Best 5th Wheel rail kit and compatible gooseneck 2006 2500HD - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By offthewall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Best 5th Wheel rail kit and compatible gooseneck 2006 2500HD

Best 5th Wheel rail kit and compatible gooseneck for 2006 2500HD?

Can anyone list their part numbers and I was looking for one that has the 4 pin pullout and you can replace it with 5th wheel.

Anyone had the rails installed on their trucks? Also looking to have the system that is for a good amount of weight. If the truck can only carry 24000 lb then I want something compatible to that weight. Pictures of what im wanting to install below!

I would like to install rails and support brackets. Then go to a gooseneck hitch where you pull 4 pins and its done. Then if you need the 5th wheel you buy the attachment and its also good to go!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 AM

Garage
You're thinking of Reese type rails.
If you're near Tampa I have a set I'd give you.
I've been hauling with then since 95, great rails and hitches.
That said, on our current truck I took a chance on a turn over ball and an Andersen hitch. I'll never go back to rails or conventional rocker hitches.
Rides much better, lighter to temove, clear bed.

C2500HD ECLB, turn over ball & Andersen Ultimate hitch. 395,000 miles and counting. Stock except for LBZ mouthpiece.
41' Toy hauler @ 21K lbs.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Can you show pictures? We just wanted to have the option to swap if need be. Also can you give a brief explanation of how this is installed or works? Do we have to buy additional hardware etc?

Looks like we install any ball system then install the ultimate. This correct?

And can you connect an optional fifth wheel like the Semi Trucks have? Or no need?

Last edited by turbotrenton; 04-21-2017 at 04:58 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM

I have the Curt Q20, rails and the GN to go with it. Great setup and a VERY nice 5'er hitch. Probably one of the nicest 5th wheel hitches out there and VERY stout.

If you want 24k lb capacity - go with the Q24: CURT Manufacturing - CURT Q24 5th Wheel Hitch with Rails #16246

Comes with rails

GN adapter (25k lb): CURT Manufacturing - CURT Spyder 5th Wheel Rail Gooseneck Hitch #16085

Slider for 5'er (For trailers that might hit back of cab when turning with short bed): CURT Manufacturing - CURT R24 5th Wheel Roller #16570

I actually have this slider and would like to sell it. I've had it for ~4 years and it's been assembled and was installed for a few weeks but it's never been used to pull a trailer - so, essentially brand new. It's been is storage for most of those 4 years.

The problem I see with the a lot of the "flip over" type hitches is the capacity of the 5'er adapter.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew
All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong View Post
You're thinking of Reese type rails.
If you're near Tampa I have a set I'd give you.
I've been hauling with then since 95, great rails and hitches.
That said, on our current truck I took a chance on a turn over ball and an Andersen hitch. I'll never go back to rails or conventional rocker hitches.
Rides much better, lighter to temove, clear bed.
Ok so you invested $450.00 for the ball setup and $729.00 for the Anderson? Alot of money "im not arguing" but I was hoping to get a setup for 5th wheel economically. This would be over $1100.00 which is well worth it if hauling full time. But was just wondering how you did it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 PM

I have (and love) a B&W flipover gooseneck ball, and a companion 5th wheel hitch. Very solid, and when your not using it your bed is flat, no rails to get in the way.
turbotrenton likes this.

-12cclb GMC starting the process again
-07ccsb LBZ 4x4 totaled 9Dec13 lowered with built trans sitting in the barn 13.4 but had a lot more in it
-2013 Jetta TDI avg50mpg
The next time you see any adults talking (or wearing a hat) during the playing of the National Anthem - Kick Their Ass or at least say something
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotrenton View Post
Ok so you invested $450.00 for the ball setup and $729.00 for the Anderson? Alot of money "im not arguing" but I was hoping to get a setup for 5th wheel economically. This would be over $1100.00 which is well worth it if hauling full time. But was just wondering how you did it?
I went with a B&W for $350.
A "companion" will cost more than that. Lift one before buying!
I think a 24k conventional hitch with rails runs around $900-1000.
It's definitely worth it. I've never had anything tow as well, except a $3000+ air ride system.
Having a clear bed is nice too.

C2500HD ECLB, turn over ball & Andersen Ultimate hitch. 395,000 miles and counting. Stock except for LBZ mouthpiece.
41' Toy hauler @ 21K lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode