Think I fried my cluster circuit board doing LED swap - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Interior Discussion of anything in the cab of your truck.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Think I fried my cluster circuit board doing LED swap

I bought the 12 volt LEDS from LED-switch.com that do not require a resistor. So I soldered them in and only one of the lights will flicker. I noticed at the little display strip on the bottom it's burnt so i think I fried it. I also plugged the board in with out the lights installed so maybe this was my problem. So do y'all think I fried my cluster? If not what did I do wrong?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2007 GMC, LBZ, EFI live, air dog 150, transgo jr, cognito 1'' block, rare parts tie rods, cognito supports, bilstein 5100's, 4'' dumped exhaust, LED cluster, denali headlights, led tail lights, color matched front end, edge insight

2003 Cummins leveled on 35'' toyos, valair dual disk clutch, superchip - biggest POS ever-SOLD

1999 Jeep Cherokee 6.5'' lift, 4.56 gears, long armed and a beast - damn I miss it-SOLD

Last edited by FLETCHxj; 11-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
FLETCHxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

well first of all, there are no 12 volt LED lights, they are rated at 3 to 5 volts. second, you have to make sure you connect the positive to the positive and negative to the negative.
also when using the LED lights you have to use 470 ohm resistors on the positive lead of the LED lights. do first remove all the led lights you installed, and reconnect the power connector to see if the lcd still works. if so, then go back and read the write up to convert to LED.
20k curt 5th wheel, 20k goose neck.
still stock. 4x4. 430,000 miles and counting.
transporting new units from factory to ia. dealers and ship.
engine replaced at 404,000 mi with one with 118,000 miles.
cherokeechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

12 Volt LED this is where I got my LEDS

2007 GMC, LBZ, EFI live, air dog 150, transgo jr, cognito 1'' block, rare parts tie rods, cognito supports, bilstein 5100's, 4'' dumped exhaust, LED cluster, denali headlights, led tail lights, color matched front end, edge insight

2003 Cummins leveled on 35'' toyos, valair dual disk clutch, superchip - biggest POS ever-SOLD

1999 Jeep Cherokee 6.5'' lift, 4.56 gears, long armed and a beast - damn I miss it-SOLD
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

i went to the link, and seen they sell 12 volt, but, still, they must connect + to + and - to -, or they will short out the supply voltage to the board. LEDs are diodes. they are light emmitting diodes. they allow voltage to flow one way and not the other. if they are installed wrong, it will short out the voltage supply for the light circuit of the cluster.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I looked at a write up and I believe they are all put in the right way. If they were not would it still cause the little display strip on the bottom to not write up?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

correct. it recieves the same voltage as the lights on the cluster. so if just one is in wrong, then nothing will light up. anotherthing is if you use to much heat on the LEDs, you can burn them out. should always solder one leg, use a heat sink, like needle nose pliers, then let cool, then do the other leg, use heat sink and cool.
soldering is nothing to get in a rush about. i worked in electronics for 15 years, and was an A student in vocational electronics for 2 years. never be in a hurry when soldering on electronic parts. they need to cool a bit before touching again with the iron.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Well I just removed all the LEDS and the strip is still not working.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I am sure you will find the problem, but nothing you have done yet has fried your cluster, I don't think. First thing I would check is to look for soldier bridges/splash where you have been soldiering.

A led installed backwards will not short out, it just will not light up. Furthermore, it does not burn it out. A standard diode has a turn on voltage and will short out at anything above .6 vdc, but a LED diode operates in the turn-on mode and illuminates.
Your LEDs have got a built in resistance allowing them to operate on 12 vdc.

2003 Chevrolet Duramax Suburban K2500