How To: Add Factory Navigation to your truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

How To: Add Factory Navigation to your truck

This was taken from user "schramautoparts". In no way is this my link, or writeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchramAutoParts View Post
I wrote a guide some time ago for my customers on eBay:
eBay Guides - GM Truck SUV navigation install guide Tahoe Silverado

hope this helps. It's a real easy process. Just make sure if your truck has the BOSE speaker package that the unit you bought is for the BOSE speaker package, or you will have an unpleasant chime.
here's a link to his ebay store: eBay My World - schramautoparts

Applies to Chevy Silverado, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Suburban,
Chevy Tahoe, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon, and GMC Yukon XL

The following are instructions on how to install a factory navigation system into a full size General Motors truck or SUV. These vehicles include the Chevy Silverado, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon, and GMC Yukon XL. In this example we installed the navigation system into a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD that did not have the navigation option from the factory.
In order to install the navigation unit you will need the unit itself, the navigation antenna, and the navigation map DVD. In this particular case we used a GM navigation unit which was OEM part number 15940102 with a GM antenna which was OEM part number 15201798. Below are the steps necessary to install this OEM navigation system into a vehicle that did not originally have one.
Navigation Systems Available Here!

Step 1:
Step 1:
Remove the two ten millimeter bolts that hold the oh sh#% handle on passenger side A-pillar. Remove the handle. Next remove the A-pillar trim panel. The trim panel snaps on with a couple clips. You will also need to unplug the tweeter mounted to the trim panel.

Step 2:
Step 2:
Remove the A-pillar trim on the drivers side. You will need to remove a seven millimeter bolt located underneath a small plastic cap. This trim panel also clips in with a couple clips. Again you will have to unplug the tweater mounted in the panel.

Step 3:
Step 3:
Remove the dash trim panel that buts up against the windshield. This part clips on, there are no bolts to attach it. Be careful as the part is made of plastic. You will have to disconnect the light sensor that is connected to this trim panel. To disconnect it just turn the sensor counter clockwise and it will come out.

Step 4:
Step 4:
Next remove the trim plate around the radio. This part clips on. You will not need to remove any bolts or nuts to remove this panel. You will have to disconnect the wires for the heater controls.

Step 5:
Step 5:
For a good practice we are going to test the navigation unit before going any further. Remove the old radio and the heat control unit (which must be removed before the radio). Make sure the key is off on the vehicle. Plug the antenna into the navigation system and set it on the dash. Plug the radio wires into the navigation unit. You will see the navigation system has 4 inputs on the back for a wiring harness to go into. You will find you only have two wiring harnesses available. Do not be alarmed, this is correct and you cannot plug the wires into the wrong place. The plugs are slotted to ensure that the correct wiring goes into the right plug. Once you are all plugged in (don't forget about the am/fm antenna!) go ahead and turn the key on. Test the unit to make sure everything is working properly. You will not be able to use the navigation until you have navigation disk. It will however tell you your current GPS coordinates.  Keep in mind if you are inside of a garage or around any large building the antenna may not be able to communicate with the satellites.  If the navigation unit is functioning properly then please move on to the next step.

Step 6:
Step 6:
Now you will need to fish the navigation antenna through the dash. I was able to fish the wire through the dash with my hands. You may find you need a coat hanger and electrical tape to get the wire through properly. Make sure that the antenna wiring does not get pinched when you install the navigation unit into the dash.

Step 7:
Step 7:
Snap the antenna into place. There is a pre-installed location for the antenna to snap in directly underneath the dash/windshield trim panel that you removed earlier. The snap in location is near the center of the dash off set to the passenger side a few inches.

Step 8:
Step 8:
Re-assemble.

Step 9:
Step 9:
If everything works properly you should be up and running at this point! When the unit first turns on you should be greeted with the logo from the make of your vehicle (in this case GMC). The nav will need a navigation map disk to function as a navigating system but you will be able to use the the radio and all of the other features of the navigation unit. The map disk is inserted behind the screen of the navigation system. The screen folds down and the navigation disk is inserted. This allows you to use the other visible disk drive on the system for CD's, MP3 disks, and even DVD movies (which can only be viewed while in park and only available on units with DVD movie capability). You will also want to disable the rear camera option (since your vehicle did not come with navigation it also did not come with a rear camera) or else you will get an error message about your rear video system. To do this go to"menu", click "display", choose "rear camera options" and uncheck the box to view rear camera while in reverse. This will eliminate the error message and your nav system will remain the same when you shift into reverse.
So there you have it. How to install a factory navigation system into your Chevy Silverado, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon, and GMC Yukon XL when it did not come with the navigation system from the factory!
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Hey thanks for the plug! I was searching to see if there was a thread with a list of NAV units confirmed to work in the Silverado / Sierra? We just installed 20792735 and 20792736 today, and both worked like a charm. Since they were new units, no programing was nesscary, but both say "DELPHI" instead of "CHEVY" or "GMC" on start up. For the record, those part numbers are out of a 2009 Saturn Outlook.
EDITED TO ADD:
We've also confirmed that 20792737 and 2079274 work as well, which are for the 2009 GMC Acadia, but haven't installed any ourselves yet.
SchramAutoParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

Excellent man, great write up.

Feel free to add any new info you want in here.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I got mine installed yesterday finally. I voice prompt on comes on and says "your guidance will start when u get to the main road" and then only comes back and says " u have reached your destiation, nothing while driving. Any ideas?
chipwied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

So it's giving you voice when you enter a location, and when you get there, but not step by step when you're driving?
A Couple of ideas:
Did you instal a VSS wire with yours? It shouldn't be the difference, but I can't be sure
Have you gone through the options for the NAV to make sure step-by-step directions are turned on? There are likely several different vvoice options, it'd be worth scrolling through them.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I found a bulletin PIT4987. That kinda says something about the problem and a harness my be needed. But it says denali, an something about low speed lan amplifier. ??
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

What part number is your radio and what is the VIN of your vehicle?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchramAutoParts View Post
Hey thanks for the plug! I was searching to see if there was a thread with a list of NAV units confirmed to work in the Silverado / Sierra? We just installed 20792735 and 20792736 today, and both worked like a charm. Since they were new units, no programing was nesscary, but both say "DELPHI" instead of "CHEVY" or "GMC" on start up. For the record, those part numbers are out of a 2009 Saturn Outlook.
EDITED TO ADD:
We've also confirmed that 20792737 and 2079274 work as well, which are for the 2009 GMC Acadia, but haven't installed any ourselves yet.
Here are all of the GMT-800 part numbers I have come up with so far...

Diesel Place

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

1gthk63649f1166585 15940103radio
Old 07-08-2010, 12:42 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipwied View Post
1gthk63649f1166585 15940103radio
Can you double check the vin? It's not decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.