Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015.5 Tow Mirror Conversion For Older Body Styles

152K views 260 replies 76 participants last post by  SUTHERN 
#1 ·
Since there is so much discussion i figured i would do a write up on how to switch em over. Im limited on pics so i will do my best to talk through it.

**The power-fold option i do not think will work because the motor mounts in the base (which is why the bases are bigger) but my truck was not powerfold to begin with so it did not hurt my feelings any.**

you need both sets of towing mirrors (OE for your model truck and the new ones). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WIRING HARNESS FOR YOUR MODEL TRUCK FOR THIS TO WORK PROPERLY.

completely disassemble both sets of mirrors removing all of the glass and plastic off the mirror and rails. Remove the snap ring on the lower rail, Then slide the mirrors off the rails.

Next you need to take the old base and rails and cut about 1/2 in off of the bottom rail and later cut and notch it where the mirror will not come completely off. This is because the mirror will not fully push in if you dont.

Disassemble instructions:
Old:
How to disassemble 06+ towing mirrors - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
New:
2015+ Power Fold Tow Mirror Disassemble for Paint | Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com

Now that you have the plastic slide ons from your new mirror put the top one on over the older style base (ie just snap it back together). for the bottom it gets a little tricky... i do not have adequate pictures of this so i am borrowing some from LAchevy so photo creds go to him in a few of these...

You need to trim just enough off of the raised lip to give you proper clearance without trimming too much where there is a noticeble gap. i trimmed maybe an 1/8in off (not as much as the pic below) with a dremel, but this was trial and error putting on and taking off as i went. Results may be different with each old style base. After this is done and where you like it the new mirror should just slide right on.

That's the real modification necessary... Now here is where it gets fun, the wiring...

If you remember from here... http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/384185-led-mirror-lights.html

before i start i cut the stock harness inside the mirror glass (giving adequate length for the telescoping part and adjusted the new wires in the new mirror accordingly where everything tied together behind the glass. I never took the original bases off of my truck but you will need to in order to run the extra wires for the reverse lights and the amber lights.

i already ran wires for my previous mirror lights so it was easy just splicing the new amber LED clearance lights into this wire... If you just have stock mirrors you can see in the other writeup how i ran the wires for the clearance lights. you will also have to run a wire for the LED reverse lights. All that is needed is a hot wire as everything is grounded inside the mirror. The rest of the wiring is just a matter of matching colors and splicing together into the old harness. I spliced everything behind the mirror glass. into the old harness. the only extra wires you are going to have is a yellow (for the reverse LED's and orange for the clearance lights). It makes it easier too to reuse your mirror defrost leads that way it minimizes cutting and splicing.

Here is a list of colors on the mirror and what they connect to. Splicing may vary for anything older than 2011.
Mirror Motor (Passenger)
White connect to same OEM color
Grey connect to same OEM color
Orange/Black/ connect to same OEM color
Driver Side
Blue/White same color
Grey/White same color
White same color

LED turn signal
Red/Black connected to OEM flasher brown
Black/White connected to OEM flasher blue/white

Clearance Lights
Orange connected to aux wire coming from fuse

LED Reverse Lights
Yellow connected to aux wire

Defrost
Both Black Wires

and everything is grounded together at the LED turn signal

now for the turn signal in the glass you need to reverse the polarity of the wires. ie switch the wire orientation in the plug socket that plugs into the back of the glass (i guess the new models have a reverse polarity on their flashers.)

After all of this reassemble the mirrors and you should have a fuly functional new style tow mirror.

i will add pics as i can find them but this should get you started. Also your amber clearance lights will also flash with the turn signal which is also something else different. PM me for any questions! :drink :neener

I will edit if i think of anything else to help yall out. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
sub-a-dub-dub for later :neener . thanks for taking time to do a write up!

#10 ·
im sure it could be done if you could figure out how to increase the size of the base plate plastic.

#12 ·
@808_max

#15 ·
Yes I'm also curious I think I'll wait till someone else buys them first haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
Amazon is normally pretty good my only worry is the quality and I don't think they have all the options of the real mirrors like power folding and heat but I'm not sure I'm sure before long high quality mirrors like this will hit the market.... I would love to do the mod with the real mirrors I don't don't think I have the guts to start hacking away at 1000$ in mirrors lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
If you buy those "conversion" mirrors off Amazon with PayPal you'll be covered for sure. Just file a claim and all that. Even though that's a pain to wait and all that

#22 ·
the nonpowerfold type mirrors should be around $550-600, powerfold option is $1000-1200. i got mine from a fellow member on here upgrading his to powerfold. That amazon price seems awfully low to be legit and have all the functions. It could be a base with manual everything and no blinker, heater, etc...

#26 ·
Subd. Figured it'd work.

#28 ·
#29 ·
something seems funny about this... I dont get how a $1000 mirror somehow just dropped to $250... but hey someone try it and let us know!

#30 ·
Wellllll....I bit the bullet and am gonna try things out.

Thanks to Tyler (dirtymaxxx03) for texting me and convincing me to order them. I guess we will see how everything is gonna turn out! I'll be sure to keep you posted on what kind of product I get...if I even get one lol.

Decided to order off eBay instead of Amazon. I've always preferred eBay for some reason. It says I'll get them December 11.

Attachments

#31 ·
Ok so I figured time to post this up.

I did a Gm 2015.5 OEM Mirror swap onto my 2010 Sierra.

As of now the OP's DIY is fine, for 2011+.

What I have experienced is that the polarity on the vertical mirror adjustment is reversed on my 2010 vs the 2015.5 motor. This can only be "reversed" at the motor within the motor itself. You can't just switch the leads at the door as the common also is used by the horizontal adjuster and would cause things to go haywire.

I am going to try and swap the motors out of my 2010 and see if that will fix it. Ill follow up once I get a chance.

So bottom line, I would be concerned that this would cause a problem for us 2010 and older guys unless you have donor motors and IF the swap works.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Don't know what the deal is, these are just aftermarket knock offs, hopefully there made by same companies and makes the OEM's but who knows ? They are not power folding and have somewhat less working options but look nice and will bolt on I imagine

#38 · (Edited)
The older trucks dont have an option for power fold so thats fine lol, im more into it for the marker light, and the design of them.

Keep us updated on how the Amazon/Ebay mirrors are! Make sure to post up pictures and such, definitely a mod i want to do! :drink

#35 ·
Subd been waiting to see a thread like this this is one of my biggest wants right now

#36 ·
subd!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.