Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

new to me 05

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  1975offroad 
#1 ·
Hi I just got a 05 2500 ex cab, I am new to duramax world not to diesels.
I currently have a 99 dodge single cab, 5 speed and a 03 vw tdi.
I will be selling the dodge to pay for the new 05

the 05 is a old oil co truck, has bumps, needs tires and a instrument cluster.
I will post up some pics tommorrow.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Welcome to the DF!

#7 ·
Welcome

#14 ·
Budget Cheap, I have been lookinf at LBZ mouth piece vs after market. I will do one of them. Some of the aftermarket mouth oieces are not that much more.

Power wise I dont want to touch the trans so I will stay under that amount.

EGR plate will be one of the first things

Thanks

#19 ·
Yea getting them to breathe helps keep them cool. Keep your eye out for used stuff here in the garage sale/for sale section. You can find good deals on stuff.

But lly are not without their issues. Things to watch for are...
Headgaskets you can check which ones you have looking at the back of the passenger head near the firewall they have a pattern in a tab and a Google search will tell you what they are and size.
Injector Wire harness issues with #2 and #7 injector. Wires pulled tight and at a 90* at the plug. Look up ice pick fix.
1/4 tank issues. The draw straw in the fuel tank sometimes crack and the truck will have fueling issues at 1/4 tank.
FPRV they sometimes have an issue with the fuel pressure relief valve opening to soon or becoming weak and dumping fuel pressure from the fuel rails which makes the truck fall on its face.

Simple fixes but good stuff for you to read up on. The headgaskets are the most expensive but lots of folks here to help guide you.

#20 ·
This has probably been corrected, but check anyway---
At the side of the alternator, the 04.5/05 FICM harness tied down with a Zip tie. Cut the tie and pull the wires from the harness and inspect for cuts and wear. The sharp corner of the FICM bracket where it is tied down to, cuts into the wires. Repair and insulate the harness with a short piece of heater hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.