Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Write Up: SDP LML Intercooler pipes

84K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  txhunter21 
#1 ·
Screamin Diesel Performance

3" Passenger side and Driver side intercooler pipes

I had been looking to upgrade my intercooler pipes on my LML when I came across SDP's kit. I ordered the kit and was able to choose from pretty much any color I wanted. I chose "Tropical Breeze". First off, Scott at SDP is a stand up guy! He answered every question I asked and kept me up to date with my order. He always made sure I had what I needed. He's a great guy to deal with and I would recommend him and Screamin Diesel Performance to anyone.

When I first received the pipes I was thoroughly impressed! From the pipes to the packaging, everything was flawless. They were neatly packed with plenty of padding. I received the pipes without a ding or scratch. The contents of the kit are top notch! Nice bends, welds and overall finish were immaculate. I literally could not find one flaw and I am a very picky person. Install was a breeze, even for my first time. As far as fitment goes, these pipes went in flawlessly. They fell right into place, nice and tight with little to no adjustment needed. They fit just as good as the factory pipes.

So I've put together a set of instructions for these pipes and have included some pictures of the pipes themselves. I am by no means a professional mechanic, but this is the way I installed them and found to be the easiest. I'm sure there are other ways/order to install them, but this is how I did it.

First up is the passenger side. The driver side pipe is being shipped to me now and I will post a write up and instructions on those as well.
(Passenger/Cold Side)
Link to kit: LML Passenger side intercooler pipe kit - Screamin Diesel Performance

Kit Contents:

• (1) long pipe
• (1) short pipe
• (2) 3" rubber boots
• (3) 3" clamps
• (1) 3.25" clamp

Disconnect both batteries before installing.

Step 1: Remove passenger side inner fender well.

Step 2: Disconnect and remove intake elbow with flat head screw driver. Disconnect MAF sensor plug on air box. Pull air box out of truck.

Step 3: Remove plastic "6.6" intake resonator. 3 bolts hold this piece on. A resonator block will have to be added in its place. The plastic intake resonator cannot be used with this intercooler pipe.

Step 4: Remove the 9 bolts that hold the silver cast "S pipe" in place. Disconnect all sensors. Wrap grid heater power cable in electrical tape. Tuck plugs out of the way. Twist the lock ring to the left and twist out "S pipe". Keep the two bolts that bolt the "S pipe" onto the Y bridge. These will be re-used.

Step 5: Disconnect plug from plastic tab on the factory intercooler pipe. Disconnect the air intake temperature sensor.

Step 6: Remove air box support platform. There are 5 bolts that hold this piece in place. 2 bolts underneath. 3 bolts on top.

Step 7: Twist lock ring to left and twist out factory intercooler pipe.

See less See more
#2 ·
Step 8: Install rubber boot onto intercooler. Slide 3.25 " clamp over boot first and tighten. Next, slide the 3" clamp over of the boot but do not tighten at this time. **(Both clamps not pictured)**

Step 9: Drop in the long intercooler pipe through top of engine bay. Push pipe inside of the boot. Slightly tighten 3" clamp to hold pipe in place.

Step 10: Slide rubber boot half way onto the other end of the intercooler pipe. Slide the short pipe in.

Step 11: Bolt the pipe to the Y bridge and tighten down using existing hardware. Install the 2 clamps onto boot and tighten down. Next, tighten down the clamp from step 9.

Step 12: Re-insert and tighten MAP sensor onto intercooler pipe.

Step 13: Re-insert and tighten air intake temperature sensor.

Step 14: Re-install air box support tray. Re-install air intake. Start truck and check for leaks. Re-install fender well.

Finished Product:

#6 ·
Def a good write up!

#7 ·
That looks very nice

#8 ·
Have you gotten your Driver side? I don't see on SDPs site?

This is nice

#10 ·
Sub'd. Awesome write up man. To clarify, this is the grid heater delete technically?

#12 ·
Just called, but no answer.
What is the price on the driver side from SDP?

I also called HSP they wont be making a passenger side for another month or so he said, But they offer the Driver Side for $199.

#13 ·
I don't believe they have set a price for the driver side yet. I'm probably the first one with the pipe...making sure everything lines up correctly. They will probably have the pipe posted on the website within the week or so. I do believe the price will be around $200 though.

#15 ·
Thats really nice Scott! Sharp looking products

Waiting to see Tyler's final products installed and reviews !

#17 ·
Driver Side IC pipe

Driver side intercooler pipe came in!
Once again, all the parts were top notch and everything fit perfect. I've had zero issues with these pipes so far.

Here's some pics and instructions for them!

Link to kit:2011-2015 LML 3" Drivers side Intercooler pipe - Screamin Diesel Performance

kit contents:
  • (1) long pipe
  • (1) short pipe
  • (2) 3" rubber boots
  • (1) 2.5" to 3" boot adapter
  • (5) 3" clamps

Step 1: Turn wheels to the left and remove inner fender well.

Step 2: Using an 11mm, Loosen the bottom intercooler pipe clamp.

Step 3: Loosen top intercooler pipe clamp.

Step 4: Disconnect the pipe from turbo side and intercooler side; pull intercooler pipe out of truck through the top.

Step 5: Install 3" boot onto intercooler and install 3" clamp using a 10mm. (tighten). Slide 3" clamp over boot. (Do not tighten)

Step 6: Slide long pipe in from top of engine and slide into lower boot.

Step 7: Slide boot over the other end of pipe. Slide both 3" clamps over boot. (do not tighten)

Step 8: The factory 2.5" clamp will be re used for this kit. Using a razor blade, cut rubber seal off and remove clamp from pipe.

Step 9: Install the 2.5" to 3" boot adapter onto short pipe. Install and tighten down the 3" clamp. Slide on the 2.5" clamp. (do not tighten)

Step 10: Slide pipe onto turbo.

Step 11: Twist the pipe down and connect to long pipe.

Step 12: Starting from the top, tighten all clamps.

Step 13: Start truck and check for leaks. Reinstall fender well.

Finished Product:

#18 ·
Looks great! The color is awesome too! I'm defiantly considering a twin kit from sdp, when the funds are there haha.

#19 ·
Looks great. So would this be considered up pipes? I may consider this. Also what differences have you noticed? Better mpg? More power? More responsive? If you were to do twins later on would you have to replace all of this or some of it?

#23 ·
Appreciate it! No these are intercooler pipes...since I've done everything in my sig at once, I can't really say what differences I've noticed. But from what I've read you gain, more boost and better throttle response. Also a little more turbo noise.
And if I did twins, I would only keep the driver side pipe.

#20 ·
Damn dude. That looks sick!

#24 ·
Hmmm kk thx. Good to know. More boost and turbo noise is always good :thumb

#26 ·
i was thinking about getting the driver side done soon. Is it safe to drive without the passenger side?

#28 ·
Sorry, should have been more specific. Yes, I meant the factory passenger side and the SDP driver side. Thanks for the quick reply.

#31 ·
I pulled the trigger and ordered the driver side last night. I also was wanting the Jolly Rancher red! I'll post some pics when it gets here!

#32 ·
Ohhhhh can't wait to see that color!

I was also thinking OSU candy orange.....

Not having a house or a place to work on anything (sold our house, waiting on another, living with inlaws) is making me go nuts since if I order anything I won't be here to install it (working in the field) or if I am I don't have my tools or a place to install :(

If you don't post up in here at least post up my thread :D

Here's that orange
Auto part Rocker cover Metal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.