Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Newbie needs a push...

610 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DuraMike13 
#1 ·
Hey Folks, introduced myself a bit back, lurk mostly as a hopeful owner.

Now, got two trucks that are possible. 06 LLY with 204,000miles and an 07 LBZ with 155,000. color is not a matter and the two are interior identical - leather, bose, heat seats, etc. Both in good shape.

The LLY has new injectors and soft stuff replaced on the front end otherwise original equipment - no tuner, not raised - has been a 5th wheel hauler for a landscaper from Louisiana to Texas kind of run as well as towing a fish boat and run around town. Tires are fair.

The LBZ has a new turbo rebuild with a tuner, after market air shocks, new tires and set up for a camper on top.

The LBZ is $5000 (asking) more than the LLY.

MY deal: I need a pick up for hunting, heavy haul yard mule and the occasional heavy tow. It won't be a daily driver.

Is the newer truck, less miles worth the extra $5000 or would the group, in my case, opt for the less expensive truck.

Ive read the threads - both have the Alison 6 and "word" is LLY and LBZ are the same engine - some say not so due to injectors and some gaskets(?) from what I remember.

I'm not interested in tuning, lifting, racing, smoking or heavy 4wd. I want a dependable truck that may be the last truck I purchase given my limited use.

So bring forth the opinions….I thank you in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
They are prob asking more for the LBZ because it is a more sought after platform. GM seemed to get some things right with that model, though for some reason the injectors seem to be an issue. The rebuilt turbo and aftermarket stuff is a red flag. However, if this is just to be a work horse, and DEF isn't in play for an LBZ...Id still say go for her. Others may chime in.

#3 ·
LBZs have a high resale value. Most are overpriced.
06 LLYs are detuned (the HP/torq spec) LBZs. It's the same engine & trans.

#4 ·
Without the actual asking price of either one how could we possibly tell you which would be a better deal. I would be unlikely to pay an additional $5000 for a truck only one model year younger and 45000 fewer miles. BUT, if the 0 that may be a reasonable price if the 06 is under priced.

I do not know enough about the LLY and LBZ engines to tell you if one is better than the other...but Im sure others here have the knowledge expertise to help you. Try doing a search in here, LLY vs LBZ and see what turns up

#5 ·
The LLY is a better truck considering it has a lot of highway miles, than short drives. The other may have been driven hard based on the New turbo and tuner.

Neither truck [LLY/LBZ] have a history of problems with injectors.

The early LLY trucks do have the old style head gaskets, and some have failed. However many have gone to 500k with no problems.

The resale of both is great, and should hold their value for many years, because of the limited emission equipment.

#6 ·
The LBZ is 22,500 and the LLY is 17,500. Neither seemed outrageous but both are above NADA/Edmunds and KBB - but thats the "premium" I think folks are putting on these trucks due to the engine and emission changes mid 07 forward.

My lean was the LLY due to the cost and my use.

Now the price is up…any other thoughts?

Thanks folks…

#7 ·
I jsut took a look and did a search at cars.com. It seems to me each of them is about $2000 high. Are them at Private sellers or Dealers? Depending on how long they have had it available one or the other may be more motivated to sell. Either may be willing to drop price to book value if you actually made an offer.

I don't mind paying what something is worth for it, but never more than it is worth. Depending on how far you are willing to drive to pick it up, there are other trucks out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.