How To: Transgo JR Shift Kit Install Allison 6 Speed - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

How To: Transgo JR Shift Kit Install Allison 6 Speed

I might not have time to do the full write up right now but I will get the pictures posted for now. If this is already in here let me know and I will get it deleted.
Also there is a write up here but with no pics
Tips/Tricks For Transgo Jr.

Here are a few of someone elses pics
Transgo install pics!

The VB gets torqued to 111 inch pounds and 18 FT. LBS on the pan.(According to Mike L so it is right)
The picture of the valve body off of the truck is with all of the bolts installed that can be installed on the bench. So for removing it from the truck you need to take out all the bolts that are not installed in the picture. Also leave a couple of bolts partially installed so you do not drop your valve, that would be bad.
Once you have the valve down the instructions that are included with the kit will get you through the instillation of the shift kit.

When you put the valve back into the truck make sure that you get the little pin back into its track on the shift arm you can see it at the top of the first picture its on the back left side of the valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070005.jpg (90.2 KB, 7910 views)
File Type: jpg P1070007.jpg (81.6 KB, 7790 views)
File Type: jpg P1070011.jpg (101.1 KB, 7741 views)
2008 LMM EFI Live by Nick, Transgo jr., Diamond Eye Quiet Exhaust with Quiet Tone Front Pipe, Big Blue Converter, Blocked EGR, Fass 150 lift, ITBC bypass, Heated Windshield Fluid CCLB Dually LTZ, Sulastics, Bilstein rear shocks, For Sale
162,000 miles
2004 LLY RCLB 4x4 80,000 miles bone stock oil every 3k SOLD
2011 Chevy RCLB 4x4 LML 3500HD SOLD
2013 GMC CCSB 4x4 LML 3500HD
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/new-here-please-read/
rascal810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Ok now I will start on the instruction.
NOTE all of the black bolts are the same length and all of the silver bolts are the same length except the really short silver ones and its all self explanatory
1. drain all of the fluid that will drain from transmission thought drain plug 15mm
2. drop pan the bolts have a 13mm head be careful because there is more fluid in it then what you would expect and the filter might fall on you
3. remove and discard old filter and its o ring that might stick into housing
4. Disconnect all electrical connectors(shown in picture above)
5. There are two clips that hold the wiring harness up to the housing, remove them then put them back in so you dont loose your shift solenoids.
6. Remove the bolts that need to be removed from the valve body (picture of Valve Body on bench where it has the bolts in it shows what can stay for removing it from transmission) and leave a few finger tight so you do not drop it Do not remove the third bolt from the hold in plate for the shift solenoids on the back left corner(its silver the other two are black) all bolts have 8mm head
7. Carefully remove valve body from transmission take note of how the pin on the back left corner rides in a track on the shift linkage, remember for later.
2008 LMM EFI Live by Nick, Transgo jr., Diamond Eye Quiet Exhaust with Quiet Tone Front Pipe, Big Blue Converter, Blocked EGR, Fass 150 lift, ITBC bypass, Heated Windshield Fluid CCLB Dually LTZ, Sulastics, Bilstein rear shocks, For Sale
162,000 miles
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Got a minute here again will see if I can finish this...
Follow the transgo instructions to install shift kit into VB, once done put all of the bolts back in that thread into the valvebody, snug for now do not torque yet.

Take VB and carefully install it onto bottom of trans, make sure that you put the pin back where it came from in the shift cam thingy, you may have to put trans into neutral to make it easier to install

Thread bolts back where they belong and make sure that VB goes up flush to transmission and does not get wedged on any of the corners, once its in place and you are sure it isnt up there crooked began to tighten bolts. I worked in a 3 stage pattern from the inside towards the outside until all bolts are tightened MikeL may chime in if I screwed this up too bad.....

Now that all bolts are tight plug all of the electrical connectors in, make sure that you hook up the one that is above all the others on the back right corner and hold the solenoids in while you pull the little clips out to put the harness back where it came from, it will make sense while you are doing it

continued on later date........
162,000 miles

Last edited by rascal810; 02-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Lets try to finish this again....

Now that all of the wires are plugged in, all the bolts torqued move the shifter through all of the gears(DO NOT START TRUCK) to make sure that you installed the VB correctly. Now install the suction pan make sure that you got the little o-ring out of the hole in the trans and make sure the new filter/suction pan has one on it. You may want to coat it in oil so it slides in nicely.

Now reinstall the pan, clean the little magnet off thats on the pan first and clean the old seal off. Torque bolts to 18 ft lbs. and replace spin on filter. Be sure to put magnet back onto new filter. Fill transmission full of fluid and if you want to you can do a flush right now also.

To flush pull return line off of trans(slide plastic outer clip back then very carefully slide clip off) and put a hose over the top of then end of the line and then run the end of it into a pan. Start truck and run some of the fluid out into pan I ran just under a QT out at a time so that I didnt run it dry. Once you feel you have flushed enough out put the line back on trans, reinstall clip and slide sleeve back on.

Now fill trans and check as specified in manual.

Done
162,000 miles
Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Wreckin' Shop
Supporting Member

good job. thank you for taking the time to do this, many will benefit
Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Did you.. Set your trans to Fast Learn after install?

Thanks!
O_Poole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Poole View Post
Did you.. Set your trans to Fast Learn after install?

Thanks!
No I didn't it's not nessasary but if you want to you can. With efilive you reset tasps.
162,000 miles
Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Just got done doin my TJ kit. Wow. Is it supposed to downshift as hard as upshit? Sometimes harder. Also been drivin it for a while. Lots of starting and stopping. Various pedal positions. Seems kinda hard on the driveshaft, U joints, and transfer-case. Should I be concerned? Guess I'll have to get used to it. Also when I put it in drive, and reverse, it kinda lunges. Need a firm foot on the brake.

Fixed it. Use something on the check balls, and springs. That was my issue. Now it shifts fine. :booboo
'07 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4X4 - PPE AB mod w/Donaldson, 285/75 R16 BFG KO's, Leveling kit, Bilstein Silvers, Edge Evo on #3, 4" MBRP aluminized, & Banks Boost Tube, Amsoil w/bypass filter, Air bags, Transgo Jr.

Last edited by tinman760; 06-21-2011 at 12:53 PM.
tinman760 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman760 View Post
Fixed it. Use something on the check balls, and springs. That was my issue. Now it shifts fine. :booboo
What do you mean by "use something"? You mean like vasaline to hold them in or what? What did you have to do to fix yours?

I am about to do mine next week so I am just making sure I have all the info I can get.
My truck- 2006 Chevy 2500HD LT3 CCSB 4x4 LBZ, EFI Live V2 w/ DSP 5 by Rob, Edge Insight CTS, EGT probe, Transgo Jr kit, 5" Diamond Eye exhaust w/ 6" stainless tip, plugged resignator, EGR blocked, Fiberglass dual ram air hood, Goodyear Duratrac AT 285/75/16's, American Outlaw Buskshot Chrome wheels, towing mirrors, LineX bedliner, Reese 16K 5th wheel hitch, gooseneck hitch, B&W 3 ball hitch,Tekonsha P3 brake controller.
In tow- Comercial hauling of boats and RV's, own: 28ft Bayliner Ciera Express, 18ft utility trailer, 14ft enclosed trailer, and 33ft 5th Wheel Cameo by Carriage RV.
Winter time- Fisher HD 8ft plow and 2000+ lbs of salt
Swatcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I used vasoline on the check balls and springs to keep them in place when re-installing, worked great.
Transgo JR, EGR blocked, PCV re-routed, M/A pump rub, DDM 5k low/hi & 3k fogs
kylez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.