Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

DIY'ers.... Chime IN! Questions about working on your truck

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  durrrramax 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello DuramaxForum Community!

I wanted to spark discussions around automotive work / service / installations.

Who all out of this community does all of the work related to their vehicles need, whether thats miscellaneous maintenance, installation of new and shiny parts, etc...Then who takes that a step further by assisting others (friends / family / fellow enthusiasts) with help when it is needed?

On the contrary:

Are those out there that would like to do more work on their vehicle but don't have the tools, resources, or confidence to do so? If that is the case (or one of the cases), do you fall back upon trying to find friends, family or other enthusiasts to help you with whatever your task might be?

Personally:

I have great deal of knowledge surrounding mechanics, but just don't have all the tools that are sometimes required to do the job (its just so damn expensive). This said, over time, I've networked with fellow enthusiasts that allow me to work on my vehicle at their place to not only save money, but to also make the install go smoother (we've all been there with the PITA ones).

Hope this sparks a great discussion!

Jack
:nerd:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yep, I do all my own work if my job allows me time... Love wrenching, so I actually look forward to doing this type of thing, when I have the time... I've deleted quite a few other guys' trucks, working on rebuilding an LBZ right now... Wrenched on dad's cars, as he's not mechanically inclined... I wouldn't think twice about helping a fellow DF'er, or loaning tools to someone...

#3 ·
Yeah, I normally do all of my own work. Friends of mine have shops and every tool I can think of, so that helps a lot! But, I just moved from MS to OK and now I don't know anyone and am down to basic tools. I'm about to delete my LML and am worried about running into an issue during the delete and then have now way to work Monday morning. I went from knowing everyone and having many resources to get whatever I needed done to know not knowing anyone and have no one to receive any help from. I have the mechanical skill to do the work but you guys know just as well as I do that things don't always go smoothly and you run into some sort of issue that requires some sort of special tool that you never have on hand at the moment to finish the job.

#4 ·
I love wrenching on things also..... It's fun to me :) In addition I know what was done and will take responsibility if there are any mistakes. Also help my Dad and brother work on their DMax's and gassers and neighbors when they need a hand.

Quads, Lawn Mowers, Tractors, Small Engines...... I will try to tackle anything. I also do paint and body work in my spare time :/

#5 ·
I usually try to do everything my self too, and I also think its fun. I run into issues a lot though, due to rust or not having the correct tools, which makes it no fun. I will try everything in my power usually to do it myself. I will be taking it to a spring shop in the spring for drop shackles, and Evan for a trans sometime next year hopefully.

#6 ·
Yeah, Toxic and scott I'm the same way.... I feel like an incompetent loser right now haha since I don't have the resources that I did back home on the farm. I was able to tackle headgaskets/headstuds on my LLY I used to have and be and a friend put a Stage V trans kit in the LLY also. I have the know how but minus the connections now. It makes you feel lost that's for sure.

#7 ·
I do all my own work. Haven't taken one of my rigs to a mechanic for over 5 years. I keep 2 LB7 ranch pickups running & work on rigs for friends & family too. All from my driveway; don't have access to a shop or any industry experts. I've got a pretty good collection of tools & always like a job that gives me an excuse to buy something else-currently thinking about diagnostic software/scanners. Anybody here use AutoEnginuity?

#8 ·
Great discussions so far, everyone! I myself cant stand moving to new areas as I feel vulnerable and weak without the resources I had previously established in my old area. I put great emphasis on connecting with the proper people (which can be quite difficult at times) in order to obtain the ability to conquer tasks myself, or at least have the ability to work on my vehicle with someone I trust.

#11 ·
Yes, the move to a whole new state and not knowing anyone sucks for sure! I have to find the diesel enthusiasts and get in with them. Just have to figure out where everyone is or hangs out at and hopefully find the guys that like to wrench on things on the weekends. Along with some cold ones of course! :drink

#9 ·
I do all of my own work but am not sure how long I'll be able to continue to. I'm in my 60's and though I've been doing restorations, racing jeeps and so on for over 40 years it's all catching up with me. Arthritis, BPPV (crystals in my ears are screwed up), and asthma. I never smoked a day in my life but did three tours in Iraq exposed to the burn piles. I replaced a transmission cooler line on my GMC a couple of months ago and it was miserable. Pain almost up to my elbows from the arthritis and nausea so bad from the BPPV that I was nearly puking half the time. Like they say, this getting old crap ain't for the weak! All things considered it's still all worth it when I stand back and look at a job that I know is done well. And being a retiree it's nice to minimize the hit on the budget.

