How To: Alligator Tranny Cooler hoses Kit Install - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
How To's, DIY and Write ups DuramaxForum How To's, Do it Yourself Guides, and other write ups. Only How TO post belong in this forum!!! If your NOT showing/telling us HOW TO then DO NOT post it here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How To: Alligator Tranny Cooler hoses Kit Install

Let me first say there are real nice quality other kits on the market but I think this one is unique and so far I really like it.

Out of the box the kit looks like this.

As usual you have to start somewhere and I started by removing the grille. On the GMC there is one bolt and six snaps that hold it on. But first remove the cover taking off the 6-8 plastic snap pin retainers off and the bolt for the grill.

Next pop the two snaps on the outer ends of the grille both sides and then the four main snaps then lift out. Kinda looks like this after you get the grille off.

I then removed the air filter box, the plate under it, the bracket under that, and the CAC (Charged Air Cooler/Intercooler) hose on the discharge side of the CAC so you will have access to the hoses and fitting going into the radiator trans cooler.

Next I removed the cooler lines from the transmission. Remove the black caps and then use a blade screwdriver to remove the clips holding the aluminum hoses into the fitting and then pull the hose out.

I had a problem removing the upper line return from the cooler as I have the DE Down pipe and DE QT Turbo back 4Ē exhaust and the upper line needed another 3/8Ē or so of clearance to remove. So it seemed the easiest thing to try was to remove the fitting in the transmission. A 32 mm wrench worked fine but maybe a slightly smaller one or US size might have been better. A friend told me that is was a 1 1/4" size. Anyway, I backed the fitting out and was able to move the line around and get the fitting and line loose. Side bar, have a drain catch available of fluid residue in the line and lines to be broken. I also removed the supply connection quick fitting at the same time.

More Later
07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 94K mi, Edge Evo Race w/cts, EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, Helmholtz Plug, DE DP, DEQT 4" TB Exh, TGo Jr, Allison D Pan, Suncoast FL, PPE Airbox Mod, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, Undercover Tonnau, H2 Wheels, 285 Tera Graps, Fab 4 Rear Bump, WT SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Nuvi 2797, Pintle Hook, PPE TR sleeves, Cog. Pit/Id Arm Braces, Amsoil DB Filters, Prodigy P-3, Alligator TC Lines, MA TC Brace
06 Jetta 1.9L TDI,DSG, RC 1+ tune,EGR Delete, M101A2 3/4 ton trailer,NRA Benefactor Member
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. ' - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by jc1843; 04-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Marauderer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Next I removed the lines from the transmission cooler and the threaded fittings also. Be careful when loosening the fittings as the aluminum cooler is very soft and a counter torque is necessary to prevent twisting the ends of the cooler. Also there could be additional fluid drainage from the fittings at the cooler and the other ends at the transmission. Did I mention that I donít like loose transmission fluid. It can get real messy. The fitting that you use in the trans cooler are the 90* short fittings.

Now I replaced one line at a time and the first one I did was the outlet of the trans cooler back to the transmission (upper one). The fittings in the transmission, radiator cooler, and transmission cooler I left loose and after hooking up the hoses I did the final alignment and then tightened the fitting both the hose and the threaded body fittings. When removing the old lines I cut the flex hose and they came out so much easier with no hassle. After I replaced the return hose I removed the old and then replaced the outlet of the radiator to the transmission cooler line (straight fitting on one end and a 90* fitting on the other). I left all hose and cooler/trans fittings loose until the final alignment (after all hoses installed). And last I removed an replaced the outlet of the transmission to the Radiator Trans cooler line. I ended up removing the outlet of the radiator to trans cooler line at the radiator so I could get the lower radiator cooler line installed and after I got it final installed (all fittings tight) I reinstalled the CAC to ENG hose and then did the upper radiator fitting alignment and tightened.

I then went to the inlet of the trans cooler and did the final tightening of these fittings (2). Remember to use a wrench to counter torque your tightening so you donít bend and/or distort the trans cooler.

