Blower Motor Stays on all the time - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Interior Discussion of anything in the cab of your truck.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Blower Motor Stays on all the time

[Hi I am new to the forum...PLEASE HELP!!! I just bought a 2005 CHEVY 2500HD Full Load Leather DURAMAX 4x4, Truck is in pretty nice condition and all, but the one thing I didn't look at was the HVAC/AC system just didn't turn it on so as I was driving it home tried to use the ac it is the dual climate control the thing lite up and looks like it works but no fan??? So when I got home I checked around a bit and found that someone had pulled the 40amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood, so I borrowed one from the ABS plugged it in and bang the blower motor starts to work, here is where it gets crazy the keys were not in the ignition. So fired up the truck and the HVAC unit was working fine set the temp and the fan speed that all works fine, but turn the key off the blower motor should quit right?? No not with this one stays on till I pull the 40amp fuse.. ???
hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

You are going to need to inspect the wiring connector at the resistor and blower motor. This is under the dash on the pass side of the truck. If you go to the search section and put in blower motor or a/c you will find all the info you are looking for.

03 2500HD ccsb 4x4
AFE intake and filter
Edge Juice w/ attitude
4" exhaust
6" CST lift
35" tires
dave.chretien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

GM Canada Recall Blower Motor Resistor Fire Hazard - TheDieselPage.com Forums

it is a recall let gm do it
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I just checked with my local dealer and they are telling me no recall on that unit, but on 2003 model there was something about a resitster with out the climate control. I am going to check the wiring and let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
GM Parts guy
Lifetime Supporting Member

You need to find a different dealer then, it is covered as long as you don't have over 150K miles on your truck, the recall runs from 2003-to 2007 Classic body trucks. Check somewhere else, somewhere that actually knows whats going on... Where are you from? Maybe someone close can point you to a good dealer that knows what they're doing

Her truck - 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

Traded:2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD:2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed

For spicee tuna go to www.TrollPerformance.com
DMAXfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 01:52 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Here is an interesting Bulletin....
But it specifically refers to the CJ3 and C42 HVAC systems. Check your RPOs.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the Ignition Off

Models:
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra
Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition

On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

In very rare events, if the above symptoms are ignored, a fire could occur.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 240,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new blower motor resistor and resistor module connector. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 8, 2011 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 8, 2011 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual HVAC (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42).

2006 Jetta TDI (daily driver)
eric-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

im assuming that since it is fully loaded it has auto hvac. if it does, find the connector at the blower motor resistor and cut the purple wire, but leave enough room to splice it back together. if it stays on with the purple wire cut, the blower resistor is shorted internally. if it shuts off when the wire is cut, the hvac control has an internal short causing it to run the blower all the time. the purple wire is the signal wire going from the hvac control that tells the blower motor resistor what speed to run the motor at.

built trans . S464 . AD2 165 . 7" stack
i_keyser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Wow You guys on this forum are awesome....I checked the RPO Codes and CJ3 - C42 are not there. I do have the full load with climate control...I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada.... I tried cutting the purple wire while I had it running with no key in the ignition and as soon as I cut it, it stopped. there is a little black box that has a couple aluminium fins ( sits in the ducting)with a bunch of wire going to it with the 2 wires purple and black/brown that go to the blower. Is that the BLOWER RESISTOR?? I am going to a buddys place he has a 03 Chevy and I am going to try swaping it...I will keep you guys up dated... Thanks Again!!!

Last edited by hussler; 08-16-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

here's some pics..

2006 Jetta TDI (daily driver)
eric-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-satx View Post
Thanks so much, Just got back from a Buddy's place and he has a 2003 Tahoe with the climate control, swapped out the blower resistor and low an be hold BANG started to work!!! First thing in the morning I will get one...Thanks to you guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.