Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Buying an LBZ question

13K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Jacob02 
#1 ·
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Bought a 2006 CCSB LBZ in 2013 and then sold it a year later....huge mistake. Been missing it ever since.

Back in the market for a 2006 or 2007 CCSB LBZ SLT and am floored at the prices. I am seeing 100K to 140K mile trucks listed for $28 and up. 200K mile trucks listed for $22K.

My question to all:

If you were buying a, new to you, LBZ and assuming the condition was basically the same would you pay $28K for a 100 - 140,000 mile truck or $22K for a 200K mile truck and spend the extra 6K on parts?

Thanks for your opinions.

#2 ·
I wouldn't buy either at those prices just plain ridiculous. Look at llys which are essentially the same and usually alot cheaper because they are not the so called best engine. Yes some have hedgasket issues but I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. Also if you live in an area with no emissions get an lmm which can be found for the same prices if not cheaper and delete it.

#3 ·
LMLs can be had for the same or cheaper. I've been looking a bit and found a lot of CCsb/lb ltz/slt/denali trucks with 160k or so for 26-27k. LBZs are ridiculous, because its the newest you can go without a DPF. If you are able to delete, the LML is the best there is currently in my opinion.

Reactions: BigRoller
#7 ·
In August I sold my very clean 2006 ccsb LBZ 122K miles for 24,500. It was fairly unmolested, egr blocked, tuned, exhaust, gauges. I started out ASKING 27,500 because of the history, how clean it was, and mostly untouched. Just because they ask that much, doesn't mean its worth it or that they will get it.

All depends what you plan to do with the truck too. If you're going to spend that much in upgrades, get the lower priced truck. If you're not going to be doing a ton of upgrades, and want to spend that much on the truck itself, do that. Its up to you as far as what you're wanting to do with the truck

#8 ·
In August I sold my very clean 2006 ccsb LBZ 122K miles for 24,500. It was fairly unmolested, egr blocked, tuned, exhaust, gauges. I started out ASKING 27,500 because of the history, how clean it was, and mostly untouched. Just because they ask that much, doesn't mean its worth it or that they will get it.
very true. My assumption would be that the lower mileage trucks would come off their price a little less than the higher mileage trucks.

All depends what you plan to do with the truck too. If you're going to spend that much in upgrades, get the lower priced truck. If you're not going to be doing a ton of upgrades, and want to spend that much on the truck itself, do that. Its up to you as far as what you're wanting to do with the truck
Really not planning on upgrades other than when something needs to be replaced. This would be a DD and weekend tow pig...pulling about 8500 pounds(Trailer, 5500 pound jeep and misc, gear).

#9 ·
Even lb7 if you can find o e that has recently had the injectors replaced with paperwork I wouldn't be afraid to buy and those can be had for easily high to mid teens with around 150k

#10 ·
My question to all:

If you were buying a, new to you, LBZ and assuming the condition was basically the same would you pay $28K for a 100 - 140,000 mile truck or $22K for a 200K mile truck and spend the extra 6K on parts?

Thanks for your opinions.

If that were my only options I'd pay $6k more for the lower mileage one. But I'd have a hard time paying that for either.

#14 ·
I think I agree with you...on both parts.

I bought my last 2006(in 2013) for $18,500. It had 180K on it or so. Put new tires and a new gooseneck hitch. Drove it for a year and sold it for $22K...that should have been my notice that the prices were going up!

Now they are even more expensive. I kick myself almost daily for selling my old one.

#17 ·
Keep looking. Both trucks are (typical LBZs) overpriced.

#19 ·
The prices on LBZs are crazy, reminds me of the clapped out 12/24v cummins i see all the time local with 400k miles and 10" tips, $30k OBO!

#21 ·
I've been thinking about selling my LBZ... sounds like I should just keep it. Bought it new and just went over 72k miles.

Good luck with your search!

#27 ·
If you're going to do it, now is probably the time. I found that the market is starting to fall (I believe). Where I live, these trucks have always brought a premium, but when it came to selling my very clean 2007 Classic with only 63000, the market wasnt where I thought it would be. Its going to be hard for someone to get financing on a 10 year old truck, so its likely going to have to be buyer with cash just sitting in the bank. My guess is that most people who have $30K in cash just sitting are probably going to be buying a truck newer than a 10 year old truck.

#22 ·
Just got to keep looking, my search was about a year long venture. found my LBZ for $23K with 55K miles. that was 3 years ago. now @ 71K. and it may still be work $23 ? Be patient you'll find the right one.

#23 ·
yea the ridiculous prices on newer trucks is actually driving up prices of the older ones, and you don't have to mess with a dpf or def fluid...

i just paid 26k for my 06 lbz, it is a ccsb 4x4 slt southern comfort, only 115k on the clock when i got it, but i was initially hoping to get in under 20k and the 20-22k trucks i went to check out were just not what you want... knocking, puking coolant, slipping torque converters, limp modes, shitty shifting, bad injectors, dash gauges not working, electrical problems out the ting yang... used duramax shopping was not fun... i had to have what i wanted tho so i stuck it out and waited a year and a half to find the one i got. she had a few issues and needed new tires (the old ones were cracking from age but still had tread) but i still liked it better than any of the others i saw so i snatched it up. the market is nuts right now for these trucks, people were snatching up those fucked up ones too...

be prepared to pay more than you wanted to unless you can deal with a dually or without 4x4... in which case you can get a pretty good deal

#28 ·
update to my original post

searched high and low for the LBZ that was perfect for me and just couldn't find one that wasn't 3000 miles away or $30K

Lucked out and found a 2005 Suburban 2500 4x4 with the LBZ swap. Perfection in every way. Perfect for my needs and is everything I was looking for as far as color, interior, options, miles(90K on the drivetrain). In Love.

pictures later. Photobucket is down for me right now

#32 ·
Duraburb - I'm a fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.