what is the best oil for 6.6 duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Wink what is the best oil for 6.6 duramax

I have a 2002 GMC 3500 4x4 6.6 turbo diesel that is having the injectors replaced. The diesel shop is also doing the oil. I asked what oil they use and they said semi synthetic made by Conoco Phillips. This sounds similar to Rotella which I have been told stinks. Please advise me as this does not seem like the right choice of oil for my truck. I am new here please be kind.
duramax cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DAMMIT Another Upgrade
Supporting Member

I use Rotella T6 full synthetic, Truck runs quiet and smooth. I've run it in both of Duramaxes. By the way welcome to DF. You may end up opening a can of worms with this question.

www.performancetruckproducts.com
dhaynie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax cowgirl View Post
I have a 2002 GMC 3500 4x4 6.6 turbo diesel that is having the injectors replaced. The diesel shop is also doing the oil. I asked what oil they use and they said semi synthetic made by Conoco Phillips. This sounds similar to Rotella which I have been told stinks. Please advise me as this does not seem like the right choice of oil for my truck. I am new here please be kind.
there will be as many opinions on this as there are brands of oil. some guys like mobil 1, delvac seems to be popular, rotella doesnt stink to my knowledge, amsoil might be the best, etc. dont know anyone using conoco though. prob be ok til u figure out what to run next time...oh, and welcome!
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

We run Delo in all of our equipment, trucks, Pickups, Jeep, blazer, four wheelers, tractor, lawn mower, squeaky gate hinges, etc. and it works fine.

Sent from my Nokia flip phone

04 LLY RC/LB. LBZ mp. Blocked. Rerouted. EFI by Idaho Rob. Firestone Ride Rites. Boost and EGTs on the pillar.
87 Chevy K5 Blazer.

Republicans--We work hard so you don't have to.
04LLYDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Your not from NC are you? I have a friend with an 02' having injectors done right now that's why I ask lol. And I run rotella in my truck with a delco filter

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by ferdkila; 08-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.
ferdkila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Banned

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
ferdkila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for making me feel welcome. No not from NC I am from Arizona. Yes I have heard much and many different things about type of oil to use. I started searching this site because I was having issues with what three different shops said is injectors. Yes, I have a trust issue when it comes to mechanics...sorry...it's tuff being a chick and taking your truck in. Think I should go to school to become a diesel mechanic or at least educate myself enough to not get taken advantage of. I would rather use a better oil but will have it redone when I get it back from the mechanics. Another question...I am having all 8 injectors replaced which is way costly. I am told they are GMC injectors but they are remanufactured and there is no brand new ones? They also only carry a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty at $350.00 a piece. Does this sound right?
duramax cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

thats what they r goin for around here...from the dealer
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Just use a top brand engine oil. 5W-40 or 15W-40 engine oil.
Too many opinions on the best oil. Its more of a personal preferance on the brand/best oil to use.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 08-21-2012 at 02:00 AM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
This sounds similar to Rotella which I have been told stinks.
I have yet to find an oil that smells good.. It all smells like a big pile of dinosaur poop to me.

Sent from my Nokia flip phone

04 LLY RC/LB. LBZ mp. Blocked. Rerouted. EFI by Idaho Rob. Firestone Ride Rites. Boost and EGTs on the pillar.
87 Chevy K5 Blazer.

Republicans--We work hard so you don't have to.
04LLYDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.