. I really like the 6 speed. But I wouldn't be looking at a truck with over 150k probably. Things start to go, though the engine and tranny are always strong. The suspension may need work, fluids like front and back diff need changing. The transfer case fluid should be changed, also the Chevy Tahoe/ Silverado and suburban lines had issues with transfer case pump rub. The same goes for the GMC versions. Merchant automotive has a $80 fix plus you need new fluid. Power steering fluid should be changed.

#10 ·
Orrrr an LBZ that has next to nothing for engine reliability issues and has an extra speed and stronger converter...also no emissions yet.

Reactions: mdufficy
#39 ·
As someone that has a LBZ and a 6.2... the post above pretty much sums up my thoughts.

#18 · (Edited)
L-B-Z or nothing. :wink2:

#20 ·
I'll throw my other 2 cents in, goona be broke after this. When lb7 sticks go bad, it is alot more of a bitch to change than the latter years. So if your not doing them your self it's alot more labor, and if you do them yourself it's alot more time of yours. And lb7 on original injectors are rare...most go through a few sets.
I'd get a lly before a lb7, or a lbz and a lb7 before a lbz, but a lml before all of them ;)

#21 ·
My previous ride was a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with the 6.0L. Loved that truck, but at best I only got 12 mpg with it. I am still extremely happy with my decision in 2009 to go with a 2006 LLY (currently tuned as an LBZ). I get a solid 17 mpg on average commutes (1/2 freeway, 1/2 surface streets) and I have plenty of torque and power to do pretty much whatever I want.

Most vehicles have some kind of maintenance issue, they are designed and built by humans after all.

Reactions: BigRoller
#25 ·
I guess cause it's a few more quarts and an extra filter or 2? That's what happens when you buy over your head not with it...you piss and moan about an extra like 50 bucks...or they bought a cheap lb7 and got the 8 injector dildo with no lube a few times.

#24 ·
You said you want 4x4. Aren't the 1500 denalis AWD? still works but you don't have low range. I would definitely want either lly or the Lbz over the 6.2. Fuel mileage of the diesel will be a lot better along with better towing. Also fwiw you can find a 6.2 in a non Denali 1500 but it's like finding a unicorn.

#28 ·
Didn't intend on starting a pissing match here. My biggest concern is the initial cost of ownership. It seems the LLY and LBZ are similar to the Ford 7.3PS where there is a seemingly huge markup on them compared to newer models. I haven't tracked the market on the LLY/LBZ but you could easily find a 7.3 PS 4 or 5 years ago for around $7000, now they are easily double that. Same for the LLY/LBZ? Has the market inflated ridiculously?

#30 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm trying to be patient, but finding a nicely equipped (really just wanting leather, but a sunroof would be nice) 2006 for a decent price that doesn't have 400k miles on it is proving difficult. Might have to dip down into the 2005 model years. Is 200k too many miles to buy one of these with?

#32 ·
Thats not promising. This is going to be a kid hauler as well (newborn on the way) so no telling what kinds of messes the seats will encounter. I'm not rough on interiors at all when it comes to wear. Or is it the type of leather that if you look at it the wrong way it falls apart?

That and to keep the wife happy with the seat warmers

#34 ·
If you can get a LLY with 200K miles for less then $20K (& the truck hasnt been tuned) id consider get it.

#35 ·
Also, if you get cloth, you can always add leather. Just won't have the seat warmers. If you find a great deal on a truck with worn leather (and hopefully headed seats), just factor in a few hundred extra to have just the front seats re-leathered. Usually the rear seats are still in good shape.

#36 ·
I think you'll be better off with a well maintained gasser for just a daily commuter with occasional towing. Look we are all deisel dudes here and the default answer is get the diesel but look at the number of guys that park their diesels during the week and drive a beater commuter car.

What ever you decide, have it thoroughly checked out. Unless you personaly know the owner, if you decide on a diesel find an unmodified unmolested one. One brainfart with a computer can torpedo a diesel.

Reactions: mdufficy
#37 ·
If you look at an LBZ I wouldn't shy away from it at all just because it was cloth interior. My '06 had cloth and I'd say it was every bit (if maybe not more) comfortable than my current SLT with leather. Yea the seat warmers are nice, but not a deal breaker in my book. I really liked the cloth in my '06...wish I still had it!

#40 ·
Disclaimer: I don't have a diesel and I don't tow large loads/long distances.

I have a 2500HD 6.0 and it meets my needs. Got all the bells and whistles (leather, nav, etc), no surprise maintenance expenses (injectors, headgaskets, etc), and just have the pay the price at the gas pump. I average 11mpg, but I do have a ZR1 blower that helps keep the MPG down.

I can't justify a diesel for my needs, as much as the temptation is overwhelming on this board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.