right way to jumpstart the truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

right way to jumpstart the truck

Okay, searched forums, read what I could find. seems jumpstarting the truck the wrong way can blow some expensive electronics. so....... what is the best failsafe way to jumpstart our trucks. thats vehicle to vehicle. while we are at it. any special way to charge batterys. dont want to blow ecms or any other electronic part on my truck. too many horror stories on here. just askin for that oh chit moment when it dont start and for others to know just in case. thanks guys. if jumpin thru the battery posts, which battery is best.

You didnt see me
you cant prove it
I didnt do it
07-Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-Dmax View Post
Okay, searched forums, read what I could find. seems jumpstarting the truck the wrong way can blow some expensive electronics. so....... what is the best failsafe way to jumpstart our trucks. thats vehicle to vehicle. while we are at it. any special way to charge batterys. dont want to blow ecms or any other electronic part on my truck. too many horror stories on here. just askin for that oh chit moment when it dont start and for others to know just in case. thanks guys. if jumpin thru the battery posts, which battery is best.

Just make sure you ground black. I don't care what anyone says. I've always done it this way and never failed. Jumped probably a thousand vehicles. Just ground the negative. Always. Never negative it either end. If you must, negative the giving vehicle, but ground the other vehicle.

Batteries are gonna be like good Scotch. Everyone will have their favorite. I use standard cheapass Wally World nEverstarts in mine. Work fine and warrantied for 3 years, no questions asked. I don't expect a mass-manufactured battery to last longer than 3 years. Not my experience.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Read owners manual.

Iirc the book says + to the battery closest to starter, - to frame
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Mine has a little red box on the drivers side toward the front that has places to connect jumper cables. Open the red box to reveal a nut on a red cable for positive; there is a little flange below that for the negative cable. Black to black negative first, then do the red to red positives. Haven't cooked anything, YET.............
Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Jump start - Attach the red lead of the jumper cable to the red post of the battery on the passenger side of the vehicle (closest to the starter). Place the black lead on the engine block (do not attach to the alternator). Attach the other end of the cables to the vehicle providing the assistance. Make sure the engine is running on this vehicle. Attempt to start the vehicle.

Charging w/ battery charger - If equipped, open the red cover on the driver side of the engine near the power steering pump. If charging door is not present, attach charger to battery closest to the starter. 2 charger would be preferable, one for each battery. Attach the red cable of the battery charger here. Attach the black cable of the battery charger to the engine block. Turn the charger on and monitor the progress. When finished, turn the charger off and attempt to start the vehicle. NEVER TRY TO START THE VEHICLE WITH THE BATTERY CHARGER ON! This is most critical on LLY vintage and up. The glow plug control module is sensitive to AC ripple, and can get easily confused. It may cause all the glow plugs to stay on continually and burn them out.

Never arc battery cables near a discharged battery or freshly charged battery. The gases produced in the battery are explosive and you could blow the top of the battery off.
2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 CC/SB LT3, 265/75R16, Rhino Liner, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, 35w 6K HID Low Beam & Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, ISSPro Pyro, Boost, & Rail Pressure Gauges in A-Pillar, more to come soon.

1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L, 265/75R16, Brush Guard, Nerf Bars

Last edited by lugnut; 04-13-2011 at 03:22 AM.
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Never arc battery cables near a discharged battery or freshly charged battery. The gases produced in the battery are explosive and you could blow the top of the battery off.[/QUOTE]

holy chit! i didnt know that
RIP - 05 LLY and Allison 5spd
[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88;6Z28261
efilive is the easy way out...diehard smokers break out the butt connectors and get shit done
Z
jcbDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Ground to alternator(Considered grounding center for a running vehicle) and positive battery.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbDuramax View Post
Never arc battery cables near a discharged battery or freshly charged battery. The gases produced in the battery are explosive and you could blow the top of the battery off.
Quote:
holy chit! i didnt know that
If you read the fine print on top of your batteries, it says the same thing. Got to be careful around then, or you might be sorry one day.
2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 CC/SB LT3, 265/75R16, Rhino Liner, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, 35w 6K HID Low Beam & Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, ISSPro Pyro, Boost, & Rail Pressure Gauges in A-Pillar, more to come soon.

1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L, 265/75R16, Brush Guard, Nerf Bars
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.