New to site and new to duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Introductions Introduce yourself here

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

New to site and new to duramax

Hey DF,

I recently purchased a White CCLB 04.5 Chevy 3500 which i've nicknamed "Gringomax." My third diesel vehicle; first being a 6.0 PSD and the second being a Jetta Sportwagen that was just sold back to VW. I bought this truck not knowing it needed a few things. So here I go, jumping in to head gaskets, water pump, wheel bearings, and maybe a transmission along the way. Bought the rig to pull my 20' Thunderjet and a travel trailer that I haven't bought yet, since my 2015 Grand Cherokee gets exhausted quick. I'm a maintenance technician for a semi conductor on production equipment, have served 11 years in the Air Force, and love to wrench. Currently living in Vancouver, WA but in the process of purchasing land to build a house on, near Kelso, WA.

Truck: EFI live, no EGR, 4" turbo back to side exit in front of rear wheel, 35/12.5/18 on 18x9 -12/et wheels, RCD lift, bilstein 5100, intake, inlet, hard intercooler pipes, and an anti-protestor bumper. In the next few days I plan to pull it apart for heads/head gaskets, water pump, t-stats, and maybe a couple things along the way.

So far purchased: Head gaskets, studs, water pump, t-stats, filter head rebuild kit, cat filter adapter, tools (injector removal, flywheel holder, fan spanner), rock slider look side steps, new tires, alignment, stepper motors for gauges, lots of coolant, and plan to do a remote start/alarm when things calm down with head/gasket problems.

I look forward to utilizing the site for some reference and to contribute as much as I can.

Eric
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 PM

welcome

2015 GMC Denali 2500HD 4x4
Xtreme Diesel EGR blocker plates, S&B intake, Flo-Pro exhaust, AirDog, EZ LYNX
Titan fuel tank, Kicker sound system, Ridge Grapplers, Bushwacker flares, Weather Tech, Carhartt seat covers
Hide-a-lift self loader, Air Lift bags with wireless controller.42'light bar in the grill, 26' in the rear. strobe lights in all 4 corners
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:30 PM

it's pretty cool that your going to do the work yourself. hope you have a helper around to lend a hand

Titan fuel tank, Kicker sound system, Ridge Grapplers, Bushwacker flares, Weather Tech, Carhartt seat covers
Hide-a-lift self loader, Air Lift bags with wireless controller.42'light bar in the grill, 26' in the rear. strobe lights in all 4 corners
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a buddy that's willing to help.. Besides the bumper though, I think I'll be able to do most of the job myself. The plan is to remove fenders and go at it from both sides, instead of trying to pull stuff up and out.

I work about 50 hours a week and have an infant, though so not loaded with time... I'm fortunate to have a back up truck to commute 4 minutes to work, and some chevrolegs if that thing fails. This will probably be a project that'll start next Friday night with heads ready to go to machine shop on Monday morning.. Then spend the weekend following receiving the heads to reassemble.

Still half tempted to pay somebody to do it though.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:51 PM

I paid someone to do my last two chevelle motor builds, now that I'm older it's worth paying a little more and having some free time.

How did you get the gold symbol under your name so fast? I assumed that took years to get

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I'd be a lot more inclined to pay somebody if everyone didn't want $4000 + parts. I'm in to parts under $2k, and would prefer to not pay 4 more. And now that I've bought the parts, no major shop will do the work because they can't warranty it, because I bought my own parts. I know a couple guys with independent shops that I will call tomorrow... If I can find a shop to do it for $2k+headwork and give them my parts, i'll go that way.

The gold came with paying for a lifetime membership.. Figured i'd donate and get a shirt/sticker.

-Eric
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

Welcome

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Resonator delete plug, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pacer LED cab lights, GM dually light bar under tailgate, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Wilson 2000 CB antenna, Kenwood speakers, GM chrome oval running boards, Bilstein 5100s, Michelin Defender M/S on PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 AM

Welcome to the DF!

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomax View Post
I recently purchased a White CCLB 04.5 Chevy 3500 which i've nicknamed "Gringomax." So here I go, jumping in to head gaskets, water pump, wheel bearings, and maybe a transmission along the way.

Truck: EFI live, no EGR, 4" turbo back to side exit in front of rear wheel, 35/12.5/18 on 18x9 -12/et wheels, RCD lift, bilstein 5100, intake, inlet, hard intercooler pipes, and an anti-protestor bumper. In the next few days I plan to pull it apart for heads/head gaskets, water pump, t-stats, and maybe a couple things along the way.

So far purchased: Head gaskets, studs, water pump, t-stats, filter head rebuild kit, cat filter adapter, tools (injector removal, flywheel holder, fan spanner), rock slider look side steps, new tires, alignment, stepper motors for gauges, lots of coolant, and plan to do a remote start/alarm when things calm down with head/gasket problems.
4x4? If so may be a good time to do the pump rub plate in the transfer case since the truck is already getting torn into pretty good, especially if the transmission is happening now. The CAT filter adapter polarizes people, some swear by it, some really don't like it. Plenty of opinions to read about it here on this site
What side steps did you go with?

05 CCSB, LBZ MP, diy-airbox mod, Banks intercooler, 3" CAC tubes, MBRP downpipe, 4" exhaust, Banks tuner
Kryptonite UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, Sulastic Shackles with 1.5" lowering shackle, SS brake lines, Kennedy twins
Transmission if I can ever find a place to do a swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode