Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How to: 2016 Silverado D2S 4.0 HID retrofit.

30K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  w33m4n 
#1 · (Edited)
You can go from the top picture (before) to the bottom picture (after).
Due to photobucket rules on 3rd party hosting, I am not about to pay $399 to host this howto with pics.
I have this mod in a PDF with all pictures and information found here.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: FLTtest25
#2 · (Edited)
reserved

#3 · (Edited)
reserved

#4 · (Edited)
reserved

#5 · (Edited)
Reserved

#13 ·
Great write up!!

#14 ·
...anybody know the best way to get hold of these guys? I've sent a PM today and called the phone number on their facebook page, havent been able to speak with them yet.

#15 ·
Im not familiar with the company the OP got his stuff from but the most popular HID/Retrofit place is theretrofitsource.com. I actually called and spoke with them today and put in an order online. There customer service is phenomenal. Check em out! I've bought multiple projectors from parts from them

#19 ·
Talked to Michael this morning. He is waiting on a shipment to come in tomorrow to test fit the new bracket on a truck by the end of this week that does away with the cutting and hacking, and also the washers. I'm going to order the projector w/ brackets, y-splitters and bulbs from him since I already have everything else installed.

Audiomixer, how do you like the UPS bulbs? Michael recommended these in 5700K over Morimoto Bulbs for reasons of color uniformity (which I've never had an issue with on at least 3 vehicles). I've never heard of them.

#20 ·
Those bulbs I got from Michael are the 35w 4300k variety. They are white! I am not a fan of bluish lighting and possibly the 5700k would lean in that direction. Since much of my driving is out in the dark country side such as the Nevada high desert, he recommended I go 4300k since he thought that that light temperature would be less fatiguing after hours behind the wheel. A good call on his part. I have zero complaints and would not change what I ended up with.
Check with @TDavis1992 who did a retrofit using the 55w 5700k bulb. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/1...iscussion/825025-2015-silverado-retrofit.html

#22 ·
I just did a long write-up/review (45mins of my life just wasted)to add to this already good thread but it was all lost when I clicked post and got the security token message. Oh well, POS. Short story, Michael was good to work with, upgrade was worth it. Brackets are good to go.

Pic of hardware/brackets mocked up (use red Loctite and lock washers!!):

#23 ·
#25 ·
Yep, I've never seen it before. Said something about an invalid "Security Token". If I get it again I'll copy and paste it in a message to you.

#24 ·
Wow, that is too bad. I've learned long ago to write something lengthy you want to post in your favorite editor, then copy/paste. I got tried of inventing new expletives lol.
Hope you like the new light. Did you go 35 or 55 and 4300 or 5700?

#26 ·
Yep that's a good piece of advice. It would actually be faster too, the forums have so many adds these days of worthless shit it just makes the browser crawl and I'm on a new computer. Oh well, lesson learned. I'll re-write it in a couple of days when I find the time, I just added a few more details with the new hardware, you and TDavis already covered everything else.

I was already running the XB55 Kit from TRS in the stock projectors, so all I did was add the D2S 4.0 projectors w/ hardware, and new UPS 5700k bulbs, everything else was already setup.

#28 ·
Should be much easier then when I did it. I know you won't be disappointed with the outcome.

Reactions: TDavis1992
#32 ·
The beauty with this kit is that the wiring is all just plug and play. If I can do it....

#34 ·
What are you guys doing for your day time running lights? I don't want to disable them and lose my automatic light control but during daylight hours i always turn the knob to running lights anyways, do you think that's good enough?

#35 ·
#38 ·
So now that you've had them going for a while, how do you like them?

#42 ·
That is my understanding. Not sure on the differences between the 2014 1500 headlight and the 2016 2500HD headlight though. Might ask Michael on that to be sure.

#43 ·
I started my retrofit but something is off with how the new projectors (D2S) are sitting in the headlight housing. For anybody who has done this can you snap a pic of how far back your new lenses sit in the housing compared to stock? My brackets had delivered spacers all of equal depth which are definitely longer than the washer bolt method in the pics. But even taking that into consideration the light just sits too far back, I can see a gap between the lens into the housing... Help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.