Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 Bumper mod

120K views 58 replies 40 participants last post by  zeake 
#1 · (Edited)
HOW TO: 2015 Bumper mod

I've seen a couple people do this, and I just finished it myself. So if you are wondering how to shim your bumper forward to clear larger tires here it is. Sorry for the crappy pics.

First remove the grille, 12 push rivets on top remove the plastic, then remove the (4) 10mm bolts. Grille just pops off after that, give is a good tug and it will come off.

10mm bolts

Next there are a total of (6) 15mm bolts that need to be taken out, 3 per side. (2) of them can just be loosened so the bumper brace drops down. The (2) that are side by side, the inside one only needs to be loosened.

15mm bolt location behind bumper

15mm outside bolt (looking up)

15mm inside bolts (looking inward)

Next there are (4) 18mm bolts that have to be removed, 2 per side. The top bolts you can see in the first picture, the bottom ones you can see in the second picture. All are removed from the top.

18mm bolt location

18mm bolts looking down at bumper

Once all those are removed the bumper should just pull forward and off.

Now I apologize for not getting pictures of the brackets with the bumper off, I was trying to hurry because it was beginning to rain. So the next pictures are after I installed the spacers and reinstalled the bumper.

There of 2 mounting brackets with (4) bolts each, 1 per side. You will need longer bolts once you shim them, they are 10x1.50 and I used 2 inch bolts to make sure I had enough threads, threaded through. You will need a big washer, at least the size of the one on the factory bolts because there is a huge hole behind the washer so that you can adjust the brackets up/down, left/right. I got the spacers and bolts from NAPA from a tension kit. You may have to ask for them, they had to get them from the back for me. You don't have to get the whole kit, you can get the bolts and spacers individually. Or you can just go to the local hardware store and buy them. My spacers are about 1/2 inch, other have used 5/8 inch spacers, which I may have to switch to. I'll know tomorrow when my tires are installed.

Bolts with spacers attached. Only shows the 2 inside bolts, the outside are under the bumper.

Drivers side

Passenger side

After that you just put everything back together, and you're done. Would have taken me less than an hour if I didn't have to run back to NAPA for the longer bolts. You can use the factory bolts, they will thread, but I didn't feel safe with as short as they where.

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks factory if you ask me. I don't have a side shot of the truck before the mod, so I don't have a picture for you to compare it to, but this is after the mod. The distance is so small, most people will never know unless you tell them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info and that's a sharpe truck!

#6 ·
could a stack of washers be used in place of the spacers I assume? Then you could fine tune how far out the bumper is pushed? Bolts you used are M10x1.50x2" I assume I can find those at most parts stores or even home depot?

#10 ·
Great Write up. I am going to give this a try tomorrow, make some 5/8" spacers on the mill once I get the bolt and see what the mounting area looks like.

#12 ·
Nice write up! I'm def gonna have to do that this weekend!

#13 ·
Great write up. Followed your instruction step-by-step and encountered no issues. Had a hard time finding the exact spacers you used at NAPA so I went to a local hardware store and pictured up 2 inch long bolts as well as washers and a larger diameter nut to act as a spacer. Went 5/8 inch out. The naked eye would never be able to see a difference, plus it saved me from a WHOLE LOT of rubbing.

#14 ·
Great idea on using a bigger bolt as a spacer. I found an old set of aluminum handlebars from my old ducati that fit the bolt perfect and had about a 1/4" thick wall so I used the chop saw and cut 8 5/8" spacers

#37 ·
I used nuts that were bigger than the bolts as spacers, I think I used two washers and a nut for each bolt and it came out to 5/8s

Reactions: BigBlack808
#16 ·
Great write up!! I also followed your instructions and it took all the guess work out.
I also raised mine 1/2" as another member had mentioned by notching another 1/4" out of mount bracket.

Reactions: mb1
#21 ·
I just completed this. Looks great except my wheels wont fit so a little trimming of bumper and fender mod will be needed. I used bumper shims which have an open on one end so i just loosened the brackets and shoved the spacers in. Ended up just shy of an 1/2", which is perfect the back edge of the bumper is inline with front edge of grill. I also raised the bumper without notching anything. It shrunk the gap to the grill to a short 1/4. Which hides the fact that its shimmed ahead.

#27 ·
OP, thanks for posting

#31 ·
how many bolts and spacers are needed? is it 8?

#33 ·
thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.