How To: Color Match your LMM front end - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How To: Color Match your LMM front end

The reason I'm posting this How To is because I had to search high and low just to figure out what I was doing. With that said, I will try to post my process as clearly as I possibly can. Pics will be soon.

Remove your front bumper - several methods to do this. First I popped the hood and took the cover that goes over the radiator to the grill off. Then remove the grill. All you have to do then is pull the fog light assemblies out (3 clips per light) and remove the 4 bolts that hold the bumper on.

Next take the bumper apart piece by piece. The 2 side pieces come off first then the lower plastic valance then the metal piece. Don't forget to remove the chrome trim piece on top of the hood.

Gather your paint/prep materials:
-orbital sander (way easy and fast)
-80, 120, 240 grit discs (you will use more 80 than 120/240)
-400, 600, 1500 grit sheets (more 400/600, only 1 or 2 1500 sheets)
-Painters tape (usually blue or green)
-Wax/Grease remover
-Laquer thinner
-KleenStrip Bulldog adhesion promoter (1 quart)
-2k High build primer (1 quart) with activator
-Base coat (1 quart) (I prefer PPG)
-Clear coat (1 quart) with activator
-hvlp paint gun

Preperation:
1) Scuff that tacky chrome film REALLY well with 80 grit. You don't necessarly have to sand all of the chrome off but be sure you have that chrome really super-duper scuffed. The black plastic lower valance can be skipped and just sanded with 120/240.
2) Go over everything with 120 then 240. The orbital sander really makes things go quick. Then apply wax/grease remover to everything on the surface.
3) Pour about 12-16 ounces of Bulldog adhesion promoter in your gun. This does not require thinner and it is VERY thin right out of the can. Spray 2 coats. Wait 3-5 min. in between 1st and 2nd coat and 5-10 between 2nd coat and high build primer.
4) Mix up 8 ounces of primer, 2 ounces of activator, and 2 ounces of your remaining bulldog in your paint gun. the bulldog will act as a thinner for your paint while giving it more stickiness to the surface. Give it 3-4 coats.
5) After each coat of primer, wet sand with 400 grit and after the final coat wet sand with 600 grit.
6) Mix 10 ounces of your base coat to 3 ounces of laquer thinner. Don't ask me why, but it makes the perfect viscosity for the gun. Put 3 Coats on, wet sanding with 600 ONLY if there are imperfections such as runs or orange peel, inbetween coats, and after the final base coat.
7) Mix 8 ounces of clear, 4 ounce of activator, 2 ounces of thinner. Make sure you hold the gun slightly closer to the surface and reduce the width of the spray a little so the "fan out" isn't as big of pattern. Apply 3 coats. You may wetsand with 600 but again only if there are runs. After the final coat has cured for a few hours, wetsand with 1500 to give it a nice shine and take care of whatever orange peel is left.

That should be it. It seems like a big undertaking but it really isn't. I'm 17 and I've never touched a paint gun before and it turned out 99.99% perfect. It will take 2-3 days so make sure you won't need your truck or have a 2nd vehicle. It is illegal to drive without a bumper.

This paint method can also be used on your mirrors, rear bumper, rear bumper cap, tailgate handle, etc... Be sure you tape everything off that you dont want paint on and have a clean area with plenty of ventilation. The only piece i used tape on was the grill. ALSO... do NOT worry if you have runs up the @$$ on your first primer coats. Just sand the runs away and adjust your gun/paint stroke accordingly.

If there are any questions please let me know!
-Mitch
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

sub'd...
07.5 LMM. EFI Live by Kory, Banks Intake, EGR welded, PCV reroute, SSDP Trans w/ SC1058, ProFab downpipe, 5in Flo Pro, Air Dog 150, PPE rail plug, Kryptonite UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, sleeves, braces, boost, fuel, and EGT ISSpro gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBack View Post
It's been a minute since I killed a hooker.
BLACKMAX1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Jeff

ohhhhhhh l love custom stuff!!!!

White 2012 LML CCSB LTZ 4x4, all the Options. + NAV/Sunroof/Rear Sliding Glass/Rear DVD
Gray 2008 ECSB LT Silverado 1500 "Texas Edition", Stock 20s, Nitto 420s- Daily Driver
JWC's - LML Silverado / LML Side Project - Thread
Body Dropped Build Thread - 2001 Sierra / 2000 S10
- Lowering A Lifted Truck - Cognito Support Kit- Cognito UCA kit - How To LML Cat Adapter -Modified Dual Stabilizer Kit-
jwcgmc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Sub to read later
04 Sierra
5.3/lifted/bullydog/blacked out/4:11s/ FOR SALE

Lookin for another dmax.
backwoodsdmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Jeff

wait no wetsanding with 2000?!?!?!

White 2012 LML CCSB LTZ 4x4, all the Options. + NAV/Sunroof/Rear Sliding Glass/Rear DVD
Gray 2008 ECSB LT Silverado 1500 "Texas Edition", Stock 20s, Nitto 420s- Daily Driver
JWC's - LML Silverado / LML Side Project - Thread
Body Dropped Build Thread - 2001 Sierra / 2000 S10
- Lowering A Lifted Truck - Cognito Support Kit- Cognito UCA kit - How To LML Cat Adapter -Modified Dual Stabilizer Kit-
jwcgmc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

nice write up

now pics...
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Alot of people tend to use higher grit than they actually need, to the point where the sandpaper isn't doing anything. But again, it's just the way I did it. Feel free to shy away from my method.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
nice write up

now pics...
I'm one of those guys who would rather get pics on a nice day all at once than bad cell pics that make it look terrible lol
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-customs View Post
I'm one of those guys who would rather get pics on a nice day all at once than bad cell pics that make it look terrible lol
i gotcha, soon i hope!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
So Long Space Cowboy...
Supporting Member

Cant wait for a nice day! Ready for some pics!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using AutoGuide App

Mostly Stock, Deleted, Kory's Tunes, 45% Exergy Injectors, Airdog,
Stage 3 Dmaxstore Front End, AGR SB2 Gearbox, Isspro Gauges, and a stock trans...

j.stanton2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.