help?? nasty noise frome serp belt - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

help?? nasty noise frome serp belt

hi. i have 2002 lb7, just hit 100k miles. im getting a nasty noise from the serpentine belt. same noise as if it had something spilt on it. ive heard this noise pretty regularily when i first start but tends to go away when its warmed up. i replaced my belt with napa s finest less then 15k miles ago. i just noticed that after we had been driving awhile was still very noisy. im thinkin tensioner pulley, or idler pulleys. could be the pulleys on any of the accessories though. how do i decifer which?? i see these pulleys are cheap and inexpensive, should i just do anyways?
Ry Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

well take belt off and spin each separately will tell you what you need. probably tensioner because they are fairly normal too go

2003 Chevy LB7 CC/SB Black - Cheap Hooker
EFI By Kory - Stacked Stacks - AFE Intake - Work Stock Puller

2002 GMC 4.8L RC/LB Beige - Cheap Stripper
EFI By Me - Soon To Be Single Turbo
RobsDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I would probably just go ahead and replace the all the pulleys. That's exactly what I decided to do after one of my pulleys literally fell apart and destroyed my belt. Almost left me stranded. I was hearing more of a whining noise though.

Mouthpiece, CAI Mod, PCV Rerouted, Edge Insight CTS with Pyro, MBRP Exhaust.

"It is not always the d.o.p.e. on the weapon, sometimes it is the dope behind the weapon!"
brolla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Just did this last weekend myself. Ended up just replacing all the pulleys and tensioner pulley as well as a good heavy duty belt. No sense messing with tensioners that only cost like 18 a piece anyways. I was hearing the same noises in the morning.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I was just gonna post a similar question as mine just started making this noise last week. It went a way for a few days but it came back yesterday. I was trying to think of a comparison noise. It doesn't do it all the time mabe two to three seconds at a time.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry Dogg View Post
....i see these pulleys are cheap and inexpensive, should i just do anyways?
At around 100k lifespan for the belt, always include a new tensioner and idlers with the new belt. Chances are slim they'll last another 100k and then you'll be in there with another new belt when they fail.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Where is a good place to purchase these?

LBZ|6"|Toyo AT|Fuel Mavericks
Custom Pearl Paint
S&B CAI|5" MBRP Exhaust|BD Power Pup|PPE Shim Kit|Profab EGR Delete|Profab DP|LML Manifold|PCV Re-route|Cobalt Boost & Pyro
Bilstein 5100 & Stabilizer|Krypto Tie Rods|Moog Pitman|Idler Arms|Krypto UCA
Mag Hytec Diff Cover
LsUtIGeRs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Willie has a complete kit

LBZ|6"|Toyo AT|Fuel Mavericks
Custom Pearl Paint
S&B CAI|5" MBRP Exhaust|BD Power Pup|PPE Shim Kit|Profab EGR Delete|Profab DP|LML Manifold|PCV Re-route|Cobalt Boost & Pyro
Bilstein 5100 & Stabilizer|Krypto Tie Rods|Moog Pitman|Idler Arms|Krypto UCA
Mag Hytec Diff Cover
LsUtIGeRs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

What is a good heavy duty belt. I was going to get it all off GM Parts Direct, but if I could get a HD belt that would probably be a good idea.

My belt started only squeaking when it was wet out but it has been getting progressively worse, gonna get parts now and try to hold off till spring to do it when its warm.
2003 Silverado 2500HD LB7 Ext. Cab SB. Straight Pipe Banks Exhaust, EFI Live DSP5 switched with EDGE Insight CTS, PPE Boost Valve, Hi-Idle Mod, De-badged,Banks Wastegate,S&B Intake, Blacked out Bumpers.
cab rack with brake lights and Rigid Duallys.

No Farms No Food
ACDiesel345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Well i dont know about a heavy duty belt. I do know once the noise starts it wont be long and the pully and bolt comes right off. I changed one because it was dry, didnt notice anything wrong with the second idler until i started the truck and the noise was still there. The next day it sounded like a cage of pissed off squirrels. The pulley seized and then removed itself from the engine bay. Now for some reason i have been avoiding the tentioner pully. Probably should do that soon. Good luck
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.