How To: Ignition Override - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Who is interested in having an Ignition Override
Yes, I have or want to install an Ignition Override 16 50.00%
No, I'm only interested in a High Idle 5 15.63%
No, I don't want any of it 2 6.25%
No, I have a Remote Start that does the same thing 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How To: Ignition Override

I just spent a few hours going over the Ign override systems similar to what Police cars use. And while there are systems out there that will do it, they cost $140 plus wiring harnesses. So I figured out a simple way to do it for a lot less money.

This is for installing a momentary switch in a Duramax that once pushed will allow the keys to be removed and the truck to still run. It is deactivated once the brake pedal is pushed, shutting the truck off.

I would also recommend adding the high idle feature to this, so that whenever the switch is pushed it goes into high idle. It is really important not to run diesels at low idle for long periods of time.

This could easily be adapted to other vehicles but the wire colors, numbers, and pins are for an LBZ because that is what I have the wiring diagrams for.

It requires;
6 relays (Good cheap ones I have used before are VPA 80238, they are $9 for a pair)
4 Circuit Breakers 30 Amp ($3 screw terminal style work great)
1 Circuit Breaker 10 Amp
16 or 18 ga wire
12 ga wire
eye terminals for 12 and 16 ga wire

Follow the diagram attached.

Basically run 4 12 ga wires from the battery, alternator output, or batt stud at the fuse block to the 4 circuit breakers.
From the circuit breakers to the relays.
From the relays tap into the 4 main circuits that the ignition switch runs.
Add a couple relays and momentary switch with 16 ga wire to control it.
Add a circuit going to the ECM for high idle and you're done. You will have to get 2 ecm terminal pins from a dealer for the high idle.

I will get more detailed instructions soon if there is any interest.

All in all I am guessing around $50 in parts and 2-3 hours in time. I will be doing this after my baby comes and everything settles down and can tell how long it took.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ign Override Mod.pdf (259.9 KB, 409 views)

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP

Last edited by ZiGBlazer; 10-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
ZiGBlazer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I now have a baby Girl, born August 22nd. And my '95 6.5L finally sold.

Now I will be able to order a few things for my Duramax. Among those will be an upgraded PS pump and the stuff to install this Ignition Override.

So in the next few weeks I will be installing it and will let everyone know how it turns out. I expect it will be very useful for keeping the truck warm in the winter so our little girl doesn't have to get back into a cold truck here in Northern MN. Just push a button, pull the key out, and not worry about someone stealing the truck. I wouldn't worry about it where I live, but we don't have any stores right here, and down in Duluth I would worry about someone driving away with my nice truck.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
BACK IN DFW!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiGBlazer View Post

I would also recommend adding the high idle feature to this, so that whenever the switch is pushed it goes into high idle. It is really important not to run diesels at low idle for long periods of time.
i didnt know that.... why is this?

[url]www.socaldiesel.com/[/]
chopper817 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Diesels have an incomplete combustion at low idle. They basically use as little fuel as possible to keep the engine running. This causes accelerated cylinder wear as well as cylinder wash down. With cylinder wash down fuel also gets into the oil.

They came a long way when the common rail injection systems came about, especially when they started using pre-injections to quiet the idle. But they didn't solve the problem completely. In larger class 8 older trucks they would actually die if idled too long. The cylinders would get so washed down that they would not seal well enough to create combustion. Once that happened they would be almost impossible to restart unless you re-lubed the cylinders. That is why all trucks sitting overnight would bump the idle up to at least 800 rpm. It would be just enough to get a complete combustion. The newer class 8 trucks come factory with a high idle switch. Many newer ones even come with a built in automatic high idle that would raise the idle if it sat for 1 min idling.

I think there were more problems, but it's been almost 10 years since college and my memory stinks. I just remember it being very important not to let a diesel sit at low idle for long periods.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
BACK IN DFW!

oh wow thanks....
ive slept in my truck many times on road trips with it idoling the entire time i was sleeping....hahaha... oops

[url]www.socaldiesel.com/[/]
chopper817 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Just finished installing the Ignition Override with High Idle Mod. Push the button the RPMs jump up to 800 and you can take the key out and it still runs. Press Set on the cruise control RPMs jump up to around 1250. Press Resume and RPMs jump up to 1700.

I did change how I hooked it up. I used the power feeds going to the IGN switch instead of running new wires. I also ran power to my momentary switch from one of the IGN output wires.

I attached the new Wiring Diagram along with a pic of my relays once they were all wired in, and a pic of it in action once finished and put away. You can see my button behind the shifter, no key in the ignition, and the RPMs at 1700.

Didn't take too long to install, just a lot of soldering and a roll of electrical tape.

Almost forgot, it all stops when the brake pedal is pressed. It can be used as just a high idle switch that will disable when you hit the brakes, or as an Ignition override that if the brake pedal is hit before the key is turned back on it shuts everything off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ign Override Active.JPG (160.6 KB, 1349 views)
File Type: jpg Relays Wired Up.JPG (172.4 KB, 1344 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ign Override Mod.pdf (259.9 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by ZiGBlazer; 10-21-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I used the override a couple times yesterday, worked great. RPMs jump to 800 and I can take the key out and lock the doors. No problems. Get back in and just have to remember to put the key back in and turn it on, or it shuts off on you when you hit the brake. I remember having that problem with my wife's van when I used the remote start.

Also forgot to put what I have into it. Total install time was 3 hours. Total cost was $50 including the expensive ECM pins, $12 for 2 pins, shipping sucks for them.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Definitely a good write up! Ive been thinking of doing a remote start, but this seems to be the way to go. Plus i love the fact of high idle.
RCLB06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

It is really actually very simple, just a bunch of slow soldering. You only have to tap into 7 wires on the truck and 6 are behind the metal plate under the steering column and the 7th is above the brake pedal. Then for the high idle you only run 1 wire under the hood and split it up to 2 ECM pins.

If you don't have an ECM terminal crimper, I would find someone who sells the terminals already crimped to a piece of wire. I've seen several on the forum who sell the terminals, cheaper than I got them for, already crimped to 4" of wire.

Let me know if you have any questions.

As for other years, I can look up the terminals for high idle easily and post them if any one is interested, otherwise I'm sure the Ign wires are the same.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Hey ZiGBlazer. I have a 2004 LLY Duramax. What terminals do I need to know to perform this on my model truck? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.