Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

JOKER'S '06 C5500 4x4

38K views 168 replies 33 participants last post by  mizterwizard 
#1 ·
I bought a 2006 C5500 picker with a blown engine.
The previous owner said it had a BAD knock, so I went to check it out. One of the Autocals found a bad stick and GP in cyl. #6.
I pulled one of the oil filler caps of and got all the blow-by from the missing piston. Paid a fair price, brought her home and the work began.

Pulled it home behind the LML (at night). 21,400 pinned to the bumper. 140 HP tune.

Started with this.

Old mill came out.

Inspected.

Piston 6 and two valve heads in the pan.

Long block from GM. LMM block and heads.

Goodies.

See less See more
#4 ·
Impressive, sir!

#6 ·
Thank you, friend.

Haven't seen ya post in awhile Joker, lookin' good. If someone wants to build a race truck on a budget some guys use the C5500 manifolds and uppipes instead of aftermarket manifolds and uppipes, some say they flow better. Only drawback is you have to massage the cab for them to fit....
=

=
=
C20!!!!! Long time! You're bang on; the medium duty downpipe isn't clearanced (squished) like the light duty ones.

#5 ·
Haven't seen ya post in awhile Joker, lookin' good. If someone wants to build a race truck on a budget some guys use the C5500 manifolds and uppipes instead of aftermarket manifolds and uppipes, some say they flow better. Only drawback is you have to massage the cab for them to fit....
=

=
=

#11 ·
Looks way better, eh?

Pros:
-lowered HWY RPM to the torque sweet-spot
-additional sidewall height over old 19.5s offers a much nicer ride
-added about 5" of ground clearance without touching the suspension
-looks more gooder....er
-less expensive tires

Cons:
-nada

#22 ·
That sir, is a TRUCK!!! Big tires and wheels make it! The 19.5s were a bit small. Stacks look good too

#26 ·
Subd

#28 ·
Texas is still around to.

I didn't know you put different tires on it bud, looks good! I might have to come up to site and drive it for you. I can even weld...:D

I was actually up in Charlie lake today on a hotshot. Wondered how far of a scoot into Alberta it would take to end up on your door step lol.

Looks mint. Just needs your signature front bumper now :thumb

#34 ·
Much nicer with the big wheels and tires. You know you can let me know you're swinging up here any day.

LOL.

Are you going to make the LML your toy now and this the new welding rig?
The LML is the toy hauler and road-trip truck now. It's been a great truck.
It gets a LOT of rest, since I'm daily driving one of my square bodies.

Jeez a team of master mechanics must have built that thing....:D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By the way folks, crossfire879 was the master mechanic who drove about 5 hours to help we with the engine swap in this thing. A friendship that started on DF!

Tires look great. I love the looks of a Kodiak with a flatbed.
The Monroe conversions are sweet too, but having such a big deck allowed me to build a MASSIVE welding skid. :smile2:

S.u.b.s.c.r.i.b.e.D
Haha! Let's get the crew cab together.

#30 ·
Jeez a team of master mechanics must have built that thing....:D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Tires look great. I love the looks of a Kodiak with a flatbed.

#37 · (Edited)
In case any of you lovely folks are wondering what happened to the original engine...

I believe Inj. #6 hydrolocked the cylinder, popped the piston on the compression stroke, then threw bits around for the next stroke or two, as the rod bashed the piston off the wrist pin. It was two exhaust valves that took the hit, so some piston likely flew off on the exhaust stroke.

Here is an awesome picture of one exhaust valve stem poking through the valve cover, over #6.
It broke the valve springs, rocker and spreader bar (across the two exhaust valves).

I found bits of piston in BOTH intakes, and throughout the driver's side head.

#38 ·
JB Weld....& GTW. :farmer

#44 ·
Man, that square body is killer, what kinda gears, engine, and Trans setup?

#45 ·
Thanks BAMA. It is what it is.

1980 K30 3+3
6.2/456/205/60/14FF
6" springs
X-over
Springless kingpins
Steering damper
2 1/4" duals, 28" glasspack in each pipe, 90° turn-downs under the box
aaaaand other stuff...

Someone swapped in a naturally aspirated 6.2 Detroit, with a J-code intake and some other Humvee stuff.
I know that people throw 6.2s in the trash, but not swap them INTO things. :p

4.10s my man. Thank goodness for 1st in the 465. She ain't a wheeler (I have another one for that), but it does walk through the nasty stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.