Another diesel vs gas debate - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Another diesel vs gas debate

I'll start by saying I absolutely love my lml. It's been by far my favorite truck I've ever owned. I haven't drove a half ton gasser in 14 years so I'm a little out of touch with them. My needs these days don't really require the amount of truck I'm rolling around in and I'm trying to be more responsible with my money now that I'm in my mid 30's. So just for the sake of cheaper operating and maintenance costs I've been kicking around the idea of downsizing to a new half ton gasser.

My concerns about actually going through with it is that I've been driving 3/4 ton diesels for so long that I'm afraid I might hate life back in a half ton. I'm also curious how the resale value holds up on the gas trucks. My value hasn't fell off much at all on my truck in the 3 years I've been driving it.

Thoughts? Opinions? What's wrong with me? I'm a genius? Why are you reading this crap?

17 HC 2500 CCSB 4x4
14 LTZ 2500 CCSB 4x4 ..Sold..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 AM

I never owned anything but half ton gas trucks until I bought the 2500 I'm driving now. That was 15 years ago and I've never looked back and I've actually made the statement that "I've bought my last 1/2 ton" several times. I should have been driving 3/4 ton trucks for most of my life but never had one till I bought this one in 2002.

To me, just not that much difference between operating / maintaining a 3/4 ton diesel vs. 1/2 ton gas. And I drive a good bit. Last 3 half tons: 275k miles, 250k miles and 200k miles. This diesel: 363k miles so far. Just haven't noticed that much difference. Sure, it takes more oil and things like fuel filters and diesel now costs a little more than gas (didn't when I bought the truck), but I also get way better mpg in town with my diesel than I ever got with the gas burners. Highway mpg is almost exactly the same as my last 2 gas burners. The ability to do what I do with this truck far outweighs any small cost difference over a 1/2 ton.

Of course if you never need / use the capability of a 3/4 ton, it might make sense to go 1/2 ton. I just don't think you're gonna save all that much doing it.
DMaxRocks and Gear_head like this.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 368,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM

I bought my first diesel 1.5 year ago. I like it pretty good, but I'd buy a 16 1500 ltz with a 6.2 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 2500 HD LTZ
Cranked keys w/ Bilstein 5100s
Toyo M/T 275/65/20
Windshield tinted 35%
fronts 20%
and rears are 2%

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Garage
If you get a gasser, get the 6.2 l. Its a beast and actually gets close to same MPG. I dont think you will be sorry. It will ride nicer...

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights

2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with EFI Live PPEI, 2" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 305 65r 18 Tires, Tinted LED Tails, Custom interior lighting.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I would only buy a 1/2 gasser with a 6.2 now if I were to sell my diesel. I don't plan on selling it though. If anything I would grab a 2.8 Colorado I think if I don't need to tow or am just looking for a dd.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB

1/4 Mile 13.226@101.99
1.793 60'
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm almost certain I would hate being back in a half ton even if it does make more sense for me drive one. I like the feel of a heavier truck. Something weird did happen. I was looking at the half tons online at the dealer I bought my last one from. Out of the blue yesterday afternoon I missed a call from the same dealer. A salesman left a message telling me how he wants to buy my truck because he has buyers lined up for it and bla bla bla.

Coincidence? I think not. I don't know how but somehow they knew I was looking at trucks on their website.

17 HC 2500 CCSB 4x4
14 LTZ 2500 CCSB 4x4 ..Sold..
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Another diesel vs gas debate

I'll play

So you said you want to be more responsible as youre in your mid 30's. I totally identify with this statement. As such I would like you take a serious look at the initial cost of a 6.2 with the 8spd LTZ 1500. You are essentially very close to the same as a diesel. Granted there are discounts but still the price/hp is nearly equivalent.
That being said, if you can look past that and see it for what it is the gasser may be an excellent choice for you. Premium vs diesel fuel needs to be considered as well.
A synthetic oil for the gasser will likely cost nearly the same as a diesel oil change. So are you really saving anything? I am not so sure.

I only posit this argument as I have had it many times as well. I think you should sit where you're at and establish more than just a cost factor analysis and see where you sit.

PS the 1/2 ton Chevy hoods are ugly IMHO lol.

Best wishes man. Whatever decision you make it needs to be for your and yours

jwcgmc1985 likes this.

2015.5 2500 CC/SB, PCV Reroute, Res. Delete, Nitto Ridge Grap. 275/70/16, XD misfit Wheels (FOR SALE), S&B Intake, MotorOps tunes via Meyers Performance. FASS 150, Beans Sump, Blocker Plates

Coming soon/Plans:
Down pipe, 4'' Exhaust, EGR Delete, Intercooler, intercooler pipes, PPE pipes, SDP trans

SHEEPDOG
Til-Valhalla
The Dysfunctional Veteran
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:55 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You'll be back in a diesel after awhile. You'll miss it. Back in 2012 I traded my LBZ in on a brand new loaded Chevy half ton. Lifted, 33's, tuner, etc and I was happy for a few months. Got deployed so I sold it Came home and bought a 2009 half ton and had the 5.3 grenade. Then bought a Rock Warrior Tundra that I really liked but just traded it in for my 2016 LTZ Duramax.

Andrew
2006 Chevy LLZ
ReadyLift|EFI Live tuned by DDP|Autometer|
AFE|MBRP|RBP|PPE|Transgo Jr|Cognito|AVS|WeatherTech
Waiting install:cab lights, building traction bars, Airdog, ATP Autocal!
Thanks ATP,ADP, & MA
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:50 PM
AJH
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I went from an lly to an lbz to a 3/4 ton gasser. I got to keep the same frame and suspension I know inside and out but I am not dumping money into it trying to make power just to say it makes power. I didn't want a 5.3 because I already have one in my wife's dd and I think it's gutless. Mpgs is a moot point I just don't care as long as it breaks 10 I'm happy. Do I miss diesels a little but at the same time I can do 96mph on an on ramp so it does what I need. A to b for cheaper than a Duramax with more power than a 5.3.
Bigpuddie likes this.

Adam

2008 GMC RCLB 6.0/6l90e stock for now
Gone
2006 Chevy CCSB
Moonshine, Trans, Supporting mods
2005 Chevy RCLB
Ppe hot race,leveled, 35x12.50s on h2s
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 PM

I buy diesel because i like how they drive and for resale value. i do not need diesel or 4X4 but without either resale is horrible. A 2x4 half ton gas would fulfill my needs but resale would kill me. if it cost more than 2500 per year to drive i do not want it, Example i had a 2012 Dodge i paid 50K used (800 miles) and 4 years later i sold it for 40.5K. It was low mileage (40K) and super clean with all options. Low mileage diesel 4X4 crew cab trucks bring a premium regardless or brand. the higher trim models bring more. Do the math and do what makes sense,

2015 Denali - 20X9 Gear Alloy Big Block +18 - 295/60/20 Toyo At - Front raised 1.5" with factory keys - Thinking about new UCAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode