Newbie going BACK to Chevy in Colorado - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Introductions Introduce yourself here

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   eBay Motors  #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalicea View Post
edigert,

I think I need to do that as well. There is a guy here at an auto parts store that gave me a PANTLOAD of advice on the fuel issue. He also carries around with him a fuel tester and checks the fuel before he fuels up. Sounds a bit extreme but in light of my problem, it does not sound so extreme. Also, I have been putting in the anti-gel stuff recommended for very cold weather and hoping that is not screwing up my world too.

So this Stanadyne product, when you say additive, I know they don't have any type of "heat" like for gas, but what does this additive do? Do you change out your fuel filter frequently too?? OH... what if I drained my tank to hopefully get out any water in it as well, or would a separator installed be the remedy for that?? Thank you too sir for the input!

Steve
The fuel additive helps with lubrication, and anti-gel. Some use 2 cycle engine oil for the lubrication. I am not an authority on additives and fuel, I am passing on the information from my mechanic to help prolong the life of my injectors.

I change fuel, oil, and spin on tranny filters at 8,000-10,000 miles.
Pace Arrow Bed Cover
99,000 miles as of 1/1/14
edigert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   eBay Motors  #32 (permalink)

edigert,

What do you mean "spin on" tranny filters... are you talking about external filters you can change yourself? Sorry for all the questions...
scalicea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM   eBay Motors  #33 (permalink)

Quote:
edigert,

What do you mean "spin on" tranny filters... are you talking about external filters you can change yourself? Sorry for all the questions...
No problem, that is what this place is for. Yep, the allisons have an external spin on filter. Very easy to change. There are vendors on here that have package deals for filters. I use madjackracing.com You can pick what type of filters you want, and they have fuel, oil, and tranny in a package.
Pace Arrow Bed Cover
99,000 miles as of 1/1/14
edigert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #34 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
OK ... wow... maybe I am just used to older vehicles, but a power steering cooler will fix a mushy break pedal? Isn't the master cylinder and brake system completely different than the power steering pump?? Or am I just WAY behind the times?? LOL
The hydroboost (master cyl) runs off the power steering pump and if you don't keep the fluid changed or your working the thruck the powersteering runs hotter and my brakes when I got it real hot didn't even wanna work, so after burning through 1 hydroboost from running the wrong fluid and 5 pumps from heat, I put a 8x10 cooler on. Its a little excessive but I already had it laying in the garage so why not. Been good to go ever since.

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   eBay Motors  #35 (permalink)

The New Duramax's are great, but so is the LLY Duramax........how much do you want to spend?
Is it beer thirty yet?
LawnPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 AM   eBay Motors  #36 (permalink)

For starters...

THANKS for all the feedback... got my Dodge sitting in my garage and now not sure what to do with it... trying to work with some car lots for an 05, but wanting to make sure our payment is not huge...

Thanks WVRigRat05... did not know that that system worked that way, LawnPro, we tried to get a NEW truck, but the payment was just out of this world... don't want to eat Top Ramen for the next 7 years...

Edigert brings up a subject that I have heard more than once not only on here, but since I have had these injector problems and that is "lubrication"... ; ) Fun word but do you all use or recommend Lucas Oil lubricant in your fuel? Aside from that, I am thinking, IF I keep this Dodge, of putting a water separator on it too... can't be too careful I guess in light of all the BS I have been going through with injectors... Any suggestions on what separator to use?

What makes me so dang mad, (I have other words for it...), is that after they installed new injectors, they did NOT put a new fuel filter in the truck... going to probably do that tomorrow... I just shake my head at the way they handle stuff, or not handle stuff at some of these dealers... which might be my biggest problem... dealers... Take care all and have a great day...

S
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   eBay Motors  #37 (permalink)
Wide open in neutral

Buy an airdog lift pump if you get the chevy, they have 2- 2 micron filters one of which is a fuel/water sep. if you keep the dodge they already have a pump factory, I'd just put a filter housing on the frame rail and run a cat fuel/water seperator.

"The Blessed Hellride"-08' GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB, 12,000 miles!
Engine-EFI Live, blocked, re routed, air box mod, 3" downpipe, raptor 100 lift pump, amsoil
Trans- Transgo jr. and deep pan
Exhaust- 4" MBRP straight pipe, 5" RBP tip
Suspension- leveled, PAC Brake air bags
Other- Fab fours winch bumper, large fender mod, 17x9 Fuel kranks, 35" Cooper STT's, limo tint, 100 gal. Fuel tank, tool box.
WVRigRat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   eBay Motors  #38 (permalink)

WVRigRat05,
Thanks for the response sir… questions though… when you say “pump factory”, not sure what you mean by that… (when I change out the fuel filter, I am pretty sure I turn a valve to drain the filter housing before I change the filter... not sure if that is what you mean... ) Also, the cat fuel/water separator… I have heard of a Caterpillar separator… is that what you are talking about on the frame? Thanks in advance!!
S
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   eBay Motors  #39 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I second the airdog 2 lift pump so the water separator will help you out....if you are looking at 13's grab it....I have one and love it.....it has a stronger frame, bigger brakes, more hp and torque......it will pull your trailer any speed you wish.......
Sulastic Shackles, Pittman arm and idler arm braces
Bushwacker Cut-Out fender Flares (Color Matched)
33x12.50 Toyo MT's on 20" Moto Metal Wheels
Recon smoked tail lights w/Recon smoked 3rd brake light
Road Armor Color Matched Bumper with Warn 12,000
Rigid D2 Wide beam and Spot LED lights.
Capt.D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM   eBay Motors  #40 (permalink)

Quote:
WVRigRat05,
Thanks for the response sir… questions though… when you say “pump factory”, not sure what you mean by that… (when I change out the fuel filter, I am pretty sure I turn a valve to drain the filter housing before I change the filter... not sure if that is what you mean... ) Also, the cat fuel/water separator… I have heard of a Caterpillar separator… is that what you are talking about on the frame? Thanks in advance!!
S

You're dodge has a factory fuel pump that the duramax does not have. The duramax relys solely on the cp3 injection pump to "suck" fuel from the tank to the pump then feed the injectors. This can be a problem if you run big tunes that require more fuel which the cp3 can not suck enough fuel to keep up so it drains the fuel rails and then IIRC puts the engine in limp mode (limits truck to 2000 rpms) and you'll have to clear the code with your programmer or scanner to get back out of it. It also takes the work off the cp3 since the lift pump pushes fuel to it so it wont have to suck as hard to get the fuel which is good considering this is a 900 dollar cp3
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.