More Later,
07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 94K mi, Edge Evo Race w/cts, EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, Helmholtz Plug, DE DP, DEQT 4" TB Exh, TGo Jr, Allison D Pan, Suncoast FL, PPE Airbox Mod, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, Undercover Tonnau, H2 Wheels, 285 Tera Graps, Fab 4 Rear Bump, WT SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Nuvi 2797, Pintle Hook, PPE TR sleeves, Cog. Pit/Id Arm Braces, Amsoil DB Filters, Prodigy P-3, Alligator TC Lines, MA TC Brace
06 Jetta 1.9L TDI,DSG, RC 1+ tune,EGR Delete, M101A2 3/4 ton trailer,NRA Benefactor Member
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. ' - Ronald Reagan
Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

awesome write up so far man. looks great

ADAM
04 LB7, EFI LIVE by Rob, Edge Insight CTS, AD 165, Banks Ram Air Intake, MBRP 4-7" Single Stack, Banks Big Head Wastegate, PPE Boost Valve, Mouthpiece Mod, Leveled, Braced, and Sleeved, Tow Mirrors, Yakima Rack w/ Yakima HighRoller System
285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20" RBP 91Rs

www.ALLIGATORPERFORMANCE.com
0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

When installing the threaded fittings into the transmission (there are four 90* fittings in the kit of which one is about ĹĒ longer) install the longer fitting on the bottom of the transmission as the shorter one will not work due to interference.

When installing the fittings in the radiator use the two with the large washers. The straight one goes in the upper bung and the 45* fitting in the lower bung. You will notice in the kit there was two extra o rings. Install these on the fittings that go into the radiator. That means there will now be two o rings on each fitting. This needs to be done as if you use just the o ring that is on the fitting the large washer will prevent the fitting from seating the o ring in its proper area and the fittings will leak. (Alligator told me that it wasn't necessary and they haven't had any reports of leakage with over 30 installations so far)

Last I went back and made sure there wasnít anything sharp rubbing on the hoses at any place. I started it up and let it run a few minutes and checked for leaks before reinstalling everything so I didnít need to do double work. There is a bracket that hold the hard lines next to the engine block that is a bit of a pain to remove. It has a 10 mm nut/bolt on it that has to be removed to get the old lines out. Also the lines from the transmission are routed different than the factory hard lines but I didnít have a problem with that.

I will start a thread for discussion if anyone has any questions. Link to Thread

Last edited by Marauderer; 03-05-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Word Up
Lifetime Supporting Member

Great write up!

LMM Twinz N sum shyt ATP Tuned

02 LB7 to be EFI'd this week.

cainer70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thanks for taking the time to complete this!!!
285/75/16 BFG All Terrains, all on headlight mod, Lund Genesis Tonneau cover, Rancho shocks, Ranch Hand Grill guard, Kool-vue camping mirrors, LED strobes and interior lightbars, Whelen speaker, Carson siren, 90 gallon aux tank, Nfab 6 steps.

Still need-Cognito 4-6" NTBD lift and PVC reroute "Husker Diesel - 402-502-6961"
DoorMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

subscribed
06LLY- EFILive DSP5 Duramaxtuner, EGR block, 5" exhaust, Banks Ram-Air, pitman/idler braces, Rare Parts tie rods, nicktane-CAT, leveled, Bilstein 5100s, rear airbags, traction bars, road armor bumper, 285/75-16 Dick Cepek F-C II
dmaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Excellent info!

CST 9-11", 37x13.50 18" DC FC II, XD Monsters, Cognito tie-rods and braces, Titan tank, MBRP 6" stacks & downpipe, Pro-Fab headers, Volante CAI, Banks IC tube, Airdog II, PPE pickup, FPRV shimmed, PCV reroute, Ported fuelrail fitting, Banks IQ, EFI Live w/DSP5 switch, Bumpers by Bulletproof, AMP pwr steps, Up-Truck Mudflaps
Dmaxnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
"THEEPASUCKS"
Lifetime Supporting Member

Going to change my lines soon, this will help alot.

Good Job...
Amp Research Steps - Billet Grille - PCV Reroute - DE Down Pipe - MBRP SS Exhaust - AFE Delete Pipe
Cognito Braces - Fabtech HD Tierods - PPE Deep Pan
Dmaxstore - Duramaxtuner - Madjacksracing -
MeyerPerformance - Alligatorperformance - Performancetruckproducts
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What prompts you to notice they need to be replaced? I seen 07.5 lmm I thought that was pretty new to be replacing lines. Jw
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.