Synthetic power steering fluid? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush

For the OP, I'd also flush the brake fluid at the same time as the HB/PS flush.

How To: Brake Fluid Flush

If you have a pneumatic source, I noticed this week that HF has this above kit on sale for $25. Flush yearly, never go more than 2 years...and brake fluid is cheap.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLE DURAMAX View Post
Sounds to me like you may have a PS pump going out bc mine has never been flushed at 151k and it doesn't squel at all
Interesting... I'll have to take advantage of my extended warranty and get it checked out. When parking, I also get the occasional "rapid shudder" felt up through the steering wheel. But I bet I won't be able to get it to make a single sound when I take it in -- you know how that is.

Back to the thread:
I was looking into the Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering fluid mentioned in PIT4208B. But from what I can tell Valvoline no longer makes it?

2006 Jetta TDI (daily driver)
eric-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Yeah, they discontinued it. You'll still see links for it, but they just re-direct to their dino fluid instead.

Redline offers syn, but I've found that it doesn't hold up to high heat any better than standard, cheap, store brands of dino.

Royal Purple and Amsoil are the only other two now available that I know of.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Its a great write up but its on another forum. Here is a link to it. Its Easy and fast it took me about 3 qts to completely flush.

Hydro Boost/Power Steering Flush
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
Fumoto Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

lol... Here it is on the DF:

How To: Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-satx View Post
lol... Here it is on the DF:

How To: Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush
Crap had I read the whole thread I would have seen that Hook'em posted it......DUH I am dense!

Its still a great write up on either forum!
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
Fumoto Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLE DURAMAX View Post
Sounds to me like you may have a PS pump going out bc mine has never been flushed at 151k and it doesn't squel at all
You were right!!

New one going in tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for all the input guys! I actually called Redline Oil the other day asking about their recommendation for my truck. They recommend their D4 ATF. The main difference between PS fluid and ATF is friction modifiers anyhow, and I know from experience that D4 is one of the best synthetic(Group 5 polyol ester base) ATF's available. As far as their PS fluid not holding up to heat, I'm gonna strongly disagree. Countless race teams use Redline PS fluid because it's proven to not foam and overheat like Dino versions do. Even though our systems do get hot, it's nothing like a built vette on a track day. Their PS fluid may not be best for a Dmax(it is the old GM spec just like Amsoil) but that's why I'm asking you guys to see what DOES work. I'm an oil guy (BITOG) but I still prefer to see what's working for others. I might just try the D4 ATF and see what happens. Anything would be better than the stock crap which makes steering difficult at best.
AZFIREGUY79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 AM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFIREGUY79 View Post
....As far as their PS fluid not holding up to heat, I'm gonna strongly disagree. Countless race teams use Redline PS fluid because it's proven to not foam and overheat like Dino versions do. Even though our systems do get hot, it's nothing like a built vette on a track day.
Race teams and a built vette all utilize a HydroBoost system to stop mega-tons of weight?

Not a fair comparison IMO to our truck's use, as the HB unit creates far more heat than a PS pump alone. Trust me, their PS fluid torched just as quickly as regular off-the-shelf dino did. Just my experience, but give it a try.

The Royal Purple in use now has lasted 3 times as long, so far. But, in all fairness, it's been in use with the turbo-brake, where the others tried were not.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
Banned

Hookemhorns- I can tell you for a fact that a race prep'd Vette produces way more heat than do our HB units. These guys boil fluid, have it foam over etc when using a conventonal fluid. Many events are held in blistering temps on top of that. Not trying to be a jerk, but I have studied lubes quite extensively and used many. Royal purple is a Group IV mix and does not contain any Group V esters which have superior thermal characteristics. Redline blends a good percentage of Group V and IV, thus giving it an advantage in high heat applications. I think you have too many variables to say Royal Purple is better. Did you do a UOA on the previous fluids?? I dont go off of just how quiet it is, appearance(color, which is merely a dye if one is used) or smell. I use these in conjunction with a UOA to see whats really going on. None of these meet GM's new spec and that is why I was asking. Dont want to buy a case of Amsoil for near $100 only to find that GM's juice or regular PS fluid is better and is intended for said application. Not slamming Amsoil, but their Gm spec is the old one. Not for our rigs. Redline is the same way, their PS fluid IS NOT recommended for our HB system. They spec D4.

Has anyone used ATF in these? Results? I realize ATF is very similar to PS fluid, aside from friction modifiers, but want to see real world experience before I go buy $15 per quart GM stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by AZFIREGUY79; 11-04-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
AZFIREGUY79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.