Allision Transmission Oil Change - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Allision Transmission Oil Change

I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax/Allison transmission and having trouble locating exactly I need to do a 30K Tranny Oil change. Anyone have recommedations on what oil to buy (assuming synthetic), how much of it is needed and what filter to buy. I've looked already on dmaxstore.com but I was looking for specifics for the new LML package. 2011 and 2012 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Transynd or one of the equivalents (Amsoil and Castrol both make them) Basically if your just changing the spin-on filter you will loose less than 1qt. They dont require the internal filter to be changed till the tranny needs a rebuild but it really wont hurt to do it and its cheap. Without doing a full flush and fill you will need about 2-3 gallons to drop the pan and change the filters, a full flush can take up to 5. Your truck probably came with synthetic in it already
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

i use ams oil, for all my fluids and never had any problems.
for the tranny use
Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid by ams oil
( AMSOIL - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) )
a full fill up is aprox 12.7 quarts
and for the filter inside the wix product number is 58970
and for the spin on, i would just buy an allision spin on which is red i belive and you can pick it up and a few deisel websites or from the allision website i think.... i know a few aftermarket stores in my area have them so look at auto stores near you... hope this helped. all my information i got was off the amsoil website.
40" interco tires
SDP Twins / airdog 165
PPE stage 5 trans
EFI by kory willis ( BIG THANKS )
7" kenwood touch screen / 15" audioque sub / 1audioque amp/1 JL amp
10"sierra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the info.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Your fluid coming from the factory is going to be a dex 6. What fluid to run gets a lot of debate here. Allison recommends Castrol Transynd for your tranny. AMSOIL makes a direct replacement to Transynd called Torque Drive. Though some find this not to be the same because it is not certified by Allison, AMSOIL made Torque Drive by back formulating Transynd so the two fluids are the same. They recommend Torque Drive an all Allison transmissions. AMSOIL also makes a replacement to Dex 6, this being Low Viscosity ATF. I prefer Torque Drive over this based on the Allison recommendation.

The total fill on your tranny is 12.7 qts. There are several ways to do what you are looking for. Some will do a drain and fill, change the spin on add about 8 qts of fluids then do it again in about 50k miles. Others will drop the pan and change the internal to do this, I would have 3 gallons of fluid on hand as you will need around 9-10 qts. Again folks will do this service again in 50k. Lastly, their is the hoot flush. This is a manual flush of your tranny where basically you disconnect one of the cooler lines, then start the truck and have someone pour new tranny fluid into the dipstick until new fluid comes out the cooler line. There is a DIY here that gives you the exact steps.

I carry AMSOIL products and either Allison or WIX tranny filters. I can save you 25-35% off the retail price you see on the AMSOIL website. If I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I think Transyn is the best bet.. But if u want zero warranty problems from your GM dealer run Dex VI till warranty runs out ..Then do what you want.. Just my thoughts
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
bubblebutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Dex 6 is syn......Trans Synd is also syn but group 4 base oil and can handle cold/heat slightly better. Chevron makes a great fluid called Syn Trans HD....it is not TES 295 cert. though. Chevron will not pay the fees to Allison however they do make the Deere fluid that is certified. I think Dex 6 is just fine and the Castrol has only a small edge in a little lower pour point. For every gallon of Tans Synd made they pay a fee to Allison which only makes it more expensive. The Cognis brand is TES 295 and is simply Chevron Syn Trans HD just rebranded and cost about 8 bucks more per gallon to pay for the cert. Since you don't change the fluid that often I would just bite the bullet and get Trans Synd.......But there is not a whole lot of difference between that and Dex 6......but Trans Synd is better head to head just not by much. Funny thing is......DEX 6 IS NOT TES 295 OR TES 389 FOR THAT MATTER!!! THAT IS A ALLISON HD EXTENDED WARRANTY/DRAIN INTERVAL SPEC.

RF

Last edited by Reel Fun; 06-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Reel Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmozer View Post
I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax/Allison transmission and having trouble locating exactly I need to do a 30K Tranny Oil change. Anyone have recommedations on what oil to buy (assuming synthetic), how much of it is needed and what filter to buy. I've looked already on dmaxstore.com but I was looking for specifics for the new LML package. 2011 and 2012 models.
Nothing has really changed on the 2011 as far as fluids and capacities. There is a drain plug on the tranny pan same as the oil pan on the engine and you will get about 2 gallons out of it. You do not need to change the internal filter at this point with only 30k on the truck. You do need to change the external filter and make sure you get the magnet off of it, clean it and replace it on the new filter you install.

We carry an Allison Maint package that is 2 gallons of the fluid of your choice (Amsoil Torque Drive or Transynd) and 1 genuine Allison spin-on filter all for one low price.

Allison Maint Pkg
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Factory fill is conventional Dex 6. Id go with Allison TranSynd. Buy the Allison brand spin on filter. You can go to the Allison website to search for a dealer in your area for the spin on filter & TranSynd fluid. Or buy online.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 06-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

No reason to use anything other than the Dexron VI while your truck is under its drivetrain warranty for the first 100K miles. Allison's recommended change interval is every 25K miles which is overkill with a synthetic but it is what needs to be done to protect the warranty.

First Allison external filter change is at 7500 miles and it is the filter only and not the fluid. Allison brand filters online are around $10 each plus shipping.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.