Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

What's clunking in the steering column?

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  LMLGMC 
#1 ·
Some months back I replaced the intermediate steering shaft, and the green bushing. That helped a lot, it got rid of the squeaking noise I got every time I hit a few small bumps.

Now when I hit the same type of bumps I get a similar sounding "clunk", muted, but it's there in the steering. I can feel it as much as hear it.

Is there something in the steering wheel area that could be worn also (above the bushing I replaced)? I have no idea how to pull the wheel, and the air bag kinda gives me the creeps. Ignorance is fear, ya know.

#2 ·
Pulling the wheel is easy. On the side of the wheel you'll notice two holes stick something small in both at the same time and the airbag comes out then disconnect the plug for it. Then loosen the nut in the center but don't remove it. Use a steering wheel pulled rented from the parts store and pull it. It'll pop and the nut you left on 2/3 turns will keep it from flying off.

For your clunk I'm not sure as far as I know you replaced both parts that can cause it. Try a hose clamp around the green bushing first?

#3 ·
Yea I can try that (the clamp), never thought I would need it with a new one, but might be a little sloppy.

Like, what kind of "something small"? Screwdriver?

#4 ·
I will only pull it if I find out something is in there that could cause it, and the clamp does not fix it. Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
I agree, always good to know hot to do things, just in case. Will do the clamp today and report back when I drive it next. It's hard to make it do the little clunk, when I am trying.

#8 ·
OK happy camper again. The hose clamp fixed it. Makes me a little annoyed that I did the bearing replacement before. I tried the hose clamp before and it solved the clunk, so I figured the bearing and shaft would be a permanent fix. In the words of Trump, "Wrong". :)

#9 ·
I'm having this same issue. My question is where do I look for the bushing? I attempted to locate it tonight but it was dark and didn't have much time to mess with it. Thanks for the help of pointing me in the right direction. Mine is an 05 if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I do not have pics but it's in the steering column just before it goes through the firewall, on the INSIDE of the truck, not under the hood. The intermediate shaft comes in through the firewall and into the steering column. The bushing is between the shaft and column. My factory one was white, and all you see is the outer ring. Do a search on steering column bushing and you should see some good writeups on it here.

That was how I got started.

I won't say it's easy, but it isn't fun thats ror sure.

Reactions: redneckcowboy28
#11 ·
That's good to know. I've felt the same in mine over the last six months. Annoying enough to want to check it out while driving, but not enough to remember to check it out when I'm at the houseDunce:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post what I find out with mine.

#12 ·
I hit all nine grease fittings on my LML and now my clunk is gone. I may have had a similar but different issue, but that def helped!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.