Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

06 Front Bumper Build

64K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Barricade 
#1 ·
Hey, been lurking here for a while, but finally decided to make a post. I just finished up building a front bumper for my 06 CCSB. I started it back in August and just got it painted and on the truck last week. I need to take some better "finished" pictures.

The center "main" piece is made from 1/4 wall 2x6 square tubing, the rest is 3/16 mild. The D-ring mounts are solid 1x4 bar stock and the bumper to frame mounts are 1/2x2 bar. I just realized I don't have any good pictures of the mounts...I'll have to get some.

I'm planning to mount a 21.5in LED light bar and 2 driving lights inside the hoop. Along with some flush mounted fog lights when I find some that fit what I'm looking for. I'd also like to at some point mount a winch. Not that there's really much of a reason to have a winch, but there are times where it could come in handy.

Anyway... Here are a bunch of pictures from cardboard templates to (mostly) finished product. Pay no attention to the dented fender and messed up hood. They were like that when I bought it...I swear.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks!

How much metal did you use? What was the final cost of it all?
Off the top of my head I dont know the exact count for materials used. I probably have $150-200 into materials. I have about 30 hours from starting the cardboard templates to finished product.

U might want to open up the front for air flow it u are planning on towing in hot weather. I installed a road armor bumper on my truck awhile ago. it run a little hotter now. the trany cooler sits right behined the air vents in the factory bumper.
Hmm thanks for the heads up. I want to say it doesnt block it, I think most of the trans cooler sits behind the plastic filler piece under the grille. Trans temps havent increased since the install, but I havent had this on in summer heat yet. I also plan to get the soft trans lines and flip my trans cooler so its behind the grille.

Sorry I havent gotten better pics...been busy with the holidays.

I also want to add, the D-ring mounts are welded on both faces of the 2x6 .250 tubing. So they're super beefy, not just welded to the front face of the bumper.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Still working on getting some better pictures. Its been snowy and cold since my last post. So my whole truck, including the bumper is coated with a nice thick layer of frozen slop and salt. If we get a day warm enough that I can wash my truck I'll post up some pictures!

#11 ·
#9 ·
Very Nice....... I really like your design!

#10 ·
Great job. Looks good:thumb

#12 ·
Oh wow that looks AWESOME!!!! Id say it looks better then 95% of the big money aftermarket bumpers out there :D

#14 ·
Did you sell your Landcruiser 60 series?

#17 ·
Currently pending sale... :(

Any pics on the mounting bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I can get some. Its pretty simple, there are tabs welded to the bumper that bolt to the frame. No big bulky multiple piece set ups like some bumpers, simply slide the bumper in and bolt it down.

that does look nice. cheap ass factory bumpers are junk. did you coat it with anything special to keep it from rusting from the salt up there?
I painted it with a few heavy coats of SEM Rust Shield. I debated getting it bed lined, but I still want to put some recessed fog lights on it and do some more tube work. So I basically just wanted to get some paint on it before winter and then come spring maybe tinker on it more.

Thanks for the good words guys!

#19 ·
Thanks man! I'm all over MUD, I have a whole build thread over there for both cruisers I've owned. Here's a picture of my pride and joy, it was fun building it and I'm super sad to sell it. But I was trashing it wheeling in the tight woods around here and it deserves better. I'm planning on building up an FJ40 though for my wheeling rig.

Here are a couple shots...I bought it bone stock from the south almost 4 years ago.

#20 ·
Awesome cruiser

Looks Great! Here's mine........gonna get in trouble for posting cruisers!:cool:

Attachments

#21 ·
And another!

Attachments

#22 ·
Loved it.......but had to get something that handle these passes! Gassers don't do so well above 10,000 ft. Had fun in Moab tho!

#24 ·
Yes it did:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.