Reactions: onetigger725
#10 ·
I also do all my own work if I have the time (which I will usually make time for). If I don't have the time, I know the shop foreman at my local dealer really well and he has always done a great job for me. I usually do all my work by myself but on occasion I have a couple buddies that are gear heads as well and I will have them come help if I need it (also a good excuse to get together, have a few beer and BS). I also try to help my buddies who are not so mechanically inclined. I have some that have some mechanical knowledge but not a lot and they are scared to take on some tasks, so I would rather help them out then see the dealership rob them blind. It also gives them more confidence to do more work on there own after you have helped them do a few things. I am also fortunate enough to work at a company that has a full machine shop with about every tool you can imagine and the best part is they let you sign the tools out for personal use. If I or they do not have the tool I will usually just go buy it.

#13 ·
Have always done my own maintenance and work, with the exception of automatic tranny, block work and axle gears, not having those tools. Dad grew up a farm boy and taught me well. Local machine shops were our best friends. That's where one learned who were the good shops in town when it came time for overhauls. Bailing wire and pliers for emergency repairs. Man, how trucks have changed! We use to rebuild our own fuel pumps, starters, solenoids, alternators, radiators, carbs, heads and now I only go to the dealer for warranty work now that I'm retired and social security pays for the new ride. Still save a ton doing my own maintenance and am looking forward to adding airbags, compressor and cb radio. Even once rebuilt a water pump and put a zerk above the bearing on a '66 Barracuda, never failed again. Did my first maintenance adjusting valves on my slant six Dodge; running, hot. Every teenager should do this to learn patience! It's getting tough to wrench above my head while on my back but still enjoy doing it myself, lots of breaks. Good thing i quit drinking or i'd never get anything done! Out of my cold, dead hands!

#14 ·
Well I'm going to be taking the huge leap and starting tonight I'm gonna go through with deleting my truck. I live in a subdivision now from growing up on a farm, my dually doesn't fit all the way into the garage and all I have is basic tools. Somehow i'll be accomplishing 5" straight pipe, downpipe, Fass lift pump, full egr delete with the LB7 up-pipe and the pcv re-route. My experience has all been on my old LLY so if any of you guys have some knowledge or some tips about deleting the LML cause I've heard the LML is a lot more involved.

#16 ·
I do all maintenance stuff myself. Anything I cant do I take it to a shop. I cant work in my garage & id hate to leave my truck outside (work in progress) for who knows for how long due to not having the right tools, skill sets, or time.

#18 ·
I've always worked on my own stuff minus 2 oil changes and 1 set of tierod sleeves due to shortness of time or an injury. I've always been the more knowledgable guy when I make truck friends which sucks because when I'm stumped I'm shooting texts to guys I wish were closer. I'm always willing to lend a hand to help a guy not get ripped off by a shop on a quick project.

#23 ·
No garage my truck can fit in, basic hand tools, and no more mechanical experience than regular maintenance; I'm cautious when I work on it. But for now I am still doing the easy basic stuff reading a lot on this forum and scouring youtube. Gotta start somewhere.

Reactions: onetigger725
#24 ·
Ive been debating an ultimate dana 60 solid front axle swap on my duramax. I have seen an earlier thread on this from 2011 but no one had any real advice on it. What does this involve? and is it worth it as far as dependability is concerned?

#25 ·
I like wrenching on just about anything that comes along. I don't move as fast as I once did but can still get it done. I'm kind of lucky because my son before he went into the Air Force worked as an Allison technician and one of his friends still drives a service truck for the same company repairing the Allison and Detroit and other diesels out side of the shop, so if I run into trouble I just make a call.

#26 ·
I enjoy tinkering, its half the fun for me. I enjoy working on my stuff and maintaining it. I also do all the maintenance and work on my familys cars. The only time i had my truck in the shop was to have the transmission built, and had Evan install the Y-bridge egr delete since he was there anyways. Everything else i do myself. More along the lines of self taught. Its not that expensive to have the tools to do basic work on these trucks either. I just use the stuff ive acquired over the last 5-10 years and stuff from my father.

