Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

First Time Duramax owner

844 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1AAuto.com 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've been reading the forums for quite some time now getting a feel for what is what and just been trying to inform myself on what Duramax was right for me. I've just purchased an 05 LLY with 186,000 on it and am just looking for beginner tips on the do's and don'ts of this vehicle. I don't have service records so mostly looking for what I should check over before I start relying on this thing. I realize that this is a higher mileage engine to not know the history but as I'm still in college it is what I could afford.

Love the forum so far and looking forward to getting to know everyone on here!

Thanks,
Dustin

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" truck. Very first thing to do is check and see if the turbo mouthpiece has been upgraded. Search "LLY turbo inlet upgrade" for more info. If it runs good and has been well maintained, it will probably give you many years and miles of service.

#3 ·
I just bought a 2004.5 LLY with 201,000 on it and am still in college as well so I'm in the same boat. I've been told to drain fluids and replace and make sure no metal shavings are in tranny fluid as well as turbo mouthpiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yup turbo mouthpiece, transfer case pump rub.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Forgot to include as an Introduction that I have been wrenching with my old man since I was 14 as he owned an auto repair shop and now work full time at an auto parts store so pretty familiar with the basics of most things auto but the world of Diesel is a whole new realm for me. Really looking forward to broadening my knowledge on these things! Thanks for all the replies already and can't wait for more!

Dustin

#7 ·
Forgot to include as an Introduction that I have been wrenching with my old man since I was 14 as he owned an auto repair shop and now work full time at an auto parts store so pretty familiar with the basics of most things auto but the world of Diesel is a whole new realm for me. Really looking forward to broadening my knowledge on these things! Thanks for all the replies already and can't wait for more!

Dustin

Just like to recognize you said college student and working full time. Respect and best of luck with the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Welcome to the DF!

#9 ·
Welcome

#10 ·
welcome friend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.