Fuel Injector Leak?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel Injector Leak??

I am new to the duramax world, so I was hoping I could obtain answers/assistance from all of you. I have a 2005 2500HD Duramax 6.6 and was pulling my 2005 Sandpiper toyhauler a week ago to PA for a family camping trip. My truck was running well and my gauges never moved to indicate a problem nor did my check engine light come on. It wasn't until a tow truck pulled up next me and the driver told me he smelt diesel fuel from my truck. I pulled over and could immediately smell fuel. I looked under my truck and noticed fuel was dripping from all over the place so I could identify where it was leaking from. I took it to a dealer who told me a screw beneath my fuel filter was loose, so it was tightened with no charge. I didn't notice any other problems after that. It was until i was driving back to northern VA (2.5 hours away but took me about 4 with driving very slow) when I started to smell fuel again and noticed white smoke from exhaust. when I got home, I took off the inner wheel well cover to see if i could see where the fuel was leaking from. My fuel filter was dry; however, i noticed that fuel appeared to be leaking from a fuel injector behind my fuel filter (unk what # fuel injector). I want to replace fuel injector myself, but I have never done this before.

I contacted a chevy dealer to see if my injectors fell under the "special program" of GM replacing the injectors with my warranty already being expired since its a 2005 with about 75,000 miles. I was told it did not and that this program was only for 2001-2004 duramax's.

Can anyone assist with a DIY to replace fuel injectors? do i have to replace all or can i replace just the one? do i have to replace fuel lines? etc... since i saw white smoke from exhaust, did I damage engine?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. or if anyone is in Northern VA that could assist with fixing, I would be most grateful.
Diesel Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I doubt you need a new injector. You may need a return line or a feed line. Or the feed line just may need to be tightened. The cylinders on the pass side are 2, 4, 6, 8. 2 being near the radiator and 8 being near the fire wall.
whtdmax06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I hope that is the problem. I apologize in advance for this ignorant question... If I remove the fuel filter to get to the fuel injector and fuel lines, determine the line was loose and tighten it, can I put my ignition to acc to see if fuel continues to leak? or will this have a negative affect? or do i have to install the fuel filter back on before I can test it?

Is there a way to just remove the fuel filter bracket with the filter still attached to move it out of the way to get to lines/injector?

Im just trying to get answers before I start. I dont want to damage anything.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

If you put it to acc it will not leak. There is no pump besides the injection pump which you would need the engine running to turn over.

You can very easily take the two bolts out on the filter head assembly and move it out of the way while the engine is running to find your leak.
whtdmax06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtdmax06 View Post
I doubt you need a new injector. You may need a return line or a feed line. Or the feed line just may need to be tightened. The cylinders on the pass side are 2, 4, 6, 8. 2 being near the radiator and 8 being near the fire wall.
the passenger side is 1 3 5 7 from front to back, its opposite from the gassers

Some things that make the truck go
jkmahlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Im taking my truck to an auto hobby shop tonight. Hopefully its just a loose fuel line and not the injector itself. I will keep you updated. Thanks again
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Well, I was able to move my fuel filter assembly out of the way and was able to get to the fuel injector. I noticed it was wet around the area where the fuel line attaches to the injector. I cleaned the area with a compressed air. started my truck and noticed it was leaking fuel from the line. So I loosened the fuel line, then re-tightened and so far NO fuel leak. Extremely excited that it was not my injector. If it starts leaking again, I will just replace the line itself. Thanks again
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

glad to hear you got it figured out

Some things that make the truck go
jkmahlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Another place to check--

The injectors have a plastic "T", with a o-ring and a line on each one. They are connected together. That returns unused fuel to the fuel tank. The plastic T can crack. GM sells the complete part for each side. They are held in place at the top of the injector with a small hair pin clip.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

That's good to hear Diesel Newbie. Thanks for updating us, I think I have a similar issue.
Fumoto drain valve and stainless bleeder screw from Merchant.
Bilstein 5100's from Norcal Nick.
Prodigy P3 brake controller.
Transynd, Mobil Delvac and Stanadyne PF.
stanleyrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.