How To: Thermostat R&R - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How To: Thermostat R&R

How to remove and replace your thermostats. This was done on my '02 LB7 after my Attitude monitor never would get above 145* under normal driving conditions. I soon found out why. Now she runs at 180*-187* with some play time thrown in and my mpg's has actually improved as well. This was my first time on a diesel so bear with me haha.

What you will need:

Ratchett
3" extension (I used a 6. It was easier)
12mm socket
1gal of coolant
About 25 minutes.

Step 1: Remove resonator (big black plastic thing that says duramax 6.6 on it)

Step 2: Locate thermostat housing. It's towards the front of the motor in the middle. Real easy to get to.

Step 3: Remove these bolts.

I ended up taking the back one and front bleeder off which in the end wasnt necessary.

Step 4: Remove 2 bolts holding radiator hose in place. The green circle is a hidden bolt on the other side under the plug-in wires.

Step 5: Lift the top of the housing out of the way so that you can change the thermostats out. PLEASE DONT GET THESE MIXED UP. As you can see, I just set mine up on the closest bolt.

Swap the stats out and do everything in the reverse order to put it back together. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN BOLTS. Not sure what the torque specs are
but if its not leaking, its tight enough.

Fill to the proper level with coolant and let the motor idle to operating temp. Run it down the road and back if you want. Let it cool. If you have air in the system, unscrew the bleeder screw a little bit til fluid comes out and squeeze on the hose. Check the fluid again, add if necessary.

Sorry this is so shitty, but I've had the flu the past week and was running a temp when I was doing this. If you have any questions, feel free to ask someone else who can better answer them for you. Good day...
-CW
|4.5" on 34's|18" Moto Metal 961's|PPE 160 Tune|S&B CAI|5" Straight Pipe w/ 7" Tip|Ported/Polished Intake Horn|PPE BIV|PPE CP3 Fitting|Autometer Cobalt Boost/Pyro|Sleeves|Bushwackers|Kenwood 2xDin|Headrest DVDs|Boston Components|10's, JL 500/1 & 300/4|Black Halo Projectors w/ 6k/8k HIDs|Billet Grille|5% Tint|'03+ LED Tail Lights|Clifford Security System|Valentine One
BoostJunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

nice write up!
Donovan
Gamertag: dirtymax01
SYNTHETIC MOTORSPORTS
Chevy*tough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy*tough View Post
nice write up!
Yeah I forgot the part about checking the dump tank and adding more fluid a day or 2 later if it needs it. Everything worked fine though. No leaks or problems and fuel mileage is showing it's running more efficiently.
|4.5" on 34's|18" Moto Metal 961's|PPE 160 Tune|S&B CAI|5" Straight Pipe w/ 7" Tip|Ported/Polished Intake Horn|PPE BIV|PPE CP3 Fitting|Autometer Cobalt Boost/Pyro|Sleeves|Bushwackers|Kenwood 2xDin|Headrest DVDs|Boston Components|10's, JL 500/1 & 300/4|Black Halo Projectors w/ 6k/8k HIDs|Billet Grille|5% Tint|'03+ LED Tail Lights|Clifford Security System|Valentine One
BoostJunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks for the info....
LBZ mouthpiece upgrade, BD Exhaust, MBRP DP, Banks Ram-Air with SuperScoop ,4" SS Corsa Exhaust System w/gutted kitty, Amsoil Dual Oil Bypass Filtration, Aux Radiator (Engineer 837) installed, Firestone Air Bags, Allison extra capacity Tranny pan, MagHytec Rear Diff Cover, Synthetic Fluids ...Mike L tranny cooler) 2008 Towing Mirrors with Leveling MOD, PCV reroute, Fumoto Valve, Mad Jacks fuel fiter access door. Running 2% BioDiesel with Optilube XPD,TTS dual lift pumps with Nictane Aux Fuel Filtration. EFI (Tuned ECM from Duramaxtuner) Edge Insight CTS to control the tunes
And the best part of all, no payments and title in hand
1953drtelco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunky View Post
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN BOLTS. Not sure what the torque specs are but if its not leaking, its tight enough.

Good writeup for sure. I just had to change out mine (temp stayed around 160 degrees on the highway).
It definitely made a difference in my MPG after too so if your engine isn't getting up to temp, replace them both.

The torque on the Thermostat Cover Bolts is 18 ft-lbs
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 12-10-2011 at 09:56 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks, a few questions though,
1) how long did it take you? and
2) are the 2 thermostats the same PN or are they different?
I think that have to do mine this spring, as the coolant temp sometimes climbs up to 115 on a hill ( hot summer day) , then drops back to 100 ( when still climbing). Seems like one may be sticky?

Don
S&B Cold Air intake
Diesel Don is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

sub'd
04.5 LLY Chevy CC/SB LT 4x4 Olympic White 225k | RDL downpipe, RDL egr delete pipe, modified uppipe, pcv reroute w/ catch can, lbz mouthpiece, lml manifold, banks ram air intake, 4" exhaust, colormatched tow mirrors, ranch hand front bumper, nbs rear bumper, demolded, debadged, shimmed fprv, ppe high idle, tie rod sleeves | Coming soon: (just have to order it actually) efi live, air dog 2 165, hellman fuel sump |
04.5 LLY Chevy CC/SB LT 4x4 Silver Birch Metallic (~210K) RIP Dec 2013
DirtyPower04.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Don View Post
I think that have to do mine this spring, as the coolant temp sometimes climbs up to 115 on a hill ( hot summer day) , then drops back to 100 ( when still climbing). Seems like one may be sticky?

Don
Theyre definitely two different stats. I believe one is a 180*F and the other is 185*F

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that...
ieetgluu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Don View Post

Don

Don, just a few things that might help.

1) Longest part is refilling and bleeding the cooling system (make sure to use the bolt on the thermostat housing to bleed any air out)
2) Definitely 2 different thermostats, one is 80C and the other is 85C (they are metric temps)

Make sure you look into a better tranny cooler (PPE or Mike L work very well) as it helps remove load from the cooling system too.

This video should help too.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 02-05-2013 at 04:58 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Great write ups and video too guys....thanks this is a help.

Is there a specific replacement cycle for these thermostats or is it a preventative measure for the most part. It sounds as though when they fail they remain open from one of the posts above?

Stock for now but looking for ideas
ppaintguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.