Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Watch what you buy, or else...

795 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DixonM 
#1 ·
Want to share a bad experience i recently went through, and possibly one of the worst decisions i have ever made, aside from not wearing a rubber ?.
All started when i spotted a beautiful 2005 LLY with a 6" lift, new tires, a straight body and only 140k miles. I was still driving around a pretty truck, a 2012 Silverado 1500 with 60k miles. A few days later i traded in the 1500 for my first ever Diesel, in hopes that it would haul the camper i was planning on buying come march.
Enjoyed the truck for a couple of weeks before i realized that something wasnt right. " low coolant" light turned on and it was puking anti-freeze everywhere. I had a bad feeling that the HG was blown and the symptoms were there. Had it confirmed a few days later by the same mechanic who works on our fleet of trucks (oilfield rigs).

Long story short, not only was the HG blown but the EGR cooler was failing, and the head was junk. All in all ive owned the truck for less than 2 months, and im 6800$ deep in repair costs.
Lesson of the story; dont be a dumbass like me if its your first diesel and do your research. If you do that you can have a decent camper, instead of just a "fixed" truck

#3 ·
And i too had a couple diesel mechanic buddies that could have told me to stay away from that truck. It drove strong and i didnt know what to look for. Little did i know. But yeah i ditto having someone fully check it out who knows a thing or two about duramaxs

#4 ·
Same boat here. I should've researched more, too. Now just make sure you don't tune it and cook the trans and be on the hook for another 5k.

#5 ·
That sucks. I've been there before when I bought my 1st car.

#6 ·
What gets me the previous owner had to know something was wrong with the truck why wouldn't he give you a heads up. To me its like being robbed. And I do understand the concept Buyer Beware.
Sorry to read about your bad experience OP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.