#27 ·
I do my own work and help others if they ask

Fellow member who's also a fellow neighborhooderer, just deleted his LML and I was there helping with his LP since I've done two on my own trucks

And the little tidbit about the exhaust bracket that hooks to the trans

Four vehicles between the wife and i, learn or pay high labor charges

#28 · (Edited)
To those in this thread that have responded.. thank you! There was a little bit of a larger motive behind my OP. There were some very good points discussed so far in this thread, all of which are being noted for a project my co-founder and I are working on.

The idea was bread a few month back while I was helping a fellow LML owner install his cognito UCA's. He mentioned to me that he was very fortunate to have discovered my instagram and my willingness to entertain his service request.. also noting it was incredibly hard to find someone who was willing to help him out. He noted he wished it was easier to establish these kind of "working" connections as they are very value add to both parties (the supplier / consumer).

This idea resonated with me, as I have utilized my instagram following to establish relationships with locals who are mechanically proficient to help out with tasks when need be. Considering that most don't have a 30k instagram (not a bragging right, just a simple fact), I wanted to go a step further to create a platform where enthusiasts can connect and help other enthusiasts in their area... A comparable Airbnb for Enthusiasts / gear heads to seek services from others that have knowledge around them. I've enjoyed interacting with the majority of the Duramax Forum, with that said, I wanted to share our work with this community to understand a little more of what you all think. The feedback we've gotten from all different kind of automotive communities so far has been AWESOME!

I present to you:

Mekanik, Inc. A community marketplace where enthusiasts help enthusiasts.

TryMekanik.com - Find The Mechanical Help You Need

If this is something you'd be interested in Beta testing with our community, please subscribe to stay upto date with our progressions!

Be nice now, all! :nerd:

#29 ·
Interesting..... I've seen similar ideas across other automotive forums, but only in the form of a thread with contact information and location of people willing to help out. This is taking it a step further. Couple questions:

1. How are "mechanics" vetted, or approved? I'm mechanically inclined (or so I tell myself), self-taught, never taken any schooling. Will the process take away from the "hang out, and help each other a bit", or is this meant to be more of a formal, professional environment.

2. How are rates calculated?

3. Is there an app in the works? I have a feeling that would catch more people's attention... For example, a map within the app with locations of "mechanics" pinpointed, for easy navigation...

Interested in hearing more...

#30 · (Edited)
Interesting..... I've seen similar ideas across other automotive forums, but only in the form of a thread with contact information and location of people willing to help out. This is taking it a step further. Couple questions:

1. How are "mechanics" vetted, or approved? I'm mechanically inclined (or so I tell myself), self-taught, never taken any schooling. Will the process take away from the "hang out, and help each other a bit", or is this meant to be more of a formal, professional environment.

2. How are rates calculated?

3. Is there an app in the works? I have a feeling that would catch more people's attention... For example, a map within the app with locations of "mechanics" pinpointed, for easy navigation...

Interested in hearing more...
M.A.M. - Your inquiries are appreciated!

In order per aforementioned:

1. The vetting process will be through a multi-channel approach. We are falling on our Beta test community, putting them through an extensive vetting process prior to acceptance into the marketplace. Credibility, quality, reviews and expertise will drive that process. We intend to create an environment of professionalism tied with common interests.

2. We will provide recommendations to assist the Mekanik in their profile building process. Similar to other community marketplaces, you'll have the ability to control what you feel your work is worth.

3. Yes! We are currently in the development process.

Hope this helps answer your questions! :grin2:

#31 ·
I'll try to do whatever I can in my own driveway, although in the winter I usually don't even bother doing any of my own work (aside from changing fuel filters). I'd rather just pay the extra cash for a shop to do something than bother laying on my driveway in the freezing cold trying to do whatever. I have a friend who works at a local shop that gets me work done for bone cheap anyway.

As far as helping friends out with their rides, I'm always open to help. Spending an afternoon hammering beers and mucking with mechanical stuff is the best.

#38 ·
Only about 45 minutes from me in Mansfield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.