how much engine do I have to remove to replace the alternator - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

how much engine do I have to remove to replace the alternator

My alternator is squealing, and I looked at it this morning. It looks like I have to remove the fan shroud and part of the air intake just to get my ratchet into the hole on the tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt to remove the alternator. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated
kevinv52000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

You can get a ratchet on it without taking anything off... Then just take the belt off, disconnect the batteries, and unplug the alternator and remove the two mounting bolts. Also I never took the intake off to do them, although if you have the time it might make things easier to see. Its a pretty easy job, did one on my buddies three times in one day, got it down to about a 5 minute job. What year truck is yours?
2002 CCSB 4x4 LT. Dark charcoal exterior/black leather interior. 20x9 Death Metal Novakanes. 33 12.50 20 MT's. NBS smoked cab lights. Double Din in dash. 5" exhaust. Downpipe. AirDog II 165. Home made 4" intake. Home made traction bars. KrYpTiK Tuned.

Last edited by jessman388; 01-07-2012 at 09:08 AM.
jessman388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

None. Stick your arm down there with a breaker bar and release the tension on the belt. Unbolt the Alternator, install new one, put belt back on. Done.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

answer to my own question

So here is my experience today. I have a 2006 lly. It has a wonderful plastic cage around the back side of the fan. I know that it was put there to keep you out of the fan but really, if you are that stupid you deserve to be taken out of the gene pool. Any way I digress, so as I look down at the tensioner there is NO space to get a ratchet into the hole because one of the spokes from the cage is in that space. Unfortunately, I left my FEIN tool at a clients place so I had to use a hack saw blade and a dremel tool, but the aforementioned spoke is no longer in my way. With it removed I had NO problem accessing the belt tensioner. While I had to replace my alternator, I decided to replace the serpentine belt. You remember the cage the i mentioned I love so much, yeah it was again in the way to be able to remove the belt from the crank shaft pulley. Well that same cage is no longer a part of my truck. I peacefully cut each spoke from the outer ring and then snapped them from the inner ring. Then I cut the inner ring into two pieces and removed it from around the fan clutch. Wow know have a lot of space to access all of the pulleys. It was much easier to install the new belt, and much less cussing at the wonderful engineers who design our trucks with no regard to serviceability. I thing they should all have to perform every service item on the truck before they are allowed to work for any car company. IMHO Any way that was my experience with changing my alternator and serpentine belt. Thanks for the replies.
kevinv52000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You think that's tight, look under the hood of a 6.4l ford
2003 2500HD LT CCLB, EFILive by Idaho Rob, 4" MBRP, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Ported Intake Horn, S&B Intake, PPE Boost Valve, ADII, Nicktane CAT Adapter, CTS Insight, Cognito UCA, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Cognito Brace kit, Bilsteins, Gear Alloy wheels, Hankook RF10 285's, All on Mod, DDM 5k Low's & 4300 Fogs, air horn, on board air, limo tint, blue led interior
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I would like to see a picture of what you are talking about. I can easily fit a big ratchet onto my tensioner, and have done my fair share of serpentine belts on these. Im just curious what the cage looks like, obviously none I have messed with have had this cage. Just curious is all. Glad you got er done man.
2002 CCSB 4x4 LT. Dark charcoal exterior/black leather interior. 20x9 Death Metal Novakanes. 33 12.50 20 MT's. NBS smoked cab lights. Double Din in dash. 5" exhaust. Downpipe. AirDog II 165. Home made 4" intake. Home made traction bars. KrYpTiK Tuned.
jessman388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
You think that's tight, look under the hood of a 6.4l ford
Hahahaha^

OP: I think your making this way harder than it actuator is. It only takes an hour tops to change and alternator

Autoguide
GMguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.