How To: Ice Pick Injector Harness/ Connectors - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

How To: Ice Pick Injector Harness/ Connectors

Hello all-
I decided to put this together after finding that when i needed a how to on how to perform the injector ice pick operation in a time of need on the side of the road i was surprised that i could find very little information on this site that clearly depicted how to do this with decent pictures . So i hope this may help someone else that may resort to using it in a time of need- because we all know the side of the road isn't a good place to be.

How To Ice Pick Your Injector Harness:

1: Obtain the needed tools. I found that it is relatively easy to find a set of "ice picks" or pick and hook set at my local Wal-Mart. I used a slightly smaller ice pick on mine. you do not want to use a large ice pick for this operation. If the ice pick is as big around as a pencil then it is too big, but one as big around as a toothpick typically works better. Some may agree with this some may not, but it's what i have found that works the best while minimizing the amount of water that could potentially get into the connector after the fact when the engine is being washed/ cleaned, ETC. The biggest thing is that the ice pick is sharp. For those of you that do not have a local Wal-Mart this essential tool can typically be obtained at any local hardware store. I found a set at my local Wal-Mart for less than $5 for a set of 5. And of course the brand name of the ice picks is Dura-Max.. lol...

2: The first thing you are going to want to do to ice pick your injectors to know where your injectors are.. haha... The picture below shows a far away view of the approximate location on the aluminum heads of where the injectors are located. You will be looking for a black plastic electrical connector with two wires coming out of it as seen in the pictures below.

3: Decide which injectors to perform the ice picking operation to. If you are stuck on the side of the road i would hit the problem injectors first to get you up and running. This would be the injector closest to the front of the truck on the passenger side, and the injector closest to the firewall on the passenger side. These three are typically the problem child injectors because of the angle of the connection that is made to the injector. The extra pre-load caused by the connector design typically causes these to become loose first.

Here's how the cylinders are arranged FYI:
The passenger side is 1,3,5,7 front to back
The driver side is 2,4,6,8 front to back

4: To remove the injector plug push down on the black plastic tab on the top of the connector and pull the plug in towards the injector and then pull the connector off of the injector. You may have to wiggle these a little bit to get them off, but they should come off very easily. Do not pull or yank on the wires or use excessive force here.

5: Once the plug is off of the injector flip the injector connection to the side depicted in the picture below. The set of "snake bites" in the picture is where i have already performed this on my injector connections and aides you in locating where the ice pick should be inserted into the injector plug. This is the side you want to perform the "ice pick" operation. The side to ice pick has the writing on it to make it easier to locate.

Side to Ice Pick:

Side Not to Ice Pick:

6: Once you figure out the orientation of the connector and are ready to perform the ice picking operation be aware that this can be potentially dangerous. When performing the ice picking the ice pick can slip off the injector or go through the injector and pierce your hand or anything behind it- other wires, radiator hoses, etc.- and believe me they are unforgiving as there usually a good bit of force behind the ice pick from you pushing on it when it happens.

7. Line the ice pick up on the connector as depicted below. There isn't a 100% exact spot on place to perform this on the injector but the object is to be VERY close to the location depicted in the location. The object here is to put the pointed end of the ice pick on the plastic injector connector and shove it through the side of the connector until it is almost to the other side. Some people prefer to do this to where the tip of the ice pick just begins to protrude out of the other side of the connector so you know you have indeed made a good crimp. By doing this you are effectively "re-crimping" the loose connector inside the injector allowing it to make a good connection and when this is done it also forces the plastic that is dimpled in to more effectively hold the connector in place. You will have to do this twice for each connector as you can see the two small holes in the side of the connector below as you have to do this for each of the two wires inside the connector.

8. After you have finished ice picking the injector connector you should have two holes in it as shown below. You are now done with the ice pick operation.

9. Before re-connecting the injector you can optionally put a small amount of die-electric grease into the end of the injector connector where the metal spades are to protect the connector from corrosion and the elements and to ensure a better connection. After this is completed make sure the small orange rectangle shaped o-ring is still on the connector and then plug the connector back into the injector. Take a look around and make sure the wire isn't rubbing anything around it. If it is this would be a good time to go ahead and tape it up or put some new wire loom on it as it gets brittle and falls off due to the heat in the engine bay which exposes the delicate wiring.

10. After you have made all of your connections and performed the ice picking operation on the needed connectors start the truck up and make sure it runs correctly. Throw the ice pick in your glove box in case you need it on the side of the road.

Hope this helps and as always if i missed something leave a comment and let me know so i can update so this can be made available for others to reference that may not know how to do this. We were all new to the Duramax at one point.. haha.

Happy Trucking..
20" XD Hoss/ 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers/ Re-routed/ Blocked/ Shimmed/ TBSS Steering Wheel/ Red Head Steering Gearbox/ 5" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe/ Magnaflow DP/ K&N Intake/AFE Mouthpiece/ Factory Touchscreen Navigation Swap/ 2 MTX 10" Subs/ 6000K HIDS lows&fogs/ Recon LED tails/ Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors/ Moog Front End/ Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods/ ADII 165 w/ CAT filter/ All Seasons Diesel Steering Brace/ 3" Drop Shackles/ Autometer Cobalts/ 200K+ Miles of Smiles

Last edited by brokesmoke; 03-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
brokesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Nice write up! I coulda used this a while back when I had to icepick mine
ARP Studs
Built Front End
Need more Air and Fuel
12.830@105.86mph
The S.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S.O.M. View Post
Nice write up! I coulda used this a while back when I had to icepick mine
Thanks!
As much as i wanted to remain a loyal dedicated fan of the Duramax Forum I had to go to another site to get the information i needed when it happened to me because i couldn't find a decent write up on here... lol...

So i figured i might as well make it happen while i have a little bit of free time.. Took me less than an hour..
20" XD Hoss/ 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers/ Re-routed/ Blocked/ Shimmed/ TBSS Steering Wheel/ Red Head Steering Gearbox/ 5" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe/ Magnaflow DP/ K&N Intake/AFE Mouthpiece/ Factory Touchscreen Navigation Swap/ 2 MTX 10" Subs/ 6000K HIDS lows&fogs/ Recon LED tails/ Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors/ Moog Front End/ Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods/ ADII 165 w/ CAT filter/ All Seasons Diesel Steering Brace/ 3" Drop Shackles/ Autometer Cobalts/ 200K+ Miles of Smiles

Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up I'm sure it will be useful to have handy now rather then needing to dig around on google. Kudos!

MadJack Racing
Synthetic Motorsports
1/4 Mile 13.435@99.42 Built Trans Tune...Stock Failing Trans
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain Slt
DaJokr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
Thanks for the write up I'm sure it will be useful to have handy now rather then needing to dig around on google. Kudos!
Same thing i had to do... Haha..

Thanks again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If any body sees any thing that needs added just let me know. The more information the better.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Beauty of a write-up!.

Last edited by OhFercrimanySakes; 06-27-2013 at 11:03 AM.
OhFercrimanySakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Thanks man- It seems like for it being something so simple somebody else would have made on already..

meh.. at any rate at least we have one to reference going forward with decent pictures.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Very good information. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Good pics too!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quick question or two... Is the need for the ice pick mod due to loose injector harness connections? Is this only affecting certain years?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

"There is no greater threat to the tree of liberty than an uninformed, uneducated, and timid people. Through history liberty has always been destroyed by the aforementioned and their rulers."
lastbassalope is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.