Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New AVIP Vermont Emissions Inspections

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  poosniffer 
#1 ·
This year Vermont will have a new centralized motor vehicle inspection program known as Automated Vehicle Inspection Program.This system is already used in other States such as PA,NJ,Hawaii,Louisiana and others.The system plugs in to the OBD slot and downloads info from the trucks computer directly to the State's database.
My question is, does the system just look for basic OBD codes or does it look for the readiness of specific emissions PIDs?
My truck is deleted with no CELs.Just wondering if this new software can pick out which system components have been turned off.
Maybe someone that is DPF/EGR deleted in one of the States that is already using this system can comment.Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't know if MA uses the same or similar database. But with a GVW of 9999 and non-commercial reg, my truck gets the obd scan.

You are allowed for one monitor to show as "not ready" all others must be "ready".

What I'm unclear on, is when a tune makes some of those values show as "not supported" and how that value effects test results. I'll know more when I get inspected this year

#3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply.I might try to take it somewhere and see if they will a test scan.Please keep me posted if you hear anything and I will do the same.You can PM me if you want.Thanks.

#7 ·
Thanks for that link but not sure if the new scanner picks out MORE than just the codes.
Yes,it would be great if you can have your truck scanned at your buddy's shop and that way we know for sure.Thanks.

#8 · (Edited)
1996 and newer gasoline powered vehicles, and 1997 and newer diesel powered vehicles having a gross vehicle rating of 8,500 pounds or less, must have an On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) examination as part of their annual safety equipment inspection. The OBDII examination tests the emission control system of the vehicle.
I read that as they are checking for readiness monitors, not codes. Codes would most likely be an automatic fail anyway.

Edit: as suspected http://dmv.vermont.gov/enforcement-and-safety/inspections/on-board-diagnostics-inspection

#9 ·
I read that as they are checking for readiness monitors, not codes. Codes would most likely be an automatic fail anyway.

Edit: as suspected On-Board Diagnostics Inspection | Department of Motor Vehicles
Thanks for that link.Where I might run into a problem is if the system shows "Not ready".Not sure if my "aftermarket tuning" will cause this.Again,it may be necessary for me to bring my truck in and have it connected prior to the actual inspection.

#10 ·
Most OBD II scanners show you the readiness monitors. The one i had, was just led's; not lit-not ready, yellow-pending (meaning it has run but wasn't ready yet), and green-ready.

It matched the status they saw when they hooked my vehicles up. Most recently, my S10 had a battery die prior to testing, so I drove around with the scan tool plugged in until enough monitors showed ready, then had it smogged.

I've heard there is a way to make them show ready even if deleted, but I have no way of testing that out as the tunes I have are all locked and I doubt the tuner would make those changes if asked.

#11 ·
Here in Va they don't inspect during annual but do roadside smog checks. You just accelerate slowly up to them then coast past as they place them on on ramps. It will detect Red fuel also so you will get a ticket from the state for $2500 I think the mechanic told me. If you don't pass, you get a letter from the state saying take it in. 2006 Duramax has all the California non polluting crap and they will make sure it's on there. Not sure how they treat an out of state vehicle if it doesn't pass but would suggest they send a letter to your home state.

#13 ·
That says gvw of 8500lbs or LESS. Ours would be more, no?

#14 ·
Google shows my gvwr at 9200lbs for an 04 2500hd

#15 ·
Furthermore you say it's the same system as Louisiana, that's where ppei is

#17 ·
Well,I will find out in due time.If I am unable to pass inspection I will not keep the truck which is too bad since this is by far the best truck I have owned.

#18 ·
I have a 93 ranger custom with 302 n c4 tranny with ratchet shifter duel exhaust. Has hard top tunnel cover. The fuel system is a fuel cell mounted in back bed under the tunnel cover. Will
This pass Vermont inspection without the stock tank? because there no room under truck for stock tank. Or is there something I can do to make it pass... how do people pass rat rods or custom cars without stock fuel tanks?

#19 ·
I am updating this thread for anyone interested.I took my truck in to a local inspection station for my annual inspection.Based on the GVW of my truck,it is EXEMPT from emissions testing.The "technician" just checked turn signals and brake lights.Easy enough.

Reactions: wh20crazy
#23 ·
My local inspection station mechanic mentioned that the State was considering requiring that all factory emissions components be present on the vehicle in order to pass inspection. This is the new reality. I am buying a 2022 Duramax and can safely say that I will not be altering the exhaust or tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.