Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015.5 Tow Mirrrors for '03-'07 Classic Body Style

67K views 139 replies 56 participants last post by  Itsme7 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been viewing a few threads regarding this topic and found some aftermarket tow mirrors to mount on my '07 classic GMC. These are what I bought, but via eBay.

Now, these mirrors will bolt up and the stock wiring will work, but the LED's will only function as turn signals. The rear facing lights on the mirror come with wires you need to run into the cab to get power to them. I wanted to make the forward facing turn signals dual function, so to do that you need to take the mirrors apart. So, if you're in a cold environment, I would bring the mirrors inside. You have to carefully pull the lower mirror off first, and then carefully pry the upper mirror off.

My screwdriver is pointing to one of 4 sets of tabs that hold the mirror on. Again, be careful, I broke a couple tabs off of each mirror taking them off. I used 2 part epoxy to reattach them. This is what you will see now.

There are 4 screws you need to remove now. Here's a little closer pic of them.

Here's what it will look like once you take the screws out and move this part out of the way. I unplugged the wires running to the clear back up LED's to let this part rest on the counter top like this.

Now, you will be able to see the wires going to the forward facing LED's. There is a blue wire (power) and a white wire (ground.) Just unplug it so it's easier to work with. You will be splicing in to the blue wire. At this point, I wired up my resistor and diodes, and ran the new clearance light power wire into the mirror. You need to extend the mirror to be able to do this better. You'll be prying the top of the upper arm off to reveal the existing wire loom. Then you'll run your new wire along this. Here is where I pried the plastic to get it open.

Once you get it off you'll see where to route your wire. Mine is a red wire.

Now we can wire in the resistors and diodes. I used a 470 ohm resistor to reduce the light intensity for the clearance lights. Then, a diode is wired into each power wire (clearance light power and existing turn signal power.) The diodes only allow electricity to flow one way which keeps power from backfeeding into the circuits. I purchased my resistors and diodes at Radio Shack. They are 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistors and 1/2 watt diodes. I believe the diode number is 1n4001. Here is a pic of the setup.

The single wire from the resistor/diode setup goes to the blue wire which powers the LED's. The wire attached to the resistor is soldered to the new clearance light power wire you just ran into the mirror (this powers the LED's at a reduced intensity via the resistor.) The other leg of the setup with only a diode is soldered to the existing power supply wire for the turn signals.

I didn't get any pics of that step. Now, you can put the mirror together and do the same thing for the other mirror. Then mount them on the truck and run new clearance light power wire along with the included reverse light wires into the truck cab. There are some good videos on how to remove the door panel and run wires into the the cab that you can find on YouTube.

I pulled power from the reverse light wire (light green) in the BCM in the driver's side footwell.

Here you can see the red wire tap I used to get power from the reverse lights.

Then find an appropriate ground. I ran the passenger side mirror reverse light wiring up under the dash to the driver's side. I then ran the driver's side mirror clearance light power wire to the passenger side of the truck. I didn't take any pics for this as this is easy but time consuming so the wires are up out of the way. I pulled power for the clearance lights from here.

This is the right side BEC. Its on the right side of the dash. The panel cover pulls off just like fuse panel cover opens on the drivers side. I found this to wire up the cab clearance lights I added a couple weeks ago. Your looking for the green connector. There are six possible wiring locations in two columns of three. In the right side column as your looking at the back of the connector, the middle wire or lug is power for the clearance lights. Obviously, double check this and the reverse power wire with a 12v test light to confirm you're on the right circuit. Tap into this and attach your clearance light power wires and your done. Button everything up and enjoy your new style mirrors. Here is a before and after with mine.

And, here's a video of how they work.

https://youtu.be/QpZiM2X3WhE

Good luck!

'07 GMC LBZ CCSB

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Thanks for the writeup! Ill definitely be using it this spring when i get my hands on a set of these.

#15 ·
Are these the new ones that fold in? I've been anxious to see if anyone tries to make the folding ones work on the older trucks. Mine originally came with the small folding mirrors before I upgraded to the towing mirrors. I can't see why the folding function wouldn't work if I were to get my hands on some new ones!

#24 ·
@Jd4230 Well, it's been a long week but I finally got everything buttoned up yesterday afternoon! Thank you so much for your original post and guidance along the way. I hope my diagram will help the next guy!

Guys, if you are going to attempt this swap I highly recommend taking your time inside the cab. Make sure you give yourself enough wire to run the driver's side power wire across to the passenger side BEC. If you have stock cab clearance lights like me, I can confirm that wire is Brown.

Here are some quick pics and a video I uploaded to youtube. Enjoy and GET AFTER IT!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyykOKX8xNg

#27 ·
I just saw someone in ky drive by in a classic with these mirrors. I like them but would want to possibly match the outside Amber bulbs to my all white led set up. I currently run Philips hid's high/low/fog and have blacked out white led recon cab lights that are the dodge style. I'm trying to get the whole front end to be just white lights if you get what I'm saying. Can the bulbs be taken out possibly 194's?...

Attachments

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.