Coolant Leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Coolant Leak

I have a coolant leak that is confusing me. I am dumping fluid in the passenger wheelwell. I am not sure if it leaking out of the overflow tank or is there a hose that is blowing coolant out. It is coating the wheelwell but the engine compartment is completely dry. I drove it 500 miles yesterday and another 200 today and now the tank is almost empty. It is getting coolant down the side of the truck as I drive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Sounds like you have blown head gaskets. When the coolant overflow tank overflows it sprays it right into the passenger wheel well. Drive it a few good miles then let it sit for a few hours and check upper radiator hose, if hose is still hard/pressurised then you need new head gaskets.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

That is what I was worried was the problem. Wouldn't it overflow into the engine compartment too though? I have opened the cap on the tank after sitting for a few hours and it still had pressure.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Before you jump to conclusions of a bad head gasket, why don't you get a cooling system pressure tester and pressure the system to 15psi and then check for drips. A small coolant leak, or pinhole in a hose, overflow tank etc. can spray a couple feet easy. You have an EGR cooler on that side and also heater hose connections as well as the overflow tank and hoses. As far as the head gasket goes, start the truck and let it run for a few minutes and feel the upper radiator hose. You may feel bubbling inside of it which would be an indicator of a bad head gasket etc. Also when a head gasket goes bad you may see white smoke from the exhaust on start up, or while driving, and also the temp. gauge tends to fluctuate alot while driving.
2006 K3500 Silverado, LBZ, 243K miles Raptor 150GPH lift pump and fuel lines, PPE race plug, Magnaflow cat-delete 4in exhaust, 42% over Industrial Inj.CP3, Rebuilt Injectors 30% over, 4094VVT stage 2 turbo, autometer gauges, EGR block off, EFI live tuned by Idaho Rob, Banks cold air intake, Banks super scoop
find01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

find01, thanks for the things to check.
When this first started I was thinking it could be the tank itself. The temp has not been moving anymore than before, staying right around 192 while driving and getting up to 199 when stopping and starting then going right back down. Yesterday when I was leaving I started it with the remore start to see if it was blowing white smoke when it first started and it wasn't. I was just looking more and there is a hose at the bottom of the A/C condenser that is not hooked up to anything, is this supposed to go somewhere? It just a short hose, not sure if it was connected to anything before.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

You probably mean the evaporator. Located at the firewall on the passengers side right? That hose is the evaporator drain. It lets condensation run out when the A/C is running.
2006 K3500 Silverado, LBZ, 243K miles Raptor 150GPH lift pump and fuel lines, PPE race plug, Magnaflow cat-delete 4in exhaust, 42% over Industrial Inj.CP3, Rebuilt Injectors 30% over, 4094VVT stage 2 turbo, autometer gauges, EGR block off, EFI live tuned by Idaho Rob, Banks cold air intake, Banks super scoop
find01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Duramax's rarely mix coolant and oil when they blow gaskets. If you still have pressure after several hours of sitting then you have headgasket issues. Also they almost never overheat either when there headgaskets blow.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Check the plastic coolant tank. I've heard of them cracking on the bottom at the seam and leaking coolant.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Looked more into it yesterday. Added coolant to the tank. When I opened the cap there was a little pressure but not much. Started the truck with cap off the tank and it started to push the coolant up and out the drain hose. Once the truck warmed up enough to where the t-stat opened (I'm guessing) the coolant quit coming out. I added more coolant and let it run a while longer. Coolant stayed at the same level.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Whats the build date of your truck? Look on the passenger side frame rail right under the door. The tage is upside down with the date on it and a bar code.

"Quotes found on the Internet are not always accurate " Abraham Lincolon"
6.6 